What TV show have you just watched

Long Lost Family Special: The Unknown Soldiers, on ITV. About the efforts by the MoD and Families to identify the unknown remains constantly unearthed on the battlefields of the past.

Very emotionally charged and very moving. Also, very interesting and presented with tact and decency. Bit dusty here to be honest.

BigT

LE
Monday night for us in the UK, Sky Atlantic 21.00.
I did mention it earlier on in the thread.
That was an enjoyable hour of violence and intrigue, pity it isn't on Amazon or Netflix and dropped all at once, I'd have cracked on until dawn.

I noticed from the end credits that some of it was filmed in Wales

Watched EP 1 of Watchmen yesterday evening and can only say that it was a bit of a let down. I'll give it a few more episodes before making a final judgement.

exspy

LE
That was an enjoyable hour of violence and intrigue, pity it isn't on Amazon or Netflix and dropped all at once, I'd have cracked on until dawn.
Watched EP 1 of Watchmen yesterday evening and can only say that it was a bit of a let down. I'll give it a few more episodes before making a final judgement.
Two different views. What did I think? What a piece of PC crap. Spoiler alert... white people are bad. Not one character that I have any interest in. Totally implausible plot, but they have to have it that way because... white people are bad. For a show called The Watchmen, spoiler alert again, there are no Watchmen in it. Just another tiny woman in a cape who, for some reason, is in charge of everyone.

I don't see how the City of Tulsa doesn't get an injunction to shut the series down, or the 7th Cavalry Veterans' Association.

Oh, the guy who sang Oklahoma had a pretty good voice.

Cheers,
Dan.

BigT

LE
Two different views. What did I think? What a piece of PC crap. Spoiler alert... white people are bad. Not one character that I have any interest in. Totally implausible plot, but they have to have it that way because... white people are bad. For a show called The Watchmen, spoiler alert again, there are no Watchmen in it. Just another tiny woman in a cape who, for some reason, is in charge of everyone.

I don't see how the City of Tulsa doesn't get an injunction to shut the series down, or the 7th Cavalry Veterans' Association.

Cheers,
Dan.
It's only the first episode so we really don't know where the story is going yet but If you spend your time looking for things to get angry about rather than just watching the story unfold you'd never turn the TV on. It is set in an alternative time line and over 30 years after the events in the comic/film which turned history on it's head, did you notice the kid in the classroom saying Redforations instead of reperations and that Robert Redford was on the poster of important presidents next to Nixon, let alone Vietnam being a State of America.

If you were waiting for Silk Spetre she'd be on a zimmer frame by now but we do know that Dr Manhatten is living on Mars and Ozymandias is alive and well and living in Wales in spite of the headline on the news paper Lou Gosset was reading. I'd take a guess that the maid who was giving his todge a polish and his butler are andorids and that nothing is what it seems including the 7th Cavelry being a white supremicist group. Don Johnson was dangling from a tree at the end but his IMDB page has him in all nine episodes.

As for Tulsa getting an injunction,

Tulsa race riot - Wikipedia

This afternoons episode of 'Pointless' which made me chuckle purely for the final involving a chap who stated very confidently that he could nail the topic of 'Cold War US Secretaries of State' due to doing his Masters in Intelligence and Security Studies..... and then proceeded to get each of his 3 choices be wrong. Mong.
I saw that and the moment he opened his trap about having done an MA I thought "setting yourself up to look stupid".

MrMemory

War Hero
Tonight BBC4 10pm: Contact - A 1985 drama about a platoon of British paratroopers on patrol in Northern Ireland

"Contact is based on the memoirs of AFN Clarke, an ex-paratrooper who served extensively in Northern Ireland. Directed by Alan Clarke with little in the way of plot, the film successfully captures the fear, confusion and bravery of uniformed soldiers fighting against an unseen enemy.

Shot in a documentary style, Contact follows a platoon of paras on border patrol in South Armagh. In between stop-and-search duties and exchanges of fire with seemingly invisible assailants, the tension is ratcheted up through long periods of seemingly endless walking. With little talk between the soldiers aside from the giving and receiving of orders, most of the platoon remains largely anonymous, the exception being the captain whose jadedness is conveyed largely without dialogue...." More here

Tonight BBC4 10pm: Contact - A 1985 drama about a platoon of British paratroopers on patrol in Northern Ireland

"Contact is based on the memoirs of AFN Clarke, an ex-paratrooper who served extensively in Northern Ireland. Directed by Alan Clarke with little in the way of plot, the film successfully captures the fear, confusion and bravery of uniformed soldiers fighting against an unseen enemy.

