What TV show have you just watched

Reign - Allegedly about Mary Queen of Scots.
About as historically and realistically correct as the Germans bombing Pearl Harbour from flying saucers.

Very pretty girls, and very pretty boys. Nice, but non-period wardrobe for the girls, along with non-period speech and an annoying use of contemporary nicknames , ie, Sebastian de Poitiers is 'Bash'.

Spiced up with one of the very pretty girls, former Neighbours actress Caitlin Stasey, strumming off on the stairs and having girl-on-girl for the kings bedchamber pleasure (all rather soft), and plot lines that were ridiculous.
Basically, Hollyoaks with posh frocks and swords.

My teenage nieces love it, but fortunately it clashes with the Big Bang Theory and until they pay the cable bill they have no say in the matter.

Link:
What the critics say

Last edited:
The Grand Tour -- the episode where they try to feed a village called Bingo, in Mozambique.

It's time for the lads to retire. They're looking old, fat, tired and they've run out of ideas. Their attempt at celebrity irony in the closing shot.... see for yourselves, if you have Prime.

No snowflake here but I have to question their (and their team's) hold on reality when they waste so much food in a land that's acknowledged to be one of the of the poorest. In particular, allowing the live fish to die in such a manner that would have had the RSPCA feeling their collars if they'd done that in the UK.... literally suffocated and broiled simulatenously. James May, Captain Slow & Sensible, you're a cock.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Grand Tour -- the episode where they try to feed a village called Bingo, in Mozambique.

It's time for the lads to retire. They're looking old, fat, tired and they've run out of ideas. Their attempt at celebrity irony in the closing shot.... see for yourselves, if you have Prime.

No snowflake here but I have to question their (and their team's) hold on reality when they waste so much food in a land that's acknowledged to be one of the of the poorest. In particular, allowing the live fish to die in such a manner that would have had the RSPCA feeling their collars if they'd done that in the UK.... literally suffocated and broiled simulatenously. James May, Captain Slow & Sensible, you're a cock.
I watched that and the episode before yesterday, in the episode before they had Paris Hilton, She's a bit of a fox now she's matured and a cracking cleavage on show as well.

Currently watching Lillyhammer and have just started season 2. It is mildly entertaining and amusing but The Sopranos it aint!

6/10

C

count_duckula

Black Mirror, the new series. USS Callister is definitely the best episode although Black Museum was very good as well. The cloned and imprisoned person trope that was so shocking in the Christmas special that Brooker did is becoming a bit tired now but still entertaining. I still don't think the new episodes are quite as nasty and penetrating as the first two series though.

Just started watching Designated Survivor. A poor man's 'House of Cards, but still enjoyable and I like the concept of Kiefer Sutherland's character being thrust unexpectedly into the highest level of US politics. I'm only 4 episodes in, but it is catchy
I soon got tired of his constant whispering...too many actors do this nowadays...dramatic effect my ass...it's boring and does not reflect real life at all.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Tried The Expanse? Not bad at all if you need a Sci-fi fix.
Replying to this only a month later: a new record :)

Cheers, I've watched the first six episodes over the weekend and it's enjoyably low-tech/grimy. Not sure I care about any of the characters yet but the setting's well-realised.*

*Apart from the 'Belters', at which I giggle like a schoolgirl.

agree with Grumpy and Joker re TGT
Hammond needs to start dressing his age also he's eyes like dogs bollicks now,age is not being kind to him or the other two if truth was told. in saying that it still amuses me.
oh ..and they got rid of the yank which was a good move.

Last edited:
Replying to this only a month later: a new record :)

Cheers, I've watched the first six episodes over the weekend and it's enjoyably low-tech/grimy. Not sure I care about any of the characters yet but the setting's well-realised.*

*Apart from the 'Belters', at which I giggle like a schoolgirl.
I think that you will start to care about a few of the characters as you watch more episodes. Especially two of them. I won't say any more as it would spoil it, but you will know when you get there.

There has been some criticism of the Belter patois on some forums, but I think it is a great nod to the realism that the show is aiming for. It is a mix of several accents and is understandable if you concentrate on it. It is not as if a group of people living out in the Kuiper belt for a couple of generations would be speaking in a clipped oxford accent.
All in all I rate The Expanse and Altered Carbon as the best Sci-Fi ever made. Two very different styles and takes on the genre but both incredibly deep and stunning with excellent writing and acting.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
There has been some criticism of the Belter patois on some forums, but I think it is a great nod to the realism that the show is aiming for. It is a mix of several accents and is understandable if you concentrate on it. It is not as if a group of people living out in the kuyper belt for a couple of generations would be speaking in a clipped oxford accent.
You're right of course and I quite enjoy the argot they use. It's just references to people being belters that marks me as hugely immature.

You're right of course and I quite enjoy the argot they use. It's just references to people being belters that marks me as hugely immature.
Lol, until I read this, I had not put two and two together. :) Thanks, I won't be able to watch it again without thinking of that.....bugger.

Season 3 is due June 10th

I thought John Cleese said he wouldn't do another comedy for the BBC? Well, after watching 10 minutes of Hold The Sunset I have to say he wasn't lying.

I have to agree with @wheel - it was crap and the stars obviously in it to line their pockets.

A cracking German policier, and it will improve your German.
Having just watched episode 1:
Inspector Falke - All 4

Just watched 2 series of Narcos on Netflix, based, loosely I guess, on the rise & fall of Pablo Escobar.

I’d give it 7.5/10. It got better as it went along. Still better than most of the dross served up on mainstream channels.

Black Mirror, the new series. USS Callister is definitely the best episode although Black Museum was very good as well. The cloned and imprisoned person trope that was so shocking in the Christmas special that Brooker did is becoming a bit tired now but still entertaining. I still don't think the new episodes are quite as nasty and penetrating as the first two series though.
I leaned a life lesson, don't forget to the guinea pig.