What TV show have you just watched

BigT

LE
At my sons behest we've been binging a couple of Netflix teen supernatural series over the last week that required absolutely no intellectual effort but were quite enjoyable.

Lock and Key which is about a recently widowed mother and her three kids moving into their late fathers family mansion after which spooky hi jinks ensue, it was a bit predictable but I've actually watch worse things.

The other series was The Chilling Adventure of Sabrina. I remember my my eldest daughter watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch twenty odd years ago but this isn't anything like that it's based on the comic which was way darker. It's more like Beverly Hills 90210 if it had been written by Dennis Wheatly and William Peter Blatty.

I've noticed a bit of a pavlovian response with my son, If I say Kiernan Shipka he breaks into a sweat and goes to his room, I used to do that in the 70's / 80's when anyone mentioned Debby Harry..

I enjoyed Walking Britain’s Lost Railways (Channel 5, Sunday’s, 8pm).

It is presented by Rob Bell who is the annoying Marcus Brigstock lookylikey who was Mr “Everything Is Spooky” in Abandoned Engineering. However, he is tolerable in this, presumably because he is not just making some comment on something he has never seen.

He does come across as genuinely interested, if a bit excited.

He was in the north east yesterday, which, however you look at it, is the birthplace of the world railways.

Of course if you aren’t interested in old railways, industrial architecture, steam powered engines and the Industrial Revolution it’s probably as riveting (ho ho) as competitive knitting.

I enjoyed Walking Britain’s Lost Railways (Channel 5, Sunday’s, 8pm).

It is presented by Rob Bell who is the annoying Marcus Brigstock lookylikey who was Mr “Everything Is Spooky” in Abandoned Engineering. However, he is tolerable in this, presumably because he is not just making some comment on something he has never seen.

He does come across as genuinely interested, if a bit excited.

He was in the north east yesterday, which, however you look at it, is the birthplace of the world railways.

Of course if you aren’t interested in old railways, industrial architecture, steam powered engines and the Industrial Revolution it’s probably as riveting (ho ho) as competitive knitting.
Competitive Knitting can be found on Sky Sports, Obscure. CH.9999 on Freeview.

The Outsider.

I rate Ben Mendelsohn, I like Stephen King stuff, but **** me, is this slow! Got bored now. Watched five episodes and it's gone nowhere. Sorry, but you've lost us.

Classic case of actors producing and starring in stuff. They seem to have this misconception that we're interested in their character development over and above, and often at the expense of, the story.

We're not.

Stop padding out something that should be four episodes, six max, to eight or ten.

The Outsider.

I rate Ben Mendelsohn, I like Stephen King stuff, but **** me, is this slow! Got bored now. Watched five episodes and it's gone nowhere. Sorry, but you've lost us.

Classic case of actors producing and starring in stuff. They seem to have this misconception that we're interested in their character development over and above, and often at the expense of, the story.

We're not.

Stop padding out something that should be four episodes, six max, to eight or ten.
I don’t think it is “slow”. In fact I think it is probably the best TV adaptation of a King novel.

I like the plot development. King sets up a real quandary (all the evidence says guilty yet all the evidence says not guilty) which I wondered how he would resolve when I read the book.

I had hoped he would keep it grounded in reality (like the Mr Mercedes book, but not the two Bill Hodges/Holly Gibney sequels) but assumed that King being who he was the only real way to resolve it would be to invoke the supernatural.

I am caught between wanting to record it all for a binge and wanting to see how each episode pans out.

My big moans are the sound recording, the fact that all the internal shots seem to have been filmed through a very dark green filter and Holly is black (I couldn’t care less if any, or indeed all of the other actors were black but Holly is definitively white. The actress is very good though).

arcticfox042

War Hero
Just finished the final season of 'Justified' ........ fantastic...............

Just finished the final season of 'Justified' ........ fantastic...............
One of those shows that people either liked or hated, I loved it and have re-watched all 6 seasons 3 times.

The Outsider.

We're not.

Same here, it got binned mid episode 5 and we haven't turned it on again since then.

(I couldn’t care less if any, or indeed all of the other actors were black but Holly is definitively white. The actress is very good though).
Curious, in Outsider is it supposed to be the same Holly from Mr Mercedes?

The latest Narcos Mexico series two has just been released.
I am not disappointed. at episode 3.
Crusty with an all empowering presence of truth and realism.
They should do a version of NI (subtitled, obvs)

Season 1 & 2 of Ash vs the Evil Dead.

Quite funny and very graphic violence, just the sort of thing I like.

Hidden Series 2 started last week. BBC4 on IPlayer. It took a while to find it.

Trapped. The Icelandic Detective series 2 starts this week in Netflix.

Curious, in Outsider is it supposed to be the same Holly from Mr Mercedes?
It is indeed. Same character as in Mr Mercedes and the other two books in the Bill Hodges trilogy. Excellent though the actress is I can’t really see her having a blue eyed blonde sister.

Apparently the director wanted a role for her.

Currently binge-watching Killing Eve and I'm very impressed. The characters are genuinely interesting, and the performances of the lead and main supporting actors are excellent.

Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh both hit the spot as well, although for different reasons.

The latest Narcos Mexico series two has just been released.
I am not disappointed. at episode 3.
Crusty with an all empowering presence of truth and realism.
They should do a version of NI (subtitled, obvs)
Have the last episode to watch. I wasn't disappointed and looking foward to season 3

Currently binge-watching Killing Eve and I'm very impressed. The characters are genuinely interesting, and the performances of the lead and main supporting actors are excellent.

Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh both hit the spot as well, although for different reasons.
First series was a breath of fresh air - then they changed writer and Villanelle became a parody of herself and the sophistication was lost.

First series was a breath of fresh air - then they changed writer and Villanelle became a parody of herself and the sophistication was lost.
I would agree with that assessment except to say I thought it became more about Sandra 'Oh No I wouldn't **' rather than about the titular Villanelle.

**Really not getting the adoration of Sandra Oh I think she is a bit of a flat chested mutt tbh. Jodie Cummer on the other hand is deffo on my lets fake making a baby list.

Latest series of Inside No. 9 on the beeb. Wuz on hols last week so watched the first episode on iPlayer Sunday evening. Apologies if mentioned up thread, but it was about the shenanigans in a footie officials' changing room and the referee's swansong game where he fixed the match. Good episode but not quite to the standard of the previous series I thought.

Then Monday's episode was treat. Back to the quirky, dark sometimes unsettling humour. And some good one liners. David who fixated about his dead domineering mother had a new girlfriend who '...filled his missing mother shaped hole...…' Errrr, yeah I know. Go with it and view it in context, it made me and the other half laugh.
Episode 2 of the latest series was classic Shearesmith/Pemberton/League of Gentlemen and all the better for it. Dark, disturbing, hilarious and unsettling, all rolled into a superb 30 minute episode.
My favourite one liner:
Mum: “Remember what the Scout Master said to you”?
David: “Don’t tell anyone”?! :grin:
Mr Jelly, the sweary It-like clown was also well done.

Latest Threads