What to expect from TA phase 1 training?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Dan-the-man!, Aug 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I hope I have posted this in the right place. Recently passed ADSC with a high B and just wondering what I am to expect, physical wise especially, once in basic training. I was shown a presentation from the physical training staff but this was specific to the regular army. Obviously what they do over 14 weeks cannot be achieved over 6 weekends and a 2 week camp at Pirbright. So I was simply wondering- how many sit ups and press ups are we expected to be able to do, how long distance runs etc? I know somebody will say " don't train for the minimum". I don't intend to, and I'm not here to be a cheeky cnut either but I could do with knowing what the minimum is to be able to beat it.

Kind Regards

Dan :)

2. It's quite easy really, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you do some phys in your spare time.

Edited to add:- WRT 'combat fitness' (load carrying 'tabbing' etc) it is so progressive it hardly seems worth bothering with. Prepare to be under-whelmed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Furthest you'll run is 4 miles, likewise TAB in phase one. May go up to 6/8 miles on your bravo/CIC. As mentioned, nothing to get your nickers in a twist over.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 2
  4. I would not be too concerned about the phys standards, on the ‘risk reduction run’ at the start of my phase 1 around 10% of the entrants were able to achieve a PFA pass. With the introduction of Crapita things may have changed, but I doubt it.

Be prepared to be shocked at the level of stupidly and occasionally criminality shown by your fellow recruits. Best advice I got was to bring a good book, ear plugs for the inevitable snorers and lots of padlocks.

5. A great deal of CBRN drills if things continue to go down the pan.

The intensity of the weekends means you have a lot of activities crammed in to them. The improvements in your fitness is not the responsibility of the DS. It is entirely your responsibility to improve your phys in the intervening fortnights, and confirm that improvement in the military tests. It's easy for anyone with a grain of resilience, so don't panic about it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cheers for the advice gents, much appreciated :)

7. What fitness tests are there between start of phase 1 and end of CIC ?

8. In my phase one the actual fitness tests were; risk reduction run for both phase 1 and CIC (under 13 mins) 4 & 6 mile TAB (phase one) and 6 mile CFT with a 2 mile best effort at CIC. Be aware that the fitness tests aren't the only things you get assessed on, you may be able to smash a CFT, but if your admin (both in the block and the field) is shit they will fail you on that.
    Biggest tip, don't mong it and don't be jack, the DS will ALWAYS be watching you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Minimum standards are published. I asked similar recently because I was concerned - recalling regular basic, that the tests would be the least of my worries.

My Saturday morning instructor is serving Parachute Regiment, so I asked him if he thought I was fit enough to start. The answer - 'Mate, I've got crows who aren't as fit as you'

That's from only running a couple of miles most days and working out 3 times a week, so it seems starting standards are pretty wretched, really.

10. Well I can run about 3 miles comfortably and do about 30 press ups and 55 sit ups so if I can work from this I suppose I don't have too much to worry about. Will also keep a check on my admin, cheers for the advice again all :)

11. Most Illuminating.

12. Back OT - as has been mentioned, the fitness is progressive and you will NEED to put in work in our own time.

People are backsquadded for failing the physical side of things, so don't pay it lip service. Ask the PTIs at the ATU or your own unit for a programme; most muscle busters are gagging to get involved in this kind of stuff.

13. Ask the PTI.. He/she will have a chart which tells you what you need.. It all depends on age after basic training

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)