What To Wear?! Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by bellsandwhistles, Aug 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I have tried to register on rear party but its not working... Please help!

My boyfriend's regiment are having a summer do and he's booked me a flight over. I asked him what to wear and he said "oh it's just a piss up, pro ably fancy dress" but it's not fancy dress. And by the sound of things it's going to last all weekend. So I have no idea what to wear. I am usually a bit scruffy and don't want to embarrass him by looking really underdressed (or overdressed). Please please help!!

Thanks in advance
  2. Females are usually required to wear a dress or skirt with blouse (skirt at or below the knee).
  3. Bells. without giving too much away, what type of regiment is it, what rank is your b/f and is it an evening or daytime "do" (what's the event called?).
  4. Subsunk

Subsunk War Hero Book Reviewer

A nice summery dress, below the knee as FSJ says, with some floral patterns going on here and there with a respectable cardigan type thing over the top - if you have a female point of contact with the regiment, it is better to confirm this with them.

I'd lend you one of mine but I'm offshore for the next couple of weeks.
  5. Bells, cotton maxi frocks are on trend at the moment, can be dressed up or down with a silk wrap thingy or a jeans-style jacket, heels or flat sandals depending on day or evening.

Don't know if this helps, but then sensible answers are hard to come by in this place ;-)

Enjoy the do !!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I have no idea what you said there.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Frankly, I'd be worried if you did.

It's a girl thing :)
    • Like Like x 3
  8. It had the word "Trend" in there so I imagine it was something to do with facecock, but I'm just guessing.
  9. Bells and Whistles - post#9 is the clue: dress for where you're going. If it's a squadron smoker it'll be a lot less formal than the Officers' Mess Summer Ball- which in itself is raucous hoolie in comparison to the starched shirt pavane that is the WOs' and Sgts' Mess summer extravaganza.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Find out if the dress code is cocktail length (to knee) or evening (full length) and whether you will need to cover your shoulders (take a wrap or shrug just in case). If there is an invitation card there should be some clues. If you will be dancing then don't wear sth too tight. Remember not to carry liquids in your hand luggage (toiletries and liquid foundation or perfume) if over the regulation limit.

Pack some Nurofen for the morning after :-D
  11. Clarify. Waist or hem?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. If its anything like our Squadron Do's were, a wet suit wouldn't be out of place.
    • Like Like x 5
  13. If in doubt, wear a plain black burka and sandals. Suitable for both formal and informal occasions.

Remember to take a straw so that you can sip your drink - cream-based liqueurs will leave embarrassing stains around the mouth area otherwise.
  14. Thank you everyone!

My bf is a corporal so I wouldn't have thought it will be very stuffy. Up til now I have avoided family days and all the rest of it so I don't know what to expect.

Don't judge me please but I don't think I own skirts that go below the knee!! I'm quite short. I think they make me look shorter. I'm so nervous now aaaah!

Bf on exercise with crap phone signal. Will have to press him for more details. I think he thinks I will just have something suitable already in wardrobe. This is not the case.

Thanks again all xx

p.s. Burka comment made me literally "laugh out loud".
  15. Don't be nervous. Look forward to his company and the chance to fly off somewhere different!

Why don't you look for one of the pretty floral maxi dresses that have been about this summer? As Lumpy 2 and Fair Maid have said, you can make that more or less formal according to the occasion, you will have it for another 'full-length' outing and it won't contravene your principles of always-above-the-knee?

Have a great time and tell us about it when you get back!
    • Like Like x 2