What to see in Ottawa?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Charm_City, Feb 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Folks,

I'm visiting Ottawa at the end of March - basically fly in one day, give a lecture the following morning, fly out the day after that. I'll be fitting in a visit to the Canadian War Museum, which I remember as being very good from my single previous visit about 20 years ago.

Is there anything else in central Ottawa that is good for military history???

Thanks in advance

2. Plenty mind I haven't been there in a year now.

I'm presuming the strippers in Bytown or across the river in Quebec count as military history right? 8)

Seriously the Canadian War Museum is not the same one you will remember from 20 years ago. The new one, at the other end of town BTW is 4-5 times larger and will easily occupy a day to do it justice. Nearest pub to it if time remains is the Black Bear that's aside from cute kilt wearing waitressess, and good selection of single malts is also the seond home to a few serving and retired military types.
  3. The war museum remains fantastic, and it's so big that you could probably spend most or all of a day there. I can also recommend the main Canada historic museum (apologies, exact name eludes me, but it's the one just over the bridge) - not specifically military, but still worth a visit.
  4. The museum of civilisation in Hull quebec -just across the river is one of the best museums in the world.
  5. The museum of civilisation in Hull quebec -just across the river is one of the best museums in the world.
  6. ... think they would like a cute kilt wearing Scotsman ? the waitresses I mean, not the military types.

7. I would also recommend a trip across the river to the Costco in Gatineau, where you can buy an Octagon of Coors Light. 55 cars of beer in an octagonal crate, for only $50!!! Cheaper than water!

But on a serious note, I live 2 hours away from Ottawa and honestly cannot think of what to recommend to you! Only ever go there for the shopping, and as you are there for such a short time I can't recommend the things I do know about, mainly boating, fishing and camping on the ottawa river, outside of ottawa.
  8. Well worth spending 30 mins or so taking in the detail on the Canadian War Memorial (sculptured in UK, by the way)

Obviously too distant to be on your itinerary but for anyone with more time, the two places I'd recommend of millitary interest, in addition to the forementioned gem of a museum, are the preserved home of John McCrae ('In Flanders Fields' ) in Guelph, and the Plains of Abraham in Quebec
  9. It's not in central Ottawa, but the National Aviation Museum in Rockliffe is worth a visit if you can manage it, and if you can manage a ride from someone, the Diefenbunker in Carp is a Cold War museum, and it's worth it too.
  10. All,

thanks for the info. I don't think my audience will too impressed if I appear on stage accompanied by 55 cans of Coors Light and Miss Fifi La Trollope, no matter how 'exotic' her dancing. So museums it is - safer as my age anyway.

11. deleted multiple post