What TV show have you just watched

I have just finished it and really enjoyed it. I was glad about who was last as they were annoying. I did like how Alex turned out as he was a whinging teen at the start.
Alex, who get all dewy eyed after three days as he was missing his mum, then near the end turned out to be the negotiator for the bargains.

I hope that he and his dad keep the relationship going when they get back

Latest ep of American Gods, one of the far better ones. Last weeks was a bit meh but it was a story builder.
This weeks was slick and very well made but it is still building up to something.

Hinterland

Main character, a Detective Inspector, transferred from the Met to Wales bringing his 'issues' with him, but we don't know what they are. Like Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon, he lives in a trailer beside the water, but Mel's was on the beach at Santa Barbara, California, overlooking the balmy Pacific, not outside Aberystwyth in a muddy field facing the Irish Sea in winter.

Either there was a limited budget that necessitated filming in Wales in winter or this is another in the baffling trend of making shows that swamp the soul with despair.
The principle characters are utterly dreary and without humour. The victims and witnesses are broken, low life, or both, and the musical accompaniment trio should rename themselves 'Euthanasia'.

Last edited:
USS Forrestal fire (1967) - History Channel

As with most disasters, this was caused by a chain of events, explains the makers, through USN accident investigators.
The Forrestal's is a supercarrier involved in the Vietnam War. The crew had trained hard enroute the Gulf of Tonkin and the views of everyone aboard were considered. The aircrews questioned the process whereby the underwing ordnance was not connected up to the aircraft's electrical firing circuits until it was on the catapult and ready to launch. At that point the weapons red ribboned safety pins were removed and a 'pigs tail' plugged in, connecting the weapons to the aircraft's electrical circuits', as per navy procedures. The aircrew argued that the safety pins were already isolating the weapons so plugging in the pigs tail before that point would shave off a couple of seconds.

1/ The onboard safety committee agreed, not knowing that strong winds and jet blast were able to use the safety pins red ribbons as sails and blow them out of position, if not completely out of the weapons.

2/ The US was running out of ordnance so old stocks, without fire insulation, had come out of storage from WW2 and Korean War era bomb dumps.

3/ The crew were not all trained in firefighting, they only had a 6 man firefighting crew on deck on 29th July 1967.

That morning there was a bombing strike of Skyhawks on deck with F4 Phantoms in support. The Skyhawks had been bombed up with old 500lb bombs and drop tanks.

Lt Cmdr Jim Bangutt was sat in his F4 Phantom. Lt Cmdr Bangut was unaware that after his walk round check of the exterior, a safety pin to a zuni rocket pod had become unseated, so the weapons in the pod were not isolated. A start-cart was feeding power to his aircraft and as he flicked a switch from external, to internal power, there was an electrical surge and one rocket fired across the deck to strike a Skyhawk's droptank. The fuel ignited a fire that engulfed the Skyhawks. An old 500lb bomb cooked off in the fire and exploded, killing all the trained firefighters.
With the experts dead, the crew tried fighting the fire themselves using both water and fire suppressant foam. The water washed the foam away and also carried the burning fuel to the phantoms across the deck. A second 500lb bomb exploded, blowing a hole in the deck and the water carried the burning fuel down onto the hangar deck where it spread.
So much water was being pumped inside the ship that it started to list dangerously close to a capsize until fuel could be pumped to the other side of the ship to correct it.

Lots of bravery that day, lots of lessons learned.

Very interesting 90 minutes and well worth viewing for ARRSE Accident Investigator wannabes.

Last edited:
Lt Cmdr John McCain (later Senator) was sat in his F4 Phantom. .
imagine if trump see's this documentary, he will accuse McCain of murder.

imagine if trump see's this documentary, he will accuse McCain of murder.
A couple of Blogs claim the documentary blames McCain (it does not). There have been tales, of McCain collaborating with his captors, that have been touted by pro-Trump supporters, so who knows if he will or not.

USS Forrestal fire (1967) - History Channel

As with most disasters, this was caused by a chain of events, explains the makers, through USN accident investigators.
The Forrestal's is a supercarrier involved in the Vietnam War. The crew had trained hard enroute the Gulf of Tonkin and the views of everyone aboard were considered. The aircrews questioned the process whereby the underwing ordnance was not connected up to the aircraft's electrical firing circuits until it was on the catapult and ready to launch. At that point the weapons red ribboned safety pins were removed and a 'pigs tail' plugged in, connecting the weapons to the aircraft's electrical circuits', as per navy procedures. The aircrew argued that the safety pins were already isolating the weapons so plugging in the pigs tail before that point would shave off a couple of seconds.

1/ The onboard safety committee agreed, not knowing that strong winds and jet blast were able to use the safety pins red ribbons as sails and blow them out of position, if not completely out of the weapons.

2/ The US was running out of ordnance so old stocks, without fire insulation, had come out of storage from WW2 and Korean War era bomb dumps.

3/ The crew were not all trained in firefighting, they only had a 6 man firefighting crew on deck on 29th July 1967.

