What TV did you watch over the Christmas holidays, and why.

Took Mrs OB before becoming Mrs OB to the USA in 1995 . Flew with Lufthansa on Christmas Day , of the seven or eight tv films and movies . All in box-head . The only English one was this . “Same as as last year”.
Later living in Italy, every bloody years we have the Sissi film on back to back.

Sadder note , had to work in Austria in 2006 for a good few weeks, took time off to walk through the city center and the palaces. Found one of the palaces that Empress Elisabeth (Sissi) of Austria used to live in.

Amazing palace and museum , sad thing was the glass case with the dress she was assassinated (murdered) in as well as the tiny 4 inch long sharpened murder weapon.
"living in Italy, every bloody years we have the Sissi film on back to back".

We had that yesterday here. Another firm favourite at this time in Germanland.

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer
Telly is on in the background when I am cooking. Mainly rubbish Crimbo movies. Or cartoons. I like cartoons.
Other than that, mainly radio this year. Jarvis Cocker’s 6M show was a cracker.

Herman Munster

Old-Salt
The TV is mostly 99.99% total crap all year round in Germany and especially at Christmas. So I look for old TV shows and films on youtube.
Sweeney (imho the greatest "cop" show ever made) and Callan (mostly the black and white episodes) really great shows.

Watched the Queen on Christmas Day as we do every year because she always manages to sum up the year so well and I hope she continues to do so for many more years to come.
Then watched in the evening the BBC 4 programme on Morecambe and Wise as I had hoped they’d feature the Angela Ripon dance routine. They did and it was good as I remember from first seeing it as a nipper in 76 and on repeat the following year.

The TV is mostly 99.99% total crap all year round in Germany and especially at Christmas. So I look for old TV shows and films on youtube.
Sweeney (imho the greatest "cop" show ever made) and Callan (mostly the black and white episodes) really great shows.
Isn’t there an annual festive showing of a sketch with an increasingly drunk aristocratic lady and her butler, which is meant to be funny?

Latest episodes of The Expanse and Justified. Both multi series shows I heartily recommend getting into.

Although I do think folks in buttfuck Kentucky all look surprisingly well preserved and slim driving around in their excellently maintained classic 4x4s, as opposed to fat, missing teeth driving a rusted out korean hatchback.

Broadcast telly?
How very 1970s..

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer
Broadcast telly?
How very 1970s..
It ain’t Christmas until you buy your Radio Times and circle the telly you are looking forward to.
When I bought mine from our local shop last week I proffered a note.
Chap behind counter said “Cash? How quaint” which made the transaction immediately tragic. Although he had the last laugh by charging me £5.50 for the thing.
That‘s a Crimbo tradition that does not need to be repeated.

I streamed the very first Blackadder series, and it was the first time in a very long time since I've watched that in its entirety. It really isn't that bad of a series (apart from the very first episode. I thought that was dreadful), but in comparison to the other three series it is much weaker. As much as I like Brian Blessed, he was far too over the top in Blackadder.

It ain’t Christmas until you buy your Radio Times and circle the telly you are looking forward to.
When I bought mine from our local shop last week I proffered a note.
Chap behind counter said “Cash? How quaint” which made the transaction immediately tragic. Although he had the last laugh by charging me £5.50 for the thing.
That‘s a Crimbo tradition that does not need to be repeated.
I made a comment the other year in the How Bone is your Mrs thread, when Major Sunray proudly handed me the Xmas copy and I pointed out we chinned off the Telly tax and removed the aerial because we never watched broadcast TV.

I Increased my annual income by £164.50 with that tradition gone :)

Dalef65

Old-Salt
Did anyone see that thing with David Tennant playing Phileas Fogg trying to get around the world in eighty days? Pretty good, although I nodded of during the first episode.
Yes I saw that.
They've taken the original story and given it the "woke" treatment.
Fogg has a man servant in the book, who in this rendition has now miraculously become some sort of French-African refugee/freedom fighter.

In the original story, there was not a woman to be seen, but in this version, quelle surprise they have managed to insert a bird into the story under the guise of journalism.

Entertaining enough drama, but why couldn't they stick to the script and resist the temptation to go all woke..?

Yes I saw that.
They've taken the original story and given it the "woke" treatment.
Fogg has a man servant in the book, who in this rendition has now miraculously become some sort of French-African refugee/freedom fighter.

In the original story, there was not a woman to be seen, but in this version, quelle surprise they have managed to insert a bird into the story under the guise of journalism.

Entertaining enough drama, but why couldn't they stick to the script and resist the temptation to go all woke..?
Thank you for the input. I shall not watch it.

Jesse Stone series with Tom Selleck in the lead character role. I've yet to see all of the nine stories in author J.D. Parker's efforts to date.

Ch21 (Freeview / 5 USA) pops these on at odd hours and days. No fixed routine it seems. Yesterday, watched - 'Night Passage' ; 'Death in Paradise' ; 'Sea Change'.
The character is an alcoholic, formerly injured baseball turned police officer; the stories commencing from when he up-sticks from LAPD and drives to Massachusetts where he continues in law enforcement as the town police chief.

Marvelously scripted and filmed thanks to Selleck acquiring the book rights.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Jesse Stone series with Tom Selleck in the lead character role. I've yet to see all of the nine stories in author J.D. Parker's efforts to date.

Ch21 (Freeview / 5 USA) pops these on at odd hours and days. No fixed routine it seems. Yesterday, watched - 'Night Passage' ; 'Death in Paradise' ; 'Sea Change'.
The character is an alcoholic, formerly injured baseball turned police officer; the stories commencing from when he up-sticks from LAPD and drives to Massachusetts where he continues in law enforcement as the town police chief.

Marvelously scripted and filmed thanks to Selleck acquiring the book rights.
Good programmes and Selleck plays the part very well. Thoroughly enjoyable series.

Latest Threads