What trade

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by curl1, Sep 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just looking for advice on job choices. My first choice is Fitter general, what is the training like? Do you need a lot of mechanical knowledge beforehand? Any experiences of this trade welcome.

My other choices are also RE (best corps/drinkers in the army so i've heard) Plumber and Design draughtsman.

When do you make a final decision on what job you want (I'm off to selection in about a week).

2. Fitter RE or VM REME???

The training in 'general' is to be a fitter. The more knowledge and experience, the better - but you get taught from scratch and experience then comes with age and practice (ask MDN).

Plumber and Draughtsperson (to be PC - f cuk em) are two separate trades.

Final decision is not necessarily up to you or what YOU want but what they offer ie how many 'bums on seats' the recruiters require to fill their quotas. Also depends on how good you are at Dominoes, on your selection (any one remember those days??). I think it's a good score at 'Ghost Recon' on PS that gives you the edge nowadays :D

At the end of the day (it gets dark!), take any trade (RE or REME) as it will set you up quite nicely for civpop once you've done your time. Also, once you have signed the dotted line and been presented with the Queen's Shilling, you can always change your mind and cross trade (I said 'cross trade REME. Not cross dress!').

Good luck.

3. Fitter General is what used to be Fitter RE.

4. do you not start as a general :D

and then spend 22 years getting fitter :D

5. A fitter in the Corp isn't what it used to be. Promotion is slow and the job is fairly cack - in wksp's with a load of REME blokes.
    Try for sparky, plumber, chippy if you wanna earn some wedge on the outside or a Planty for a good laugh on the inside.
    At the end of the day its up to you and Glasgow (of course), however, as long as your wearing the corp belt you'll be a brother!

6. Thanks for all your posts. I guess I'll just take whatever I'm offered - I'll probably enjoy whichever trade I go for, i just want to get going as soon as psooible.

7. whatever you do dont go clerk of works, or you will be hated by everyone.............

8. Another intelligent post from F_H_A :roll:

9. you know its the truth CoJ. :wink: :D :wink: :D

Sparky is the way forward fella.

10. Sparky is a top trade. A bit geeky :wink: , Planty all the way.
    Big boys toys!!

11. easy tiger, it's good for civvy strasse.

12. Ha Ha Ha! Only pulling bud.

13. that'll be unusual for a "mud muppet" 8O :wink: 8O :wink:

14. Your gonna make me angry :x, bending buckets now!!

15. Stay away from Chippy and Brickie as the quals are not now what the careers office will probably tell you. You have to provide work based experience after the course from your unit. This can be difficult to achieve.