What TV show have you just watched

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Started watching the repeat of Friday's HIGNFY.
Haven't watched for a while,could not stand the left wing bias,switched off.
Concur. Gave up on this PPB for Labour ages ago.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
'Shell Shock' with Dan Snow (as usual too much look at me) but otherwise vg.

My grandfather and eight of his brothers/brothers in law were in that war (one KIA). At 1st Ypres on November 11th one of these great uncles was caught up in the attack by the Prussian Guard. A bullet in the right leg - which mercifully missed the bone - was followed by his being knocked out by a shell. Concussed and temporarily blinded, and his heart strained from the shock, this was a near-miss indeed - there were to be others. A long period of hospitalisation and sick leave followed. A wound to his skull was fixed by the medics hammering a silver half crown flat and using it to fill a gap. The blindness, which as mentioned in the programme was psychosomatic, continued until just before Christmas, but the least exertion set his pulse racing and he was not restored to duty for five more months. By November 1915 he was commanding a Company on the Somme but on 18th, suffering from fainting fits and paralysis following another near-miss by a shell - his injuries classified as “very severe” - he was again invalided home. Not until May 1916 was he fit even for home service “with no route-marching” and he was still on light duty in April 1917. In 1918, his ribs strapped up after being rolled by his horse, he picked up an MC in March and a CdeG in June. Significantly (I think), of the eight survivors,, only three of their marriages lasted and one of those was a rolling disaster.

Seven of their sons went on to Round 2 (another KIA), one of them was reported in a rather dodgy state in Italy but went on via Normandy to Hamburg and his marriage crashed too as did that of one of his brothers.

An antidote to the execrable Dan Snow came in the form of the far superior art historian Dan Cruickshank's "Monuments of Remembrance" - his new BBC Four documentary covering the foundation, struggles and lasting work of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and its founder and main impetus, Fabian Ware.

I think it makes an ideal companion piece to Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old" which a lot of this parish seems to like.

An antidote to the execrable Dan Snow came in the form of the far superior art historian Dan Cruickshank's "Monuments of Remembrance" - his new BBC Four documentary covering the foundation, struggles and lasting work of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and its founder and main impetus, Fabian Ware.

I think it makes an ideal companion piece to Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old" which a lot of this parish seems to like.
Agreed. I was particularly fascinated by the controversy the now familiar headstone caused when it was initially unveiled but has now become so iconic.

A Netflix series called Medal of Honor, with commentary from actual MOH winners and well done reenactments of past winners is worth a look.

They shall not grow old. Bloody amazing and I couldn't imagine the hell those lads went through.

I've watched the first two episodes of Origin. Seems like quite a good horror/sci-fi. If anyone has ever played the Dead Space games, it's reminding me a little bit of that at the moment, although you've only had a little taste of what the issue is. A lot of it at the moment is back story of the people but it's building nicely. Only issue I have with it is the writer is using that pish jump scare thing a bit too often

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Channel 5 double header last night.

1. Centenary of the RAF - pedestrian commentary read by Martyn Lewis but amazingly no 'look at me' stuff. Lots of clips of boys' toys (sometimes I thought a bit out of sequence and to my great delight a couple of aircraft with ROYAL NAVY painted on the side and a clip of a Harrier launching off a carrier's ski-ramp). Oddly (I thought) no mention of the Berlin Airlift where the Crabs did do rather well, but transport aircraft are boring, and no mention of Coastal Command which helped keep Harris' bombers supplied with fuel (something Harris didn't quite get IMHO).

2. WELL worth catch-up, Portillo exploring a disused nuclear bunker near Cambridge. He always comes across to me as a bit creepy but he had some fascinating bods lined up for interview including a Sov who had commanded a Foxtrot submarine carrying nuclear-tipped torpedoes off Cuba during the 1962 missile crisis. Indeed Portillo took the viewer inside a rather derelict Foxtrot which apparently lies at a buoy in the Medway - I never knew that. As to Cuba, much excitement and apparently we were on the edge of Armageddon but I never realised that when watching the events from the wardroom TV room at Whale Island. Of course if it had all gone up me and my comfy chair would have instantly vaporised along with the rest of Portsmouth. Icy calm, me.

