What to look for when buying a flat screen TV

Top retail tip, find one of the of Tesco's with no security and a fire exit straight onto the carpark.
Arrange with your errr "agent" for him to exit at fire exit where you will be parked with the rear door open and obscured/false plates, car pointed to car park exit.
Bonus points if you drive off after TV loaded and before your junki....errr agent gets in the car.
Maximum points for running over his foot.

It’s worth looking at one with a ‘magic remote’ as it doesn’t need to be pointed at the tv to work. Mines LG and a little pointer appears on screen so you can ‘wave’ the remote at where you want to point it and click. Loads easier than e.g trying to type a password etc. on an on screen keypad or via the remote number pad. Not a dealbreaker, but I’d get one if it was available on one equally speccced and priced tv and not the other when faced with a decision

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Pick the largest TV you think would look great and then buy the next size up, you won't regret it.
That’s the one mistake I made. They are so much smaller now and even though the new tv has a bigger screen than the old one it is a damn sight smaller so yes you are right I could have got a bigger one.

The Mrs has always said she wanted a bigger one but she wasn’t refering to the telly!:slow:

It’s worth looking at one with a ‘magic remote’ as it doesn’t need to be pointed at the tv to work. Mines LG and a little pointer appears on screen so you can ‘wave’ the remote at where you want to point it and click. Loads easier than e.g trying to type a password etc. on an on screen keypad or via the remote number pad. Not a dealbreaker, but I’d get one if it was available on one equally speccced and priced tv and not the other when faced with a decision
I have the LG TV remote app on my phone.
Lots of fun tormenting the wife turning the TV over, adjusting volume whilst sat upstairs.
2 years and she still hasn't caught on.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
+1 for richer sounds - I've spent ££££ in there over the years. always good service and keen prices, and their TV guarantee is 6 years as standard.

however saying that, provided you do your research first no reason why you shouldn't look elsewhere. my current one came from Ebuyer - a Seiki 43" jobby - £220 delivered. usb, 3 hdmi, scart, and a headphone out so it connects straight into the stereo. tesco's Technika brand are good value - I bought one from there in 2007 that was still in perfect nick when I passed it on in 2015.

one thing I would consider now is what (if any) legacy devices you have - none of the 4k screens seem to have a scart input, just composite. (I personally still want a scart for my PS1.)

Top retail tip, find one of the of Tesco's with no security and a fire exit straight onto the carpark.
Arrange with your errr "agent" for him to exit at fire exit where you will be parked with the rear door open and obscured/false plates, car pointed to car park exit.
Bonus points if you drive off after TV loaded and before your junki....errr agent gets in the car.
Maximum points for running over his foot.
This would make a very good RPG video game.

'Grand Theft Tesco' :rofl:

I can see the use in that. Would that be done via wifi or an ethernet connection? Or could it be either?
As others have said, HDMI is what I use and also my virgin box. I have an ethernet cable comming down the chimney (long story) from the loft. I am now sitting in my armchair with a solar powered wifi keyboard and mouse (computer is in the place that the fire used to be) with the ability to switch from computer to TV via remote. This can be useful when watching a programme and you get a question from the audience that must be answered "NOW"! Pause TV switch to internet, do search, give answer, return to TV and unpause.

JNM

War Hero
I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I still own a perfectly serviceable old school CRT television set (it is a colour one, though!)

I suppose that I should drag myself into the 21st century and invest in a flat screen jobby.

I'm not looking for something with a screen the size of a small planet, a massive integrated sound system or something that costs £000s.

I'm not into gadgetry merely for the sake of having it, but what kind of specs (connectivity, wifi capability, usb, integral extras etc.) should I be looking at as a minimum?
CRTs are great for old stuff like games consoles so I’d keep that rather than chucking it

4K is a nice plus, HDR too. Most come with USB and a decent amount are Smart TVs. Look for HDMI 2.0b because that’s the better standard over 2.0a

That’s the one mistake I made. They are so much smaller now and even though the new tv has a bigger screen than the old one it is a damn sight smaller so yes you are right I could have got a bigger one.

The Mrs has always said she wanted a bigger one but she wasn’t refering to the telly!:slow:
I too buckled under the wife's pressure, it's too big, that's too big, so is that one, and those were only 32"flats. I wanted a 50" but I went out by myself and picked up a 42" with a nice TV cabinet to match. "OOOOOH, that's waaay to big, why did you buy that?" Using a portable crane- ME - I removed the old cabinet and the 1 tonne 28" monster TV, built the new cabinet and placed the new TV on top and connected the equipment. I put a Blue Ray movie on..... what a difference in quality... just 90 minutes later the wife says "I see what you mean now, we should have got a bigger one!" The bruises on my forehead took ages to heal.

Thanks to all who have given advice and to any who may yet offer it. I have stuff now to mull over and there is no tear-arseing hurry, so further research is probably the name of the game.

There is a Richer Sounds not that far from me, so I will probably pay them a visit.

Cheers.

Putting a USB stick into most modern tellys allows it to record

If your tight like me, a "Youview box" is cheap way to watch one program & record another, you can pick them up cheap on ebay as BT ect give away to subscribers

If you have a few email addresses, multipal netflix trials are possible

One more for Richer sounds. You can save a lot of cash with them as they sell mostly last year's models rather than the latest whizzbang thing. They also give you a 6 year warranty with their tellies.

I usually research my next TV by choosing a size and then heading to AVForums for a review of the best in that size then adjust according to budget.
They are raging TV nerds and go in to how dark blacks are and other visual quality differences.
Ignore the nerd techy talk and just read up on the conclusion, they know their stuff IMO.

Geeks

Up to now, I've used an older Sony flat screen connected to a spare laptop, but like the OP I'm going to be going for a smart TV next. Can you install an app if it isn't preloaded?

Up to now, I've used an older Sony flat screen connected to a spare laptop, but like the OP I'm going to be going for a smart TV next. Can you install an app if it isn't preloaded?

It depends on whether the app is on the TV manufacturer's app store. They each have their own.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I can see the use in that. Would that be done via wifi or an ethernet connection? Or could it be either?
You crazy, mad, old fashioned bastard you. Ethernet FFS, it's 2019! :D

What would you want to connect it to the Tv for? Chromecast will take care of your streaming needs via WiFi - if the TV has it built in, excellent, if not, you'll need a Chromecast dongle that goes in an HDMI slot on the telly to let you cast your laptop screen.

If it's for gaming such as Steam, get their Steam box on the summer sale - it plugs in to the telly and acts like Chromecast but for gaming

Samsung or LG

Had a Panasonic for about 3 hours and it went straight back as it was crap. Swapped it for a Samsung.

We have ours plugged in to the Ethernet via one of these plug thingies. (Our house has very solid walls so wifi is poor).

Samsung has sufficient apps to keep SWMBO & Junior 2 happy. Mostly iplayer etc plus a basic Netflix subscription.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is it just me or do modern TVs all have dog shit sound?

I’m 99% sure there is a conspiracy to make you buy a soundbar.

I’ve got an LG in my flat that was supposedly a top of the range one.

Every time I watch a film I spend the whole movie fiddling with the volume because it’s too quiet during the dialogue and then ear splittingly loud in other parts.

I have a new 43” LG in my kitchen and one as a monitor for my gaming PC.
They have a great apps gui and the remote also has Netflix & Amazon buttons to instantly go to the apps, which is quite handy.