That morning there was a bombing strike of Skyhawks on deck with F4 Phantoms in support. The Skyhawks had been bombed up with old 500lb bombs and drop tanks.

Lt Cmdr John McCain (later Senator) was sat in his F4 Phantom. Lt Cmdr McCain was unaware that after his walk round check of the exterior, a safety pin to a zuni rocket pod had become unseated, so the weapons in the pod were not isolated. A start-cart was feeding power to his aircraft and as he flicked a switch from external, to internal power, there was an electrical surge and one rocket fired across the deck to strike a Skyhawk's droptank. The fuel ignited a fire that engulfed the Skyhawks. An old 500lb bomb cooked off in the fire and exploded, killing all the trained firefighters.
With the experts dead, the crew tried fighting the fire themselves using both water and fire suppressant foam. The water washed the foam away and also carried the burning fuel to the phantoms across the deck. A second 500lb bomb exploded, blowing a hole in the deck and the water carried the burning fuel down onto the hangar deck where it spread.
So much water was being pumped inside the ship that it started to list dangerously close to a capsize until fuel could be pumped to the other side of the ship to correct it.

Lots of bravery that day, lots of lessons learned.

Very interesting 90 minutes and well worth viewing for ARRSE Accident Investigator wannabes.
McCain was in an A-4 and was assigned to VA-46, an A-4 squadron, he never was a Phantom driver
McCains group of A-4’s were on the receiving end of the rocket opposite of the F-4 that fired it.

Not sure who has the facts mixed up, you or the history channel, but many inconsistencies exist. Here is the link to the actual Accident investigation by the USN, pretty dry reading, but it is the proper facts.
http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/investigations/USS FORRESTAL FIRE 12 AUG 69 PT 1.pdf

Last edited:
McCain was in an A-4 and was assigned to VA-46, an A-4 squadron, he never was a Phantom driver
McCains group of A-4’s were on the receiving end of the rocket opposite of the F-4 that fired it.

Not sure who has the facts mixed up, you or the history channel, but many inconsistencies exist. Here is the link to the actual Accident investigation by the USN, pretty dry reading, but it is the proper facts.
http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/investigations/USS FORRESTAL FIRE 12 AUG 69 PT 1.pdf
Rewatched. At 7.28 its states Phantom 110 is flown by Jim Bangutt(?) Old head fuxs up, thrown by comments on the blogs after watching and did not rewatch before posting. Thanks for the kick!

Last edited:
Main character, a Detective Inspector, transferred from the Met to Wales bringing his 'issues' with him, but we don't know what they are. Like Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon, he lives in a trailer beside the water, but Mel's was on the beach at Santa Barbara, California, overlooking the balmy Pacific, not outside Aberystwyth in a muddy field facing the Irish Sea in winter.
I disagree with your assessment there!

Summer in Aber is glorious, the winter hardens you like a Spartan for the season to come.

You can have a huge amount of fun in Abersytwyth which would render the TV show unsuitable for transmission.

I don't watch the show, but I did chuckle - the trailers seem to show the police station in the Theological College opposite the Pier (by the Old College of the University).

Halfway through season 3 of "Better Call Saul".
Having re watched Breaking Bad last month, I can only say that if you liked that then you will love BcS which has many of the characters from BB. Very clever TV.

I disagree with your assessment there!

Summer in Aber is glorious, the winter hardens you like a Spartan for the season to come.

You can have a huge amount of fun in Abersytwyth which would render the TV show unsuitable for transmission.

I don't watch the show, but I did chuckle - the trailers seem to show the police station in the Theological College opposite the Pier (by the Old College of the University).
Many a school holiday in Wales as a kid so, fond memories of summers there but too young to have enjoyed Roman-style orgies in Aber :D

I did get an unexpected recollection that raised a fond smile. Devil's Bridge, in the first episode, as we were driving toward it for the first time in the 60s my dad told us, in hushed tones, the story of the devil living at the bottom of the gorge, building the first bridge and being tricked with the dogs soul as payment. My sister screamed when we drove across.
Both gone now,alas.

Me and the missus binge watched that. Very enjoyable as a sit back and switch off tv series. Also binge watched After Life.
Ricky Gervais tv series. Love him or hate him (I'm not a massive fan) this was brilliant! Some cracking funnies eg

Kid: Paedo!
Ricky Gervais Character: What?
Kid: Paedo!
RGC: I'm not, but if I was, you'd be safe you chubby ginger c**t!

Well worth a watch.

I'm often a bit 'Meh' with Gervais stuff and I had to wade through the first one but glad I persisted. The breast milk rice pudding and vaginal yeast bread scene had me chuckling to myself for hours afterward.

Sadly as it Easter holidays the next thing I see will either be Superwings or the Mighty Annoying Power Rangers..... bloody kids getting older grumble, grumble, I didn't mind Ben and Hollys Little Kingdom at least the Absolutely Crowd chuck in the odd bit for the parents.