What trade after army

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Carolanne, Dec 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you were leaving the army next year and with the benefit of hindsight(!) what job or trade would you chose to do and why?

2. not with you - a trade whilst in the army - as in, what trade in the army best lines you up for civ div??

3. Apologies for not being clear. I meant what trade whilst in Army ...

4. well several trades are directly transferable, however the most important is that you do a trade you also enjoy, other wise life becomes pretty crappy.

Probably the easiest to map accross me thinks is Medical Trades, especially the technical trades. As you work in Civ Hospitals albeit in a Mil Wing, you have to therefore be legally qualified to carry out work.

In the tech -trades such as REME and Sigs, often you work on equipment either so old or so non civ equivelent, you will have a lot of catch up to do wwhen you leave. Also, as you go up the rank you do less tech work and more admin.

Try the RAF!!!

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The kit may not be the 'cutting edge' but the underlying knowledge and skills are what counts. You'd be surprised at how knowledgeable ex-… people are compared to civvies. Don't underestimate your skills and ability to contribute.

6. Spot on and well said - NEVER under estimate your skills whilst in the Army :roll:

7. I transferred a few years back. Thank christ - at least I can leave in a few years and make a killing. I want revenge for all those lawyers, plumbers, car mechanics etc etc and all the other buggers who have been ripping me off for years.