What TV show have you just watched

Thing is, the 'nice bits' of Rome and Naples actually make up only a small bit of each city. Main, non-touristy bits are quite dire due to the local city authorities being far too stretched to even provide basic services.

However, Naples is a really rough place if you ain't careful.

Gomorrah is excellent
Agreed , but it’s odd in a way as I find you can’t really root for 1 character as they’re all a bunch of massive Charlie’s.

True Detective Series 3
Good storyline, but the sound engineers want sacking.Last episode with the two guys sitting on the verandah talking was appalling.I had to rewind it and watch with subtitles turned on.

Have been addicted to Gomorrah - Italian drug dealers in Naples. Just fantastic, pacey, don't get to like characters too much as the death count is larger than Game of Thrones. Sort of got into Italian Gangster Rap which is a who new musical genre for me. The most amazing thing is they film it all without showing any of the nice bits of Naples and Rome. Series 4 will be out soon.
I wonder if Cristiana Dell'Anna who plays Patrizia will rise to the top in the next series?
Unknown.jpeg

Thing is, the 'nice bits' of Rome and Naples actually make up only a small bit of each city. Main, non-touristy bits are quite dire due to the local city authorities being far too stretched to even provide basic services.

However, Naples is a really rough place if you ain't careful.

Gomorrah is excellent

You actually get idiots posting on Tripadvisor, asking which bus you take, to visit the areas where Gomorrah is shot.......

The Grand Tour S3 Ep5.....

Bit of a dull first half, coming so close after the excellent Columbia Special. Though, the Jim Clark segment at the end was excellent and very interesting indeed.

Reminded me a little of things like the Saab episode Top Gear did when the firm went under as a tribute.

Alongside the specials, it was things like that which made old school TG great.

The Grand Tour S3 Ep5.....

Bit of a dull first half, coming so close after the excellent Columbia Special. Though, the Jim Clark segment at the end was excellent and very interesting indeed.

Reminded me a little of things like the Saab episode Top Gear did when the firm went under as a tribute.

Alongside the specials, it was things like that which made old school TG great.
Thanks for that.
Yes, the 'serious' bits of TG and Grand Tour were always great. The one they did on the Lancia rally cars v Audi was real petrolhead heaven - entertaining, educational and amusing.
Obviously they have to have a broad appeal - which is why they act like such mutts a bit too much - but when they want to get serious, it worls.
Clarkson's VC stuff, and his PQ17 documentary, were classic examples.

True Detective Series 3
Good storyline, but the sound engineers want sacking.Last episode with the two guys sitting on the verandah talking was appalling.I had to rewind it and watch with subtitles turned on.
Thought it was just me that had gone partly deaf all of a sudden, the veranda speech was long, slow, and low, but I have had a hard time listening to the black detective in all 5 episodes. If tonight's ep doesn't improve or move forward into actually doing some investigating the series is about to get dumped.

Last edited:
A quick synopsis of the so called re-make of Das Boot which is nothing like a remake of Das Boot.......
Good, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, good, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, good, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, good, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, good....and so on for 8 episodes.

The boxheads could have made a cracking 5 episode Submarine series and a good 5 episode Gestapo & resistance series there but chose not to do that.

(yes, I know there is a separate thread)

Bosch series 4 and I watched it on DVD not TV (don't have one) but it was originally shown on TV. I have all 4 series on DVD and read the other day that series 5 has just wrapped and series 6 was announce. Fantastic news as I regard it as one of the best detective series broadcast. The acting is superb from the leads to the supporting cast; the script writing is also superb and manages to give real depth to all the characters, not just the leads; and the production values matches anything done by Hollywood.

For anyone who hasn't seen any of the series before, Titus Welliver plays the eponymous hero, a detective based in the Hollywood station of the LAPD. As an aside they actually got permission to film inside the real station after hours with actual police playing the role of extras. An underlying theme through all 4 series so far is Bosch's cold case pursuit of his mother's murderer. This is resolved in series 4 along with the case that starts the series. Bosch is not always straight-forward in how he solves his cases which can often land him in trouble with his superiors but it is to him they turn when they need a difficult case solved. Another excellent feature of the series is the political machinations that are going on between the higher echelons and especially the Commissioner of Police and the Mayor's Office.

In case you haven't caught on, I am a rusted on fan of the series and am eagerly awaiting series 5 promised for this year.

Bosch series 4 and I watched it on DVD not TV (don't have one) but it was originally shown on TV. I have all 4 series on DVD and read the other day that series 5 has just wrapped and series 6 was announce. Fantastic news as I regard it as one of the best detective series broadcast. The acting is superb from the leads to the supporting cast; the script writing is also superb and manages to give real depth to all the characters, not just the leads; and the production values matches anything done by Hollywood.

