What to wear when travelling to basic

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by some_bloke, Mar 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What should I wear when I travel to Winchester tomorrow? Do I need to go fully formal in a suit? I was going to wear jeans and a smart shirt, but Ive been getting conflicting opinions from people.

Thanks.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You will fingd that a decent shirt and tie will travel better than in a suitcase and a lot depends on what you are joining. I wore a Jacket and tie in 1981 on the way to IJLB and I had to wear it for two days as they didnt issue us with kit till then. Jeans would have been more comfortable but they were a no no then!
    If the packing list states smart civilian suit then by wearing it you are saving having to carry it and looking smart never hurt. Just remember to polish your shoes!

There you go, no mention of denim cutoffs and rambo knife!

3. First impressions count. I was a Depot Instructor in 03, I would say that a suit carries a long way in a group of chav idiots that turn up in jeans and trainers

4. Thanks for the replys. Shirt and tie it is then!

5. When i did selection i saw a bunch of new guys in training getting a beasting for turning up like they were going to hang out on a street corner, served as a good reminder for when i arrived at lichfield

6. In the Service (generally speaking) if in doubt: over-dress. Your superiors may be bemused by your efforts, but at least you won't get on their bad side.

And for God's sake make sure you've shaved! Good luck.

7. Flip flops and a thong. Nothing else.

8. I only ever took one intake through Pirbright - but the thing I looked for on Day 1 in the recruits? Clean shoes.