• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

What TV show have you just watched

New Euro-cop show on BBC4 at 9pm this evening.

Salamander Blood Diamonds.

Set in Belgium so not strictly Scandi-Noir but it gets a good review in the Times.

Hopefully a good follow up to replace Below The Surface.

View attachment 330881

I hope it doesn’t require too much knowledge of Series 1 to make sense.
The first series was excellent, this second one is shaping up very well too.

Been watching Crossing Lines - a Euro based police show with a multi-national small task force of cops working for the ICC under Donald Sutherland. Its got a token troubled yank ex-cop in it for some reason plus some quality european beauties to lust over. Its not bad, a bit lame at times though.

Am also watching the second series of Taken which at times is total shite. Jennifer Biels is very easy on the eye & would look so good sat on my face so I bear the crapness of it. It does have its good episodes though.

Spent the week burning through a few recent seasons of popular shows.

The Grand Tour, Season 2 - much better than the first season, now that they've got the legal buffer of distance between their format and the old TG format in play.

The Last Ship, Season 4 - the crew of the USS Nathan James desperately try to feed the post-viral apocalypse world in a hail of 5.56mm and CIWS but it's getting a bit tired and formulaic now.

Strike Back Retribution - Christ on a bike! Dust off the script of the second season and do a find-and-replace on the character names and locations. At least a Brit plays the Brit this time, I s'pose, but they've still got an Aussie playing the Yank. The original pair popping up for the last episode still couldn't save it.

Britannia, Season 1 - look busy; the Romans are coming! Compelling despite the lack of legionnary/locals mass dust-ups. Begging for a second series.

The Alienist on Netflix, set in New York during the late 19th century where someone has a passion for killing young boys.
I was hoping for something a bit dark & interesting but instead I got the most ham fisted portrayal of life from this era written by someone in their 20's who's never read anything but Twitter.
Daniel Bruhl plays a psychiatrist who makes Christopher hitchens look like a fluffy bunny towards the religious with lots of nihilistic staring. Disappointing as he's usually a very watchable actor.

Luke Jones as a complete fanny magnet and illustrater on commission to Herr Bruhl and is at odds with the Oirish police Captain & his cronies.

Android 7443Beta with a Dakota Fanning facemask plays "the first woman to work for the New York Police Department." I know this for a fact because it's said far too often just in case anyone out there didn't get it. She has absolutely no emotional range whatsoever and delivers all her lines in a flat monotone.

David Wilmot takes a break from being an IRA character to another Oirish stereotype in the police captain and ringleader in trying to break Android 7443Beta's programming.

I've only seen Ep1 & bits of Ep 2 before I gave up but in short Boy Whores (Boys dressed as young girls for Gentlemens pleasure) are being murdered & mutilated. what I found jarring was them being portrayed not as poor victims but salacious predators themselves.

Very clunkily written to hit home the "Values were different back then" message, the old problem of judging people from the past by todays standards.
Best avoided.

And MotoGP, on catch-up.
Not as interesting a race as the Argentine one- which was spectacular- but it had some battles. It's hard to see how the reigning champion will lose his title but you never know what the next race will bring.

Just watched the last episode of Looming Tower, very well done and a reminder of the carnage and lives torn apart on that day

I believe the story line is fairly accurate, the CIA seemed to have dropped a big clanger by the actions of some analysts.

Just watched the last episode of Looming Tower, very well done and a reminder of the carnage and lives torn apart on that day

I believe the story line is fairly accurate, the CIA seemed to have dropped a big clanger by the actions of some analysts.
Indeed. The book is even better delving deeper into some of the detail although there may well be some factual holes subject to OPSEC of the time etc.
The lack of oversight regarding collaboration with other agencies by the CIA was shocking but I can see why from a long term intelligence objectives viewpoint. A difficult one to call.

Am nearly finished with Series 2 of Occupied, the excellent norwegian political thriller on Sky arts. Well worth a watch with a very interesting plot line that is even more topical in the current west/russian climate.

"The Secret Life of Brian", the documentary about the making of the controversial Monty Python comedy feature film. It's on YouTube if you want to watch.

The Sopranos, on Sky box-set. Mr Angry time; at the start of every episode, some female functionary intones that "This programme contains strong and frequent language".

Like, I mean, WTF, man.

Brilliant series. I only wish it had gone on for longer but i suppose they couldnt drag it out

The Sopranos, on Sky box-set. Mr Angry time; at the start of every episode, some female functionary intones that "This programme contains strong and frequent language".

Like, I mean, WTF, man.
There's a channel over here which, prior to every film, intones all the horrible things one might view, like language, sex, violence, etc. Now it's warning against "historical smoking." I guess watching someone light up a cigarette is going to bring down western civilization. I wonder how long before there's a warning that says: Warning - May contain heterosexuality!

Cheers,
Dan.

Ellie Harrison on Countryfile tonight talking about beavers. A bit of culture I'm not missing! :smile:

Like, I mean, WTF, man.
Not got around to watching the box set, however, I constantly replay the backing tracks to the series, particularly series 1.

My year with the tribe on BBC2

Jaw dropping stuff, how documentary making goes wrong/unexpectedly

Absolutely riveting, how developed cultures tempt stone age cultures literally down from the trees with money then wonder why the tribesmen blackmail them and hold them hostage :mrgreen:

Just finished watching Keeping Faith on BBC iplayer. Welsh crime drama, well worth a watch. Bosch Season 4 was excellent, and thoroughly enjoyed Looming Tower.