What to wear to Harry and Meghan's wedding?

So kilt and tweeds as standard then, though I do know a tailor who can knock up. A linen jacket and waistcoat in the right cut instead if it's a hot day
The tweeds are being made as we speak! Will be a last minute panic to decide what kilt and sporran though...as always!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The tweeds are being made as we speak! Will be a last minute panic to decide what kilt and sporran though...as always!
Always worn a Hunting McDonald myself. Though my uncle is going and will wafting around in a Gordon which was issued to his father in the 1930s

Box pleat naturally
Is there any other? :)

I have 2 Gordons kilts (that fit!), one a proper heavyweight that was given to me by my ex-wifes grandfather. Dated 1937.

The other is the more modern midweight that I bought when playing for the Gordon Highlanders Association Drums and Pipes. Does not hang as nice put probably a better fit.

Both issue and box pleated.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is there any other? :)

I have 2 Gordons kilts (that fit!), one a proper heavyweight that was given to me by my ex-wifes grandfather. Dated 1937.

The other is the more modern midweight that I bought when playing for the Gordon Highlanders Association Drums and Pipes. Does not hang as nice put probably a better fit.

Both issue and box pleated.
Nice, can be a lot warmer, but they do sit nicely.

What Battalion was he?

Nice, can be a lot warmer, but they do sit nicely.

What Battalion was he?
I "think" he was originally 6th Battalion (Banffshire). However, he was a cook and I think he got punted around a bit.

I know he was evacuated off the beach at Dunkirk...but that's about all I know.

Strangely, I found out I had a direct blood relative who was a Captain in the Gordons, attached as a training officer to1/7th Gordons (Deeside) and was actually stationed in the local town to where I live now. He was also a Londoner by origin. Its a small world!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I "think" he was originally 6th Battalion (Banffshire). However, he was a cook and I think he got punted around a bit.

I know he was evacuated off the beach at Dunkirk...but that's about all I know.
My grandfather was 5/7th Mar & Mearns

My Dad was a Gordon during his National Service. Started as an Argyll and got transferred, though I have no idea why, must ask my mother sometime. All I know is he couldn’t say “Fort George” without an expletive.

Amazingly her indoors and myself have somehow been invited to "the wedding" next month. The Lord Lieutenant of Aberdeenshire nominated us for some reason or other (connections ;) ) and the invite dropped through the door last week. I guess the threat of going public with the compromising photos had some bearing on the invite??

Anyway, whilst I shall insist on the better half wearing a Burkha or at least a Hazmat suit and mask, so as not to embarrass me, I am stuck for my own outfit.

Do I go kilted and booted, my hairy sporran flapping in the wind, or perhaps a latex bodysuit and ball gag might be more suitable? I just don't know the protocol for such an event.

Suggestions on a postcard to:

Laird of Glencairn,
Clan Molester
The Hovel on the Hill
Abercrombie and Fitche
Scotland.

Hmm.. One of these in your clans tartan just to show Meghan you are with it and as others have said the full burka for the Mrs, so as not to steal any of Meghan's thunder. Au natural under the kilt to show you are a true Scot of course.

Oh and a photo of the invite on here or it didn't happen :)

He may of served under Colonel Irvine of Drum then? His son is a family friend. The family collected all the newspaper cuttings of the 5/7th right through the war and after. They make fascinating reading.

He also has his fathers war diaries and boxes of photos, including many of the ceremonial return of "the drum" in Berlin in 1946.

On the living room wall is a blue pennant with a large red HD on it. The story goes that when in Berlin, Colonel Irvine had noted that all the German staff cars had pennants, so he had this one made to "fit in".

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He may of served under Colonel Irvine of Drum then? His son is a family friend. The family collected all the newspaper cuttings of the 5/7th right through the war and after. They make fascinating reading.

He also has his fathers war diaries and boxes of photos, including many of the ceremonial return of "the drum" in Berlin in 1946.

On the living room wall is a blue pennant with a large red HD on it. The story goes that when in Berlin, Colonel Irvine had noted that all the German staff cars had pennants, so he had this one made to "fit in".
Most likely, would love to see those.

Most likely, would love to see those.
Unfortunately David and his wife are both in frail health and in their late 80's.

However, David's son has said that he will pass any Gordons/HD related items to the Museum when "the time comes". This may, unfortunately, be quite soon.

My better half will be seeing Lady Caro on Sunday, I can get her to ask.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tiffy_A_Mech Medals 38
PartTimePongo The NAAFI Bar 54
W Medals 29