What TV show have you just watched

Caught a new series on Netflix while waiting for Picard to download and ended up watching the lot although to be honest, I lost the will to live by episode 7/10 and only continued to the end because Mrs Biff seemed to be enjoying it.
October Faction - 10 episodes all available now.

October Faction follows the story of "globetrotting monster hunters Fred and Deloris Allen who, after the death of Fred’s father, return to their hometown in upstate New York with their teenage children Geoff and Viv. As the family adjusts, Fred and Deloris must hide their identities as members of a secret organization, and they quickly discover that their new small-town setting isn’t as idyllic as it seems"

It started off interesting and new with a few plot twists then got very woke and I struggled to understand why they had cast Mrs Shrek as the daughter (you'll see what I mean once you start watching it)

shrek1.JPG

Aurora Burghart

Aurora Burghart.JPG

Mrs Shrek

I don't think it will stretch to a second season, there aren't enough interesting characters or story lines to hold it together. Almost like they've made their point, taught the audience a lesson and stuck it to honkey, lets go to the pub.
Much like the series 'I-Land', which started out full of promise then died through lack of interest by everyone involved.

philc

LE
Channel 5 was left on, after the missus watched her Aussie soaps (I know, kill me now). Ice Road Truckers popped up. Christ, it’s still going? How on earth did they milk 10 series out of what is effectively the same thing every year? That said; weirdly compulsive and a couple of easy on the eye female truckers too!
We have a new version, Ice flow shippers, seems certain villages in the far north rely on a ship delivering the years food etc. The ship navigates ice, lack of harbors to drop of food cars and what ever. All against time and ice.

Here is a thought live that far north and sort your own shit out, want to live up in the wilds, you dont need a truck of skidoo.

Caught a new series on Netflix while waiting for Picard to download and ended up watching the lot although to be honest, I lost the will to live by episode 7/10 and only continued to the end because Mrs Biff seemed to be enjoying it.
October Faction - 10 episodes all available now.

October Faction follows the story of "globetrotting monster hunters Fred and Deloris Allen who, after the death of Fred’s father, return to their hometown in upstate New York with their teenage children Geoff and Viv. As the family adjusts, Fred and Deloris must hide their identities as members of a secret organization, and they quickly discover that their new small-town setting isn’t as idyllic as it seems"

It started off interesting and new with a few plot twists then got very woke and I struggled to understand why they had cast Mrs Shrek as the daughter (you'll see what I mean once you start watching it)

View attachment 445626
Aurora Burghart

View attachment 445627
Mrs Shrek

I don't think it will stretch to a second season, there aren't enough interesting characters or story lines to hold it together. Almost like they've made their point, taught the audience a lesson and stuck it to honkey, lets go to the pub.
Much like the series 'I-Land', which started out full of promise then died through lack of interest by everyone involved.
I lasted around 25 minutes of the first episode, I fell asleep for 10 minutes of it.

I lasted around 25 minutes of the first episode, I fell asleep for 10 minutes of it.
I'm usually easily pleased and watched it with Mrs Biff and to be fair, it was one of the shows you can watch over the screen of your laptop, fiddle on the web and still follow the story.
My abiding memory of that show will be Mrs Shrek.

NSP

LE
Sex Education, Netflix. Rather funny and has a somewhat arousing Gillian Anderson in it. Marred by being set in the UK but aimed at the US market so a British secondary school is dressed up like a US high school - no uniforms, school-branded fleeces, etc. In fact, the only thing British about it is the English accents. But still quite funny...

Karamoja

Old-Salt
Haven't thought QI was up to much recently, but the latest episode, the letter Q, was quite enertaining. Helped by the fact the Alan bloke wasn't too daft.

OneTenner

Old-Salt
Just finished series three of Occupied, I (we) have a tolerance for foreign language films / series, I think it's having to read the subtitles makes you concentrate more on the content - anyway, series one starts off with Norway being led by something akin to the green party, they decide to stop selling oil to the EU 'for their own good', the EU persuade the Russians to 'safeguard' oil production from Norway... It basically goes downhill from there... Series two is Norway taking back control and trying to get the Ruskies out, Series three is Norway being occupied by EU 'peacekeepers' and the traditional Ruskie capitalism resulting in the Russians taking each other out - and not for a meal. It's on Netflix and has the option of an English audio channel, I think you lose a lot of the vocal inflection in anything but the original audio though - the only exception is 'Norsemen' which was apparently filmed scene-by-scene in Norwegian and then English. I think I may just start watching Lillyhammer again....

exspy

LE
...because Netflix was offered it and effed it off at the high port because of what happened with Star Trek: Discovery.
What's happened with Star Trek: Discovery? It's coming back for a third season, isn't it?

Cheers,
Dan.

Heads-up in advance (for once).

Avenue 5 on Sky1 tonight at 10pm. Gets Pick of the Week from the Times and ST.

View attachment 445210

Nominally Sci-Fi I suppose but given that it is the brainchild of Armando Iannucci I guess the SF bit is little more than a convenient setting rather than the main course. Probably lots of naughty words.
I lasted 20 min then found James May's Japan on Netflix Amazon. Tenfold more entertaining.

