What TV show have you just watched

I think The Americans was being shown on 5USA when they stopped showing it halfway through.
Channel 5 have a habit of doing that on their various channels. They didn't show the final season of Sons of Anarchy nor the final season of Justified.
That really bugs me. It seems to happen with increasing frequency.

I assume that the producers ask for too much money for subsequent series, not realising that the show became popular because it was shown on minor terrestrial channels and gained a following.

Or, having gained a following, it was picked up by pay2view channels.

Either way it’s bloody annoying.

exspy

LE
They didn't show the final season of Sons of Anarchy nor the final season of Justified.
They saved their viewership the pain of having to watch the crap that was the final season of that series. I binge watched the entire run of Justified a few months ago. The final season was so bad, that I never did bother with the last episode. Not that it was a great series, but it deserved a better requiem than it got.

Cheers,
Dan.

Oily101

Swinger
Just finished series three of Occupied, I (we) have a tolerance for foreign language films / series, I think it's having to read the subtitles makes you concentrate more on the content - anyway, series one starts off with Norway being led by something akin to the green party, they decide to stop selling oil to the EU 'for their own good', the EU persuade the Russians to 'safeguard' oil production from Norway... It basically goes downhill from there... Series two is Norway taking back control and trying to get the Ruskies out, Series three is Norway being occupied by EU 'peacekeepers' and the traditional Ruskie capitalism resulting in the Russians taking each other out - and not for a meal. It's on Netflix and has the option of an English audio channel, I think you lose a lot of the vocal inflection in anything but the original audio though - the only exception is 'Norsemen' which was apparently filmed scene-by-scene in Norwegian and then English. I think I may just start watching Lillyhammer again....

Lillyhammer actually comes good towards the latter series and worth persevering with.
In case you haven't already seen it 'Nobel' is very good and well worth watching.
I just love how the Norwegians want to be viewed as Left wing Liberals to all and sundry but in reality they are all just the same when it comes to money/Oil.

Hexi Bloke

On ROPS
On ROPs
I thought that was an excellent series. I watched the first two or three series but then it seemed to vanish off the schedules. They somehow managed to make the viewer sympathetic to the Sov spy’s.

I might chase up the series I missed as I wanted to see what happened to them when the Sov system collapsed.

Another US show where the lead actor is a Brit (well, Welsh so sort of).
Yes all 6 seasons are currently on prime

Karamoja

Old-Salt
That really bugs me. It seems to happen with increasing frequency.

I assume that the producers ask for too much money for subsequent series, not realising that the show became popular because it was shown on minor terrestrial channels and gained a following.

Or, having gained a following, it was picked up by pay2view channels.

Either way it’s bloody annoying.
The Americans was shown right up to the end on ITV 4 , but the last series was on during the graveyard shift. The final two episodes are still on the ITVHub.

There is a new drama series called COBRA. About a mass ejection on the suns surface that blows out the UKs electrical system, or at least the bits that don’t matter - Scotland, Wales, the north-east. Followed by riots, civil disturbances, havoc, chaos and political strife/turmoil.

First episode is OK and full of promise but it goes downhill pretty rapidly. Spent a few bob on it, bloody good actors and a not bad script but it just doesn’t work very well. Watched the first three episodes but not sure whether the last three are worth the effort. As with most crap I will probably persevere just for the sake of it. On the upside some of the women have serious racks.

Edit: I watched the last three episodes and it’s not actually that bad overall. At least one pointless sub-plot, maybe three. One of the antagonists is an ex-squaddie whose beret will make ARRSERs cringe and throw their shoes at the TV.

Quite enjoyed this. I did think that a Series 2 was being set up during the bridge scene, but wider heads seem to have prevailed.

Worth a watch

philc

LE
Quite enjoyed this. I did think that a Series 2 was being set up during the bridge scene, but wider heads seem to have prevailed.

Worth a watch
You did, I just watched till the end to ensure no series 2 could be made, thought it was utter bilge.

The complete "Bush Tucker Man" series on DVD.

Very interesting, still better than most of the survivor TV shows on at the moment. Major Les Hiddens on the prowl in some very desolate places for native food, and telling stories about early Australian explorers and explorations.

Haven't thought QI was up to much recently, but the latest episode, the letter Q, was quite enertaining. Helped by the fact the Alan bloke wasn't too daft.
You do know he has read the script?
Stephen Fry said in some interview a few years back. He found it quite irritating everyone came on for a laugh, but Davis insisted on seeing the script so he would look bright, whilst acting that he was guessing

Enjoying the current run of the Clive James ‘Postcard from...’ series, being repeated on BBC4 at the weekend. Postcard from LA, followed by Postcard from New York were both a joy to watch and a reminder of what a top presenter he was.

BopBopBop

War Hero
I've been catching up on stuff I missed first-time around because of work.

Our Friends in the North.
(from 1996, on BritBox)

Follows the lives of four friends between 1964 and 1995 and covers Police and Government corruption and the miners strike.

Daniel Craig, Gina McKee, Christopher Eccleston and Mark Strong (with hair).

I thought it was outstanding.

Very interesting, still better than most of the survivor TV shows on at the moment. Major Les Hiddens on the prowl in some very desolate places for native food, and telling stories about early Australian explorers and explorations.
'Tastes a bit like........(chew, chew).......(chew)......chicken'.

Brilliant. I used to watch those when they showed them on the BBC in the 90s.

I watched the 1st of the new series of Top Gear last night, even if you hate TG with a passion it's worth watching the last 15 minutes, the stunt at the end by Freddie Flintoff is outstanding, the guy has BALLS - BIG FFFFFFING BALLS.

@OneTenner mentioned Occupied, I have finished series one. Having been brought up as a youngster on sub-titled films on BBC it took about 20 minutes to get back into the hang of it and also keep an eye on what was happening and so far thoroughly enjoying it.

OneTenner

Old-Salt
The strange thing is, although it's in a foreign language, I still turn the sound up so I can hear the voices clearly! - there's lots of really good (to my mind) Scandi-noir series from the last few years such as 'Trapped', 'The Bridge' (which is like a Nordic version of 'The Tunnel') and for a bit of Nordic Police / murder based comedy, 'Fallet'.
From further afield, 'Black Spot', set on the French / Belgian border was enjoyable, as was 'The Chalet' which has more twists and turns than the Transfagarash highway
ETA - not strictly a TV show, if you enjoyed 'Cold Persuit' from 2019 which was based on the Norwegian 'Kraftidioten / In Order of Disappearance' from 2014, the Norwegian version is much funnier and pokes fun at the Nordic values brilliantly.

Last edited:
A heartbreaking documentary about a Senegalese officer with UNAMIR in Rwanda in 1994, Captain Mbaye Diagne, who saved many lives over a period of several weeks, before himself being killed when a mortar bomb hit his vehicle:

Last edited:

Latest Threads