What TV show have you just watched

TamH70

MIA
Another Rich Hall doc on at 2100, Rich Hall and the Red Menace.
On now is a doc about Submarines in film.
Both BBC 4
Another Rich Hall doco?

Thanks for the heads-up, Bugsy.

BigT

LE
Atypical.

Revolves around an 18 year old high functioning Autistic wee lad, transitioning from high school to college and his family's role in supporting him.

I see alot of my wee lad in him. The script is excellent and the acting is brilliant.
There's something similar in development in the UK, they've been looking for teenagers on the spectrum with acting skills. My lad was asked to submit a self shot audition and is waiting for a date to go in for a screen test. Apparently it's going to be a bit like a cross between Rain Man and Skins.

BigT

LE
Let us know what you think when you get to the end.

I know what I think having watched all 10.
I'm seven episodes in and should have it finished by this time tomorrow, it's the best thing I've watched since The Boys, in fact it's so good I'll forgive the berets, it's funny as feck and chock full of proper British Violence. You don't even have to like the DCU or Batman to enjoy it. Something drastically bad would have to happen in the last three episodes to change my mind.

I'm pretty sure Paloma Faiths character Bet Sykes is based on most of my ex girlfriends

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Watched the new Rich Hall documentary, "Rich Hall's Red Menace". V. good stuff. The "tickling the dragon's tail with consequences" and the "two h-bombs falling out of a B-52 with one of them ending only a bawhair away from initiating in the middle of a farmer's field" bits were really blackly comedic.

Prior to that, I watched the mid-season premiere of season five of "The Blacklist", "Ruin". Word of advice, don't kill Liz Keen's pal, and especially don't kill her dog. Else you be fucked.

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
Again for all those many ARRSErs familiar with the German language: the ARD is running a series of filums about the GDR, Fall of the Berlin Wall etc in the run-up to the 30th Anniversary on the coming Saturday. The list can be found here: https://www.ardmediathek.de/ard/more/2NDXEaQ5qJorU33gid4oUE/film-highlights-zum-mauerfall
Enjoy!

MsG
And for non-German speakers such as myself, this evening BBC4 20:00 tonight: London Calling: Cold War Letters.
21:00 The Fall of The Berlin Wall with John Simpson
22:00 The Secret Life of The Berlin Wall.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
After all these years, I've finally managed to watch Life On Mars, outstanding. Now catching up with Ashes To Ashes. Seeing Keeley Hawes dressed as she does for her role as DI Drake in the series reminds of a bird I was seeing back then.

Last edited:

BigT

LE
After all these years, I've finally managed to watch Life On Mars, outstanding. Now catching up with Ashes To Ashes. Seeing Keeley Hawes dressed as she does for her role as DI Drake in the series reminds of a bird I was seeing back then.
Well written, well acted and David Bowie, what's not to like.

LoM was brilliant. AtA, not so much. I gave up on it. It was too weird for me.

BigT

LE
I've just finished the last three episodes of Pennyworth, it's top notch entertainment if they don't do a second series I'm going round to Amazon's HQ to to poke someones eye out with a pin.

One of the very first TV series I binge watched when I first got to the UK. My flat mate at the time had Virgin media subscription and he introduced me to it. I initially thought it was bonkers but after the first couple of episodes got sucked in.

That David Bowie soundtrack will stick with me for a long time...

LoM was brilliant. AtA, not so much. I gave up on it. It was too weird for me.
Ah, I agree that Life on Mars was/is brilliant. Ashes to Ashes is slightly different, though both were written at the same time, from beginning to end (with only a small alteration from the original plan due to John Simm putting his family first), rather than them using the time-honoured tv company method of trying another year and seeing what they can milk from the story.

If you can bear with it, the 'big reveal' is in the last of the 24 episodes of Ashes to Ashes, as to what it's all about.. Landmark television..

Ah, I agree that Life on Mars was/is brilliant. Ashes to Ashes is slightly different, though both were written at the same time, from beginning to end (with only a small alteration from the original plan due to John Simm putting his family first), rather than them using the time-honoured tv company method of trying another year and seeing what they can milk from the story.

If you can bear with it, the 'big reveal' is in the last of the 24 episodes of Ashes to Ashes, as to what it's all about.. Landmark television..
Well theres also the rather big alteration where a committee of BBC Execs sat around and said 'Looks like its a success Hyacinth so we cant possibly have it in some grubby Northern place, move it to London'.
So Gene Genie and his team suddenly become the 'Fackin Met'.

But yes the last episode ties it all together.

I dont have the A2A box set yet so may have to look at getting it.

TamH70

MIA
Well theres also the rather big alteration where a committee of BBC Execs sat around and said 'Looks like its a success Hyacinth so we cant possibly have it in some grubby Northern place, move it to London'.
So Gene Genie and his team suddenly become the 'Fackin Met'.

But yes the last episode ties it all together.

I dont have the A2A box set yet so may have to look at getting it.
The box sets for Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes are on the BBC iPlayer, or they were the last time I looked.

Meanwhile, just finished watching Episode 11 of Season Five of "The Blacklist", where Liz Keen learns how to make stew, narco-cartel stylee, and Red gets Winston Churchill's hat. Also showing up is Nathan Lane as a surprisingly believable murderous villain.

The box sets for Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes are on the BBC iPlayer, or they were the last time I looked.

Meanwhile, just finished watching Episode 11 of Season Five of "The Blacklist", where Liz Keen learns how to make stew, narco-cartel stylee, and Red gets Winston Churchill's hat. Also showing up is Nathan Lane as a surprisingly believable murderous villain.
I'm upto date with Blacklist. It just keeps getting better each season. Still haven't a clue what his agenda is.

Binge watched Jack Ryan season 2 over the past 2 days.. awesome.

Did the same a few days ago. Now I have withdrawals. I hate binge watching but can't help it when I get sucked in and have some downtime.
Season 2 had a bit of a feel of Clear and Present Danger about it.

Hopefully it's not an 18 month wait for the next season.

Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance 2019.

Opening was a young lady with a powerful voice and a somewhat revealing top. That was a pleasant start whoever she was. Chelsea pensioner had a good voice too.
It got slightly dusty a few times. Must hoover the lounge.

BBC One - Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance, 2019

Remembrance Sunday seems so soon after the last one.
At The Cenotaph - BBC 1 10:20 - 12:30
Service - Sky News 10:30 - 12:00

Last edited:

Latest Threads