Shot in a documentary style, Contact follows a platoon of paras on border patrol in South Armagh. In between stop-and-search duties and exchanges of fire with seemingly invisible assailants, the tension is ratcheted up through long periods of seemingly endless walking. With little talk between the soldiers aside from the giving and receiving of orders, most of the platoon remains largely anonymous, the exception being the captain whose jadedness is conveyed largely without dialogue...." More here
I had 'Contact' on VHS for years.
On becoming the woman formerly known as Mrs. Wasteofrations, she launched it along with most of my other stuff.

It's only the first episode so we really don't know where the story is going yet but If you spend your time looking for things to get angry about rather than just watching the story unfold you'd never turn the TV on. It is set in an alternative time line and over 30 years after the events in the comic/film which turned history on it's head, did you notice the kid in the classroom saying Redforations instead of reperations and that Robert Redford was on the poster of important presidents next to Nixon, let alone Vietnam being a State of America.

If you were waiting for Silk Spetre she'd be on a zimmer frame by now but we do know that Dr Manhatten is living on Mars and Ozymandias is alive and well and living in Wales in spite of the headline on the news paper Lou Gosset was reading. I'd take a guess that the maid who was giving his todge a polish and his butler are andorids and that nothing is what it seems including the 7th Cavelry being a white supremicist group. Don Johnson was dangling from a tree at the end but his IMDB page has him in all nine episodes.

As for Tulsa getting an injunction,

Tulsa race riot - Wikipedia
I have never really followed the Watchmen, so I am open minded it has the potential to go tit's up, or Westworld - which I quite enjoyed in a Lost kind of a way.

I was up in Tulsa last week to look at a new car and today to collect said car. I took the opportunity to ask the chap at the Welcome to Tulsa desk at the airport about the race riots in 1921. They did happen, but are long forgotten now apparently what with Oklahoma itself being possibly the most diverse of US states. When the US 7th Cavalry and General Custard had finished killing the various indian tribes in situ they marched and transported various groups of survivors to Oklahoma. The forced relocations are called the Trail of Tears. I have in the last week passed through the Chocktaw Nation and the Cherokee Nation, met a Kiowa, a few Choctaw and a couple of Cherokee - always impresses me when I meet a native American, nice people.

Just finished season 1 of Yellowstone.

Damn fine entertainment and some fabulous scenery.
I was always a bit meh, with Costner but he is very good in this.
Season 2 is good as well.

philc

LE
20 Mins before it was binned, I dont know the story so had to look on line as to what was going on, which just sounded balls.

Channel.. Together TV.
"The Real Inglorious Barstards"
The story of OSS Operation "GREENUP", this true dit takes place in the Austrian Tyrol and the city of Innsbruck.
8 out of 10. Brave buggers!!!!!!

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Just binged the latest series of Digging for Britain with Prof ALICE Roberts, on BBC2 SERIES 4 very interesting.
@AlienFTM you'll have to watch episode 4, it's a special on the Roman Cavalry.
9 out of 10
Public information Notice - Prof Alice Roberts is having a lecture at the King's Theatre in Aldershot around the 28th October.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I've been a fan of Law & Order - SVU for years now. New season started 3 weeks ago and you can tell it's been "snowflaked", Ep1 - Ian McShane plays a predatory film producer/Harvey Weinstein episode, Ep2 was the usual sexual abuse/rape type story synonymous with SVU, Ep3 - Jussie Smolett type story, only with gay black men being attacked. I might be giving the rest of the season a miss if this is going to be the type of storyline they continue with, I'll check out the next episode first though.
Me too, but I got fed up when Mariska Hargitay took over as producer and every storyline is: "Look at meeeeee." Let the others have some screen time for flip's sake.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

Cheers,
Dan.
The old white guy, or the black guy in the production of Oklahoma?

The old white guy is none other than Don Johnson, of Miami Vice/Nash Bridges fame who recorded two albums I believe, back in the eighties.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Ep.1 Watchmen.
Not followed development of this series, only read the graphic novel in my youth.

Seen the movie and it was meh, so I had no expectations whatsoever.

They still weren't surpassed.

It's nice to see Don Johnson in gainful employment and Regina King is normally worth watching. Having said that, I don't know what the f*ck was going on. I get that it is an alternative universe and all, but I didn't realise that it was set 30 years after the movie until @BigT above mentioned it.

I might watch the second episode, but I'm not sold on it.

TamH70

MIA
I watched the first episode of "The Boys". Good stuff. Butcher's accent is throwing me - a Kiwi shouldn't sound so much like a proper Landenar.

Latest Threads