What TV show have you just watched

The First The First (TV Series 2018– ) - IMDb
Not sure if it will be released in the UK, thank heaven for small mercies!
I downloaded the first 4 episodes and gave up halfway through the third and deleted the rest.
It's stars that Argentinian supporting buffoon, Sean Penn, so it was on a hiding to nothing to start with for me.
It's set in the near future and is all about getting a manned rocket mission to Mars.
I wasted 3 hours of my life. Don't do it people.....I even missed yesterdays episode of 'Tipping Point':mad:

The Bodyguard

I have been known in the past to slag the BBC :rolleyes:for dumbing down its programmes, but it has come out with an absolute cracker in The Bodyguard and I suspect that the denouement next week will be well up to standard.

This had been a really tense drama played very tightly. I am looking forward to next week's last episode.

The BBC deserve credit for this programme which I expect will pick up many awards.
Award winning right enough. My only disappointment was Keeley Hawes keeping her bra on whilst having it off with her ‘close protection’.
Suaranne Jones did exactly the same in Dr Foster. Why?
Does any normal bloke allow the woman to keep her bra on during a hot session? Authenticity people, authenticity! :grin:

Last edited:
Award winning right enough. My only disappointment was Keeley Hawes keeping her bra on whilst having it off with her ‘close protection’.
Does any normal bloke allow the woman to keep her bra on during a hot session? Authenticity people, authenticity! :grin:
Good point.......and what about Fanny Farts? Never hear a fanny fart in TV sex scenes.

Just finished watching the last two episodes of the Spanish Inquisition themed murder mystery mini-series, "The Plague" on the BBC iPlayer.
Very well done, excellent acting, and showed how savage things were in Spain during the Sixteenth Century when it came to sectarian warfare.

It was also quite twisty as to who and what laid behind the series of murders that were the driving force behind the plot. I cannot wait for the next series.

The First The First (TV Series 2018– ) - IMDb
Not sure if it will be released in the UK, thank heaven for small mercies!
I downloaded the first 4 episodes and gave up halfway through the third and deleted the rest.
It's stars that Argentinian supporting buffoon, Sean Penn, so it was on a hiding to nothing to start with for me.
It's set in the near future and is all about getting a manned rocket mission to Mars.
I wasted 3 hours of my life. Don't do it people.....I even missed yesterdays episode of 'Tipping Point':mad:
So far in to first episode, Sean Penn who I did not recognise has got my back up so I may give a 2nd episode a go then bin it if its as bad as it seems.

This Bodyguard thing has got my goat, aside from all the obvious thats been mentioned we have an awful lot of female and ethnic roles, well aside from the security services who I guess will be the baddies. They are all male and white aside from a minor role of a black woman in their ops room.

This Bodyguard thing has got my goat, aside from all the obvious thats been mentioned we have an awful lot of female and ethnic roles, well aside from the security services who I guess will be the baddies. They are all male and white aside from a minor role of a black woman in their ops room.
I thought I was the only one that had noticed that.I won't be watching the rest,I can't be bothered and I don't really care what happens.

After Jack Ryan I'm onto The Looming Tower. Similar aspects involving CIA, FBI, Terrorism. Really good!
Posted on this thread a few months ago about Looming Tower. Its based on the book of the same name which in itself is an excellent read on the reasoning & ideology behind the attacks. The series does a grand job of translating that to the small screen.

I’m loving Killing Eve on bbc, funny original, dark humour

If you want a wtf, edge of your seat reality police procedural try
Reported Missing on bbc1

Riveting stuff and they don’t half ratchet up the tension with twist and shows normal coppers digging out blind

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Three from BBC4 recently -

1. Prog about HMS Victory so had to try it. A bit banal, picked up on a couple of new things, but the presenter didn't really 'get' what he was talking about so I'll probably skip the rest like Mary Rose this week.

2. Palin in NK - fascinating but very clear that he was under considerable restrictions. Will stay with that one. Norks spooky.

3. 'The Silent War' - noted already above - captivating. 2nd half this week. Good interviews with submariners from both sides including ex-Sov 4-star in grotty little flat & with David Owen. The 'Trade' were always a breed apart right from the very first boats and to my mind often a bit strange. But pootling along underneath an enemy aircraft carrier with only twelve feet between your periscope and her keel - blimey.

Palin in NK - fascinating but very clear that he was under considerable restrictions. Will stay with that one. Norks spooky.
It really is great to have him back on our screens again - he is such a good presenter. As you say, he is on a tight leash, but it is still fascinating to get a rare glimpse of life behind the curtains of that strange, compelling country, which seems to be chock full of very good looking young females. The traffic wardens in white ankle socks stick in the mind for some reason!

320197A6-D837-4EA3-A802-19BE6D9E1D58.jpeg

As for BBC 4, it remains far and away the best channel in the BBC arsenal. I saw a repeat of a gem of a music documentary presented by Rick Wakeman last night, about the life of bands on the road in the early seventies, in their battered up old vans - before they could afford their own private jets! Hilarious and fascinating in equal parts.

It really is great to have him back on our screens again - he is such a good presenter. As you say, he is on a tight leash, but it is still fascinating to get a rare glimpse of life behind the curtains of that strange, compelling country, which seems to be chock full of very good looking young females. The traffic wardens in white ankle socks stick in the mind for some reason!

View attachment 354128

As for BBC 4, it remains far and away the best channel in the BBC arsenal. I saw a repeat of a gem of a music documentary presented by Rick Wakeman last night, about the life of bands on the road in the early seventies, in their battered up old vans - before they could afford their own private jets! Hilarious and fascinating in equal parts.
Shapely young women, in white ankle socks, stick in the minds of us all ;) .

'The Angel' on Netflix. Very good - and instructive, given the period in which it takes place. Trust may not be all, but it's a feckovalot.