What TV show have you just watched

Just finished Good Omens and although I am a big fan of both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimans written work, I thought the show was pretty gash.

I really hope that Amazon do a far better job of Consider Phlebus.
Agreed on Banks.

I really hope they spell it properly. It's Phlebas FFS.

Doom Patrol
A very dark comic book series. Good special effects with some unusual characters and fruity language.
With the added vision of the lovely April Bowlby, what's not to like.

Finished Season One of "The Blacklist". Absolutely brilliant television. James Spader is not just a great actor, he is utterly mesmerising in the lead role of Raymond Reddington, and the rest of the cast are great too.

Finished Season One of "The Blacklist". Absolutely brilliant television. James Spader is not just a great actor, he is utterly mesmerising in the lead role of Raymond Reddington, and the rest of the cast are great too.
I'm bag up to date with BL. You'll enjoy it and you're right, Spader is brilliant and if you want more of him, dig out Boston Legal with Spader and Shatner, brilliant TV.
The only thing wrong with the blacklist was their willful failure to get the FBI to cover the back door of the drums they were spinning, where the baddy escapes their clutches. Had me shouting at the telly on more than one occasion.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Doom Patrol
A very dark comic book series. Good special effects with some unusual characters and fruity language.
With the added vision of the lovely April Bowlby, what's not to like.
I've watched the whole series, a bit fucked up and surreal, but watchable (personally, I have a thing for Jane, in all her guises)

I’m not one of the boys in blue but I can answer your medal question, basically no, the rules on the jubilee and LSGC’s are quite specific, you have to have done the qualifying service, five years for the jubilee’s at the time they were issued, previous qualifying service counted in another role, e.g ex military (uk or qualifying commonwealth)*and in order to qualify for the LSGC you’d have to have served the time i.e. 20 years of aggregate service with a qualifying force. I think the costume department just found a contemporary chief constables uniform with some typical accoutrements.

* some of the commonwealth qualifying rules were different and more convoluted but would still exclude a septic who didn’t have the required qualifying criteria.
I don't know about the medals but David Cameron wanted to open up top cop jobs to foreigners. Specifically I think he wanted some Septic to run the Met (the Plod contingent here probably know the details). I think the ACPO politely disagreed with this idea and it got kicked into touch.

I think the plot of Wild Bill was conceived at that time.

I watched the first two episodes. Not completely awful. Worth a vid if you can't be arrsed getting off the sofa.

I did rather hope that the McGuffin would be that he thought he was getting the job of top cop in Boston, Mass rather than Boston, Lincs.
I thought a septic would not be entitled to said awards,but they do make his blue suit look pretty.

Dinnerladies on Yesterday channel.
Twenty plus years old and still absolutely f*****g hilarious,eye wateringly funny. Victoria Wood really was a comedy genius. And Julie Walters as Bren's demented mum,just brilliant.

Anyone watched The Crown?
Binged watched many episodes today. It doesn’t paint Phil in a very good light. Has him down as a bit brattish, a cad & rather pompous. He treats underlings like crap. How true to life it is, I don’t know. It’s very good though.
Also hints that he used to put it about a bit and Liz was aware but in denial. I'm ambivalent about royalty but The Crown was excellent viewing. The Suez operation was badly portrayed though, made it look like a live action Warlord comic.

I've just done the first 40 minutes of Summer of Rockets and am unsure whether to bother any further. All I will say is you can tell it's a BBC production, and not in a good way.

Beecham House.......utter dross.

I've just done the first 40 minutes of Summer of Rockets and am unsure whether to bother any further. All I will say is you can tell it's a BBC production, and not in a good way.
We’ve stuck with it, but it’s been a strange series to watch - bizarre in places. I suspect I’ve only lasted the course because of Keeley Hawes - I’m totally smitten with that woman for some reason. :smile:

The strangeness of Chernobyl gripped me. It almost seemed sci fi.
I think the relative lack of incidental music and the ethereal quality of what little there was played a large part in that. I kept thinking, "Stalker" throughout.

One surprising reaction that I had to the series was a feeling something akin to homesickness or nostalgia at the Pripyat scenes. I never visited the Soviet Union but it did play a huge part in my formative years, so maybe that's why.

Last edited:
Watched the first episode of Catch 22 last night.

I thought it was fine. Set up a few of the recurring themes from the books (Major Major being inept - I’m waiting for his promotion, Milo Minderbender’s crooked spivvery, the doctors laconic nature, Scheisskopf’s military stupidity, Cathcart’s gung ho mentalness, the stupidity of war - when the FNG gets offed in his first mission, which he shouldn’t even have been on etc etc).

I did think the doctor was a direct reference to Major Freedman, the psychologist in MASH. In many respects the Yossarian/doctor relationship is the same as the Freedman/Klinger one. Neither medic falls for the gaming of the system but C22 is more cynical in the portrayal of this.

It probably makes sense if you don’t watch it as a “war movie”. It’s not meant to be BOB and it’s not.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Might save it up binge watch it.

I've tried watching the BBC 1 drama London Kills but when the cops are in the office all you hear in the background is the ringing of a phone. I get that certain scenes are set in an office and offices have phones but why does the sound effects department feel the need to use it as 'background music' to constantly remind us that phones exist. It is a distraction from the dialogue and in the end became bloody annoying.

Currently watching Michael Portillo’s Hidden History of Britain on Channel 5.
Today’s episode is all about the ‘Top Secret’ British/American facility at Orford Ness on the Suffolk Coast, now owned by the National Trust. Some of his discoveries in the old windowless building were clearly set up for dramatic effect, but the history of the site is fascinating.
As always with Portillo, the programme is watchable and interesting.

Last edited:
Two episodes of CSI: Miami and one of CSI: New York. Watchable but eye-gougingly poor when it comes to weapons ballistics, bullet construction and plausible forensic work.

I think the relative lack of incidental music and the ethereal quality of what little there was played a large part in that. I kept thinking, "Stalker" throughout.

One surprising reaction that I had to the series was a feeling something akin to homesickness or nostalgia at the Pripyat scenes. I never visited the Soviet Union but it did play a huge part in my formative years, so maybe that's why.
What Stalker? The film or the games?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Justified, now streaming on Amazon. Baddies get shot, idiots get a smack in the head and everyone seems to have a good time in the process.
I think it’s got all the series, which is great, you don’t have to get up and change the DVD.

Justified, now streaming on Amazon. Baddies get shot, idiots get a smack in the head and everyone seems to have a good time in the process.
I think it’s got all the series, which is great, you don’t have to get up and change the DVD.
I quite enjoyed that series, although I've still got the last season to watch.