Last edited:

Motaka

Clanker
Just finished series three of Occupied, I (we) have a tolerance for foreign language films / series, I think it's having to read the subtitles makes you concentrate more on the content - anyway, series one starts off with Norway being led by something akin to the green party, they decide to stop selling oil to the EU 'for their own good', the EU persuade the Russians to 'safeguard' oil production from Norway... It basically goes downhill from there... Series two is Norway taking back control and trying to get the Ruskies out, Series three is Norway being occupied by EU 'peacekeepers' and the traditional Ruskie capitalism resulting in the Russians taking each other out - and not for a meal. It's on Netflix and has the option of an English audio channel, I think you lose a lot of the vocal inflection in anything but the original audio though - the only exception is 'Norsemen' which was apparently filmed scene-by-scene in Norwegian and then English. I think I may just start watching Lillyhammer again....
Probably a good show, can't tell.

TamH70

MIA
What's happened with Star Trek: Discovery? It's coming back for a third season, isn't it?

Cheers,
Dan.
Yep. At least it is meant to be, but I'd suggest waiting out until Star Trek: Picard has finished and all the reviews and brickbats are in to get your hopes up. But the plan for it has changed so many times, along with the showrunners, that it bears little or no resemblance to what it was originally supposed to be, and even less to proper Star Trek. That is, of course, the version of Star Trek that has not been gang banged by Alex Kurtzman, Jar Jar Abrams, Les Moonves, Sumner Redstone, Bad Robot (the production company backed by Kurtzman and Jar Jar Abrams - which was trying to get all of the Star Trek merchandise money by, get this, making the toy companies STOP making figures and playsets from all the previous forty-odd years of Star Trek), and Secret Hideout (another Kurtzman joint).

The third season of STD, and btw, in the fandom that acronym is eminently justifiable, is moving the whole mess to the far future, way out of any possible screwing up with any new Trek shows that come after they've burned Star Trek: Picard away as fast as humanly possible.

And that is leaving aside the whole plagiarism scandal caused by them ripping off an indy game developer to come up with the "plot" such as it was for the first series of STD.

Seriously, folks, the story behind how Star Trek got fecked worse than Madonna was when she got rogered by John Holmes (hence ending up feeling "like a virgin" as he was like Charles Bronson in the Great Escape, i.e. digging tunnels) is infinitely more interesting than anything post the rebooted movie that cast a plank of wood as the new Jim Kirk.

Yon Midnight's Edge channel on YouTube has pretty much the whole story on modern Star Trek. It's well worth sitting down over a couple of rainy Sundays and looking over it all.

Motaka

Clanker
Yep. At least it is meant to be, but I'd suggest waiting out until Star Trek: Picard has finished and all the reviews and brickbats are in to get your hopes up. But the plan for it has changed so many times, along with the showrunners, that it bears little or no resemblance to what it was originally supposed to be, and even less to proper Star Trek. That is, of course, the version of Star Trek that has not been gang banged by Alex Kurtzman, Jar Jar Abrams, Les Moonves, Sumner Redstone, Bad Robot (the production company backed by Kurtzman and Jar Jar Abrams - which was trying to get all of the Star Trek merchandise money by, get this, making the toy companies STOP making figures and playsets from all the previous forty-odd years of Star Trek), and Secret Hideout (another Kurtzman joint).

The third season of STD, and btw, in the fandom that acronym is eminently justifiable, is moving the whole mess to the far future, way out of any possible screwing up with any new Trek shows that come after they've burned Star Trek: Picard away as fast as humanly possible.

And that is leaving aside the whole plagiarism scandal caused by them ripping off an indy game developer to come up with the "plot" such as it was for the first series of STD.

Seriously, folks, the story behind how Star Trek got fecked worse than Madonna was when she got rogered by John Holmes (hence ending up feeling "like a virgin" as he was like Charles Bronson in the Great Escape, i.e. digging tunnels) is infinitely more interesting than anything post the rebooted movie that cast a plank of wood as the new Jim Kirk.

Yon Midnight's Edge channel on YouTube has pretty much the whole story on modern Star Trek. It's well worth sitting down over a couple of rainy Sundays and looking over it all.
Mirror universe.....

TamH70

MIA

PFGEN

GCM
This Picard thing looks good. I see Jeri Ryan will be back as 7of9 which will be the clincher for me. Old joke but 7 of my 9 inches are already tingling in anticipation.

exspy

LE
Yep. At least it is meant to be, but I'd suggest waiting out until Star Trek: Picard has finished and all the reviews and brickbats are in to get your hopes up.
Watched the first episode of Picard this evening. The last scene alone will ensure I watch the second, but poor Patrick Stewart is way too old and slow to carry the series himself. And who would have thought an android, Commander Data, could grow old and fat?

And the Romulan Empire being destroyed? Haven't we seen this before in Star Trek VI when the Klingon Empire was facing collapse?

I agree that Jar Jar Abrams, in spite of all his monetary success, destroys every franchise he becomes involved in.

However, I am looking forward to seeing Jeri Ryan in a skin-tight body suit again.

Cheers,
Dan.

TamH70

MIA
Please show me where the Romulans and their Empire was destroyed.
Star Trek, the 2009 edition. It is also the framing story for Star Trek: Picard. The Federation ******* up the evacuation of the Romulan Empire is what forces Picard to retire to his chateau where he starts the series proper.

Latest Threads