What to look for when buying a flat screen TV

I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I still own a perfectly serviceable old school CRT television set (it is a colour one, though!)

I suppose that I should drag myself into the 21st century and invest in a flat screen jobby.

I'm not looking for something with a screen the size of a small planet, a massive integrated sound system or something that costs £000s.

I'm not into gadgetry merely for the sake of having it, but what kind of specs (connectivity, wifi capability, usb, integral extras etc.) should I be looking at as a minimum?

that it hasn't been looted during a 'peaceful protest'

or if it has, that the price reflects this

Personally, I'd find out how many smart TV apps it has and pick the one with the most.

At present, there's no common standard for catch-up/on-demand television, and as people get more and more used to using those services the lack of them on a TV is going to become annoying.

Built in freeview would save you an extra box and cost if you ever change your mind about subscriptions but there's plenty of extra channels for nothing. Anything good being on them is another thing mind.

It's flat?

I changed to the more modern ones as I could no longer read the writing on the screen. If you have to move your head to see both sides then your TV is too big or the room too small. Having the ability to connect your computer to the TV is very useful.

I presume you have at least half decent broadband? If not, not a lot of point getting a smart TV, as streaming anything will be painful!

If you have a download speed of at least 2-4mbps, preferably much more - then go with your budget.

LG do decent smart TV's cheaply, go to a local PC world to get a first had look, find a model you like - then look online to find it cheaper!

MB

stanlystud

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I still own a perfectly serviceable old school CRT television set (it is a colour one, though!)

I suppose that I should drag myself into the 21st century and invest in a flat screen jobby.

I'm not looking for something with a screen the size of a small planet, a massive integrated sound system or something that costs £000s.

I'm not into gadgetry merely for the sake of having it, but what kind of specs (connectivity, wifi capability, usb, integral extras etc.) should I be looking at as a minimum?
just make sure it´s flat mate. Thank me later

I’ve got a Samsung 32” smart tv circa £250, does everything I need. All the terrestrial catch up and should you ever want then has apps for Amazon, Netflix and Now TV already built in. 2 x HDMI inputs which is ample for me and also USB input for those items that I didn’t bit torrent.

Almost all of them are Smart TV's these days (don't buy one that isn't) and they all come with extra USB and HDMI Ports. Depending on what you intend to hook up to the TV one thing to look for is where is the access to these ports are, for example, my TV has the extra ports on the side and are easily accessible, whereas with my daughters TV they are on the back which is not much good when it's flat against the wall.

Plug ins include, sound system or a sound bar, game player, Android box, USB stick for your own music, videos. Extras include, Fiber optic cable (sound system), HDMI cords or USB cords (Laptop, game players, android box).

Pick the largest TV you think would look great and then buy the next size up, you won't regret it.

I presume you have at least half decent broadband? If not, not a lot of point getting a smart TV, as streaming anything will be painful!

If you have a download speed of at least 2-4mbps, preferably much more - then go with your budget.

LG do decent smart TV's cheaply, go to a local PC world to get a first had look, find a model you like - then look online to find it cheaper!

MB
I get about 13.5 mbps, so that looks to be quite comfortably in the zone.

I can see the use in that. Would that be done via wifi or an ethernet connection? Or could it be either?
HDMI cord works great for mine, I purchased (nicked from work) a 12' cable so I can still sit on my ass and use the keyboard.

@stanlystud has a point, for Internet use if I am getting some severe buffering I may run the Ethernet cable from the router to the laptop, HDMI laptop to the TV.

What to look for when buying a TV?
Someone like this
IMG_20190222_165723~01~01.jpg

Offer him a quarter of the retail price, maybe a third of he's a bit more sober.
Arrange a meet up nearby and wait.
If he's really twitchy lower the initial offer.

Go to Richer Sounds, good shop, good knowledge and good products.
Been using them since the London Bridge shop opened in the 80's?

I should mention that I do not currently have a subscription contract and do not really plan to have one.
It's not really the subscription ones that are the issues (the big ones will be standard on pretty much any smart TV) but the free ones can be more difficult.

For example I only have iPlayer on mine - no ITV, C4, C5, Dave, etc.