What TV show have you just watched

philc

LE
Another issue with Carnival Row, why the annoying accents, it’s a fantasy land why has the main fairy got to have a comedy Irish accent?

Dual Survival - Episode 1 (2010) Discovery - Freeview channel DMAX

Cody and Dave must use items they salvage from their life raft to find shelter, build a fire and find food and water when they arrive on a deserted island off the coast of Nova Scotia in the dead of winter - showing what it takes to survive.

I enjoyed this. Cody and Dave have very different backgrounds and survival philosophies but rather cause conflict these were complimentary skills. Dave was pragmatic and had a hunting background. Cody was more in to gathering, such as from the shore. He used physics principles to dramatically improve efficiency of their shelter and reduce the amount of firewood required. Brilliant. Dave was initially sceptical and concerned that the plastic sheeting they had salvaged might melt but it held up. Unfolding a mylar space blanket and eventually figuring out a way to mount it to the tree trunk back wall made a massive difference to comfort.

Dave used birch bark to form a torch which would last a few minutes. Cody used a kind of catkin to carry smouldering to the signal fire. Because of it's densely packed nature, it burned slowly and was then used to ignite the signal fire.

Trailer:

Dual Survival (TV Series 2010– ) - IMDb

Dual Survival - Wikipedia

TamH70

MIA
The back half of Season Three of "The Blacklist". What can I say, it's brilliant. Just the right amount of twisty.

Chop

Swinger
The Spy (Netflix series)
A serious role for Sasha Baron Cohen (Ali G)
I often wondered what he would do next after Grimsby which I found hilarious at times.
I so wanted to like this series which I binge watched over the weekend.
Seeing Gideon Raff (Homeland) on the credits got my hopes up.
It's based on the true story of Eli Cohen and although quite good and well acted it didn't seem to generate much tension in the script writing.
I agree - was good but could have been more tension etc... however even the wife got quite into it.
he also looked like Borat...

A Very Secret Service on Netflix. French comedy about their SiS in the 60s and has lots of nice little gems such as the CIA officers explaining that they have ways to deal with Kennedy so hes not elected as he likes women too much, completely flummoxing the French.

BigT

LE
Another issue with Carnival Row, why the annoying accents, it’s a fantasy land why has the main fairy got to have a comedy Irish accent?
Unless I'm watching a documentary I try not to spoil my enjoyment by looking for minor problems, its a slippery slope and the next thing you know you're on the Dunkirk thread frothing because some one had their boots laced up wrong. To be fair neither Orlando Blooms mockney gangster or or Cara Delevingne's Irish-ish accents were the high point in their performance but as it was a fantasy does it really matter.

Last edited:

BigT

LE
The back half of Season Three of "The Blacklist". What can I say, it's brilliant. Just the right amount of twisty.
My wife is on season 6 and she reckons the quality hasn't dropped, I lost track after season 4 so only catch the occasional episode. I have to say James Spader's performance is always first rate, he was great in Boston Legal but he's even better in Blacklist.

I must admit, I got a hard on in E01 when she starting laying down the law to the drilling company CEO and threatened to liquidate them and sell their shares to big oil for peanuts...as a former oil industry employee, shit like that gets me knee shakin'!
That and she has a cracking set of chesticles.
ETA: Fantastic scenery, part of the US I haven't seen yet, but as they are not in the EU and neither are we, I'll never get the chance as visa's and muh. Good job I had to get a 10 year visa on the back of my last job.
Just wait a few episodes she has them out in a magnificent display of sulking to piss her dad off.

S2 is just as good,

Are you sure the UK doesn't have a visa waiver in place for travel to the states?

I'm liking the BBC's The Capture and ITV's Confession at the moment but hating the One Per Week schedule.

Mentioned before but the Danish Series Those who kill which is on Iplayer has some top notch twists in it.

I'm liking the BBC's The Capture and ITV's Confession at the moment but hating the One Per Week schedule.

Mentioned before but the Danish Series Those who kill which is on Iplayer has some top notch twists in it.
BBC should just do box sets like they with a few of the series...like Netflix. I can't be bothered to keep a schedule for one I like...if I have a day off, would rather binge watch.

TamH70

MIA
Currently watching "Rich Hall's Inventing the Indian". Stand fast, earth, this one is about the way that white culture in general, and Hollywood in particular, constantly misrepresent and slander the people that the white folks stole the land from. His rant on how John Ford got ten things wrong about the Apache in just one scene from "Stagecoach" is a particular treat. Christopher Columbus also comes in for a well-deserved goolie-kicking.

I don't think it's on iPlayer, the version that's on YouTube has no audio - thanks Auntie!, but it may be available on Dailymotion. It is well worth seeking out, even if you find a version that's got really crap video it is a good background listen.

Dreadnoughts on Channel 5 & it featured heavily the museum ship USS Texas which is now the only surviving example of the Dreadnought era building of warships of circa WW1 vintage - she took some hammer from the German batteries off Cherbourg in WW2 in Operation Overlord but gave as good as she got ..

Currently watching "Rich Hall's Inventing the Indian". Stand fast, earth, this one is about the way that white culture in general, and Hollywood in particular, constantly misrepresent and slander the people that the white folks stole the land from. His rant on how John Ford got ten things wrong about the Apache in just one scene from "Stagecoach" is a particular treat. Christopher Columbus also comes in for a well-deserved goolie-kicking.

I don't think it's on iPlayer, the version that's on YouTube has no audio - thanks Auntie!, but it may be available on Dailymotion. It is well worth seeking out, even if you find a version that's got really crap video it is a good background listen.
That one has been on a couple of times, these shows come back round on occasion. I really like Rich Hall's stuff, always interesting and a good watch. I sometimes think though, that young Richard isn't always a fan of his home country.

Warship: Under Attack
HMS Duncan, Syria, Skripal poisonings in the background, increased tension with Russians. Approach by Russian naval helicopter which ignored caution three times. A hand held camera on HMS Duncan revealed that a photographer was on board, so basically having a nose and their ships captain testing reactions. Situation could have escalated.

Two sausages in white baguettes! Outrageous! Wholemeal or granary would be far better.

Warship: Under Attack
HMS Duncan, Syria, Skripal poisonings in the background, increased tension with Russians. Approach by Russian naval helicopter which ignored caution three times. A hand held camera on HMS Duncan revealed that a photographer was on board, so basically having a nose and their ships captain testing reactions. Situation could have escalated.

Two sausages in white baguettes! Outrageous! Wholemeal or granary would be far better.
Is it a rehash of the recent series, extra footage included etc?

Dreadnoughts on Channel 5 & it featured heavily the museum ship USS Texas which is now the only surviving example of the Dreadnought era building of warships of circa WW1 vintage - she took some hammer from the German batteries off Cherbourg in WW2 in Operation Overlord but gave as good as she got ..
An excellent programme. I found the Scapa Flow section towards the end very interesting - I didn’t realise the German skeleton crews on board the ships did their own scuttling as soon as the British were otherwise engaged. Fascinating stuff.

Latest Threads