What to eat?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BennnY, Feb 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently at the gym 3-4 times a week pushing myself to my absolute limit. Burning in the region of 500-700 calories everytime (not sure if that is high or low) anyway when I finish I am absolutely drained.

I don't mean the type of exhaustion where you need 30 minutes to re-coup, I'm talking about when I get home from the gym I am absolutely drained. I feel like I need to jump into bed and get some sleep.

I've never worked my body so hard, but it feels good and I want to continue.

The problem I'm having, I think, is my food.

I don't really know what I should and should not be eating before and after I work out/rest of the day.

I'm doing about 30 mins cardio and anywhere between 30-50 mins weight training. But the weights have rests inbetween obviously. The cardio doesn't.

I'm trying to lose weight rather than put on bulk, so I don't want high protein etc.

What would you say I should eat before/after my workout?

Cheers.

2. I find that just a balanced healthy diet with a couple of bananas an hour before a phys session and some protein after like a tuna based snack does the trick for me.

3. Eat lots of fruit. When you have a main meal have a piece of decent meat and loads of veg. Eat lots of carbs as well, sounds like you're running out of energy because you may not be putting enough carbs in mate.

4. A normal healthy diet, basically - more fruit/veg limited carbohydrates/fat etc, as per not some odd, faddy body builder/grow yer own tits diet. If you are still concerned over your weight, reduce your portion size. If fuel in is greater than fuel used (and fuel = sugars/starches/fats), your body stores it as fat.

5. Eat loads of carbs as stated up above but instead of eating 3 big meals a day eat five smaller ones. Go for slow energy release foods like pasta potatos.

On the subject of bananas as wedgy suggests have a couple about an hour before you train but make sure they ripe ones. Green bananas give you complex carbs which while give you more energy in the long run they are harder for your body to break down. Ripe bananas have more sugar in them and give you a shorter term fix of carbs but are easier for your body to digest.

6. Some sound advice here, especially the first bit promoting a healthy/balanced diet. However, do note that the crude but effective equation of less in/more out = weight loss does depend to some extent on the type of food consumed (note that of the food consumed for your body to process, not all of it can be used as fuel. Indeed, depending on diet habit, most of it can easily be 'empty calories' which cannot be burnt easily and at best are simply excreted (good for moral but bad for the wallet) or at worst are stored as lard).

Here's some more unscientific detail from the top of my head:

1. When aerobic (sustainable workload) your body processes/burns approx 2/3 fat and 1/3 carbs as fuel for activity (therefore, for most training, fat constitutes the majority of quality fuel).
    2. When anerobic (high intensity, unsustainable workload) your body burns approx 1/3 fat and 2/3 carbs (opposite of rule 1, ie, want to burn fat? - run slower for longer).
    3. Unprocessed fat and carbs are stored as fat (this is the basis of the less in/more out rule of weight loss as suggested above).
    4. Unprocessed protein is excreted and not stored in any significant quantity (this rule is basis of the 'Atkins' low carb/high protein diet).
    5. The amount of weight it is possible or healthy (these are different things) to lose in a given period of time is directly proportunate to body weight (ie the fatter you are, the more/quicker you can lose before it messes with your mind and physiology).

This is not a recommendation but, my personal view on weight loss is that it should be conducted in isolation from other training (ie, concentrate on losing weight first, then train for athletic performance). In fact, the most effective way I have found of losing weight in a short period, is to stop training all together and concentrate on a very low calory intake.

7. I had the same problem when i started going to the gym. Feeling sick/light headed after doing a run etc.. So i just experimented what i need before and after the gym. Which i've pretty much got it down now. Before i go about an hour before i have Rice Krispes and 2 slices of toasts and when i'm driving to the gym i have a Lucozade tablet do my run have half a tablet to boost my energy up for the weights etc.. then after i have a salad with diced chicken and pasta. I get tired around 8pm but i'm guessing thats just where i my body is tired and wants to rest.