Enjoy, very ARRSE-worthy:
[NB the Foxtrot is NOT a 'nuclear submarine' as the pig ignorant caption hack puts it]

My5

Channel 5 double header last night.

1. Centenary of the RAF - pedestrian commentary read by Martyn Lewis but amazingly no 'look at me' stuff. Lots of clips of boys' toys (sometimes I thought a bit out of sequence and to my great delight a couple of aircraft with ROYAL NAVY painted on the side and a clip of a Harrier** launching off a carrier's ski-ramp). Oddly (I thought) no mention of the Berlin Airlift where the Crabs did do rather well, but transport aircraft are boring, and no mention of Coastal Command which helped keep Harris' bombers supplied with fuel (something Harris didn't quite get IMHO).

2. WELL worth catch-up, Portillo exploring a disused nuclear bunker near Cambridge. He always comes across to me as a bit creepy but he had some fascinating bods lined up for interview including a Sov who had commanded a Foxtrot submarine carrying nuclear-tipped torpedoes off Cuba during the 1962 missile crisis. Indeed Portillo took the viewer inside a rather derelict Foxtrot which apparently lies at a buoy in the Medway - I never knew that. As to Cuba, much excitement and apparently we were on the edge of Armageddon but I never realised that when watching the events from the wardroom TV room at Whale Island. Of course if it had all gone up me and my comfy chair would have instantly vaporised along with the rest of Portsmouth. Icy calm, me.

Enjoy, very ARRSE-worthy:
[NB the Foxtrot is NOT a 'nuclear submarine' as the pig ignorant caption hack puts it]

My5
** Sea Harrier you mean.

If it was not for the Sea Harrier and the RN, there would have been no Falklands task group. Without the Falklands, would the Harrier (all versions) just be seen as an oddity?

Squeezing a hundred years of RAF history into less than an hour (remember the ad breaks) means stuff gets left out, but leaving out maritime aircraft seems not quite right.

The shall not grow old.
I’ve just finished watching this in full on BBC I-player. Completely blown away. I started watching it last night with the missus who is German. She asked me to switch it off after about 35 minutes - not because of the obvious reasons, but because she was upset about the scenes showing the swarms of rats in the trenches! Anyway, I finished it off today, while she is off shopping with a mate.
Bloody fantastic! At times, you feel as if some of the the footage has been filmed in modern times, using actors, it looks (and sounds) so real. But, it is all genuine footage, digitally enhanced by Jackson and his expert team. Add in the audio soundtrack of veterans, mainly recorded in the 60’s and 70’s and sound effects using original WW1 equipment (Jackson is a WW1 fanatic and has an amazing collection of military hardware from the era) and it is an astonishing piece of film making.
I also watched the ‘making of’ companion documentary called ‘What do artists do all day’, which gives an even better insight into his collaboration with the Imperial War Museum.
A very fitting tribute, by a true genius. Be aware, if you were hoping to watch this on I-Player at a more convenient date, it is deleted at midnight tonight!

David Attenborough's Dynasties - just seen the one about Emperor penguins. High drama when the poor little things fell into a ravine and were using their beaks like ice-axes to try and get out.

Succumbed to the hype and binge watched The Bodyguard tonight. Is it just me or did it turn into a load of bollocks after the 2nd episode
The curse of 'Binge watching', everything, except The Expanse, and . Altered Carbon, turns into a load of bollocks after a few episodes.

A fitting episode but I won't say too much in case some of you aren't up to date with Walking Dead.

Last edited:
Having exhausted Daredevil on Netflix I've just moved onto Rake.
Aussie Barrister with complicated personal life type of thing but as its Ozzie its got a sense of humour that makes it quite watchable.
Just started watching Rake a few nights ago, and it had me hooked from the first episode. Anyone who uses a vegan cannibal as a character has won me over.