For anyone who hasn't seen any of the series before, Titus Welliver plays the eponymous hero, a detective based in the Hollywood station of the LAPD. As an aside they actually got permission to film inside the real station after hours with actual police playing the role of extras. An underlying theme through all 4 series so far is Bosch's cold case pursuit of his mother's murderer. This is resolved in series 4 along with the case that starts the series. Bosch is not always straight-forward in how he solves his cases which can often land him in trouble with his superiors but it is to him they turn when they need a difficult case solved. Another excellent feature of the series is the political machinations that are going on between the higher echelons and especially the Commissioner of Police and the Mayor's Office.

In case you haven't caught on, I am a rusted on fan of the series and am eagerly awaiting series 5 promised for this year.
I’ve got Amazon so I think I’ll give that a go.
Was it yerself that said it was off putting that he looked like Jimmy Nesbitt? Don’t watch Sons of Anarchy then ‘cos he does the accent too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read the first Harry Bosch book, "The Black Echo", and quite liked it, so I am interested to know if there are any problems with with the series turning Bosch from a Vietnam veteran to one of the Gulf War - (because of the makers pinging the time line forward twenty years according to the shows Wikipedia page).

The guy who plays Bosch seems rather compelling in the clips of the show I have seen.

Just finished watching series 2 of Tin Star. That's several hours of my life I won't get back. Utter, utter, UTTER unexpurgated tosh!

Plot holes that you could drive not just a coach and horses through but an entire cavalry battalion. For example (of hundreds) apparently in Alberta, you can hijack a taxi, dump the taxi driver in your police cruiser and drive said taxi around for a further four episodes with no response from the authorities.

The most telling, ridiculous plot howler was when Christina Hendricks character pulls a chap in the hotel bar, takes him to her room and proceeds to play hide the sausage sitting on top. The chap is seen holding her hips. Do the producers seriously think that ANY red-blooded male, faced with la Hendricks sitting on his cock, is not going to have those magnificent chebs out and in play??!! Ridiculous! ;)

The plot development and character engagement was so dire I honestly wanted the main protagonists to be slotted in the final denouement. There was simply no capacity throughout for the viewer to give a siht about any of them. Scenes most likely written to shock, such as the murder of young women and graphic torture/violence elicited no more than a ''meh'' even from 0A who's usually not given to holding back when the going gets grim.

We both agreed that we had held out watching this train wreck in the hope of it getting better...it didn't.

Just finished watching series 2 of Tin Star. That's several hours of my life I won't get back. Utter, utter, UTTER unexpurgated tosh!

Plot holes that you could drive not just a coach and horses through but an entire cavalry battalion. For example (of hundreds) apparently in Alberta, you can hijack a taxi, dump the taxi driver in your police cruiser and drive said taxi around for a further four episodes with no response from the authorities.

The most telling, ridiculous plot howler was when Christina Hendricks character pulls a chap in the hotel bar, takes him to her room and proceeds to play hide the sausage sitting on top. The chap is seen holding her hips. Do the producers seriously think that ANY red-blooded male, faced with la Hendricks sitting on his cock, is not going to have those magnificent chebs out and in play??!! Ridiculous! ;)

The plot development and character engagement was so dire I honestly wanted the main protagonists to be slotted in the final denouement. There was simply no capacity throughout for the viewer to give a siht about any of them. Scenes most likely written to shock, such as the murder of young women and graphic torture/violence elicited no more than a ''meh'' even from 0A who's usually not given to holding back when the going gets grim.

We both agreed that we had held out watching this train wreck in the hope of it getting better...it didn't.
I watched the first season and thought it was okayish. I’ve just watched the first episode of season 2 and was wondering where it was going to go, given that Tim Roth’s drunken, law breaking, bereaved Police chief had basically come to the end of any plausible road. I don’t think I’ll waste any more time on it, given the multitude of other dramas and box sets out there.

After hearing mucho acclaim from everyone I decided to give Russian Doll a go.

Started off disliking every character in it, & continued to dislike them again & again & again.

They're the kinds of self absorbed, flaky, pseuds that Woody Allen made some very funny & enjoyable films about 40 years ago. This just makes them unlikeable and tedious.

If you enjoy it then fair enough, you just like different things to me.

I've read the first Harry Bosch book, "The Black Echo", and quite liked it, so I am interested to know if there are any problems with with the series turning Bosch from a Vietnam veteran to one of the Gulf War - (because of the makers pinging the time line forward twenty years according to the shows Wikipedia page).

The guy who plays Bosch seems rather compelling in the clips of the show I have seen.
I haven't read the books but from the comments re the show on IMDb they reckon that Welliver has caught the character well and there was no objection to the shift in the time line.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Oddbod Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 3
Sadurian Brexit 1321
vvaannmmaann The NAAFI Bar 39