What to eat before the 1.5mile run?

I have been given my date for my run, the 19th of may.

I can do this run in around 10:30 but seem to be improving by 10 seconds each time i do it.

Normaly eat a bowl of cheerios, banana and yoghurt for breakfast and drink orange juice.
Can anyone recomend a better breakfast that may help me shave a few more seconds off my time?

Would also welcome any other tips.

Bacon, eggs, chips, beef, chicken, fish and beans. Strongbow, cheese, yogurt, 4 pints of milk, caviour if you get it' if not a cod roll.
Actually pal i ate cereal only. Apples at night. splash colsd water on your face in the morning and it will soak it up like a sponge!!
It gets pretty dry.......
GOOD LUCK

The JOker!

How long before the run do you eat? Pre-exercise feeding should not be a huge factor on a 10 min effort, that said you can do some things to improve this small factor. Your overall diet is a much bigger factor, as is post exercise feeding. Both will allow you to recover much more effectively if dialed in correctly.

PM me if you want more specific advice.

mshortm said:
I have been given my date for my run, the 19th of may.

I can do this run in around 10:30 but seem to be improving by 10 seconds each time i do it.

Normaly eat a bowl of cheerios, banana and yoghurt for breakfast and drink orange juice.
Can anyone recomend a better breakfast that may help me shave a few more seconds off my time?

Would also welcome any other tips.
Bone question...next?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I suggest a couple of mouthfuls of your own excement. Seriously! My neigbours Grehound often eats his own poo, and he can run like a ...

well...

Greyhound...

In the good old days of BFT's wearing boots and 5AB Bde, I would normally eat a chilli kebab or a Tony's fish supper, preceeded by 10 pints of lager and 20 B&H.

Chances were, the kebab and ale would make an apperance on the warm up but I could still do it under 9 minutes.

Trainer wearing hermos the fucking lot of you.

Show me your sweet, smooth, genitalia.

Badger_Heed said:
In the good old days of BFT's wearing boots and 5AB Bde, I would normally eat a chilli kebab or a Tony's fish supper, preceeded by 10 pints of lager and 20 B&H.

Chances were, the kebab and ale would make an apperance on the warm up but I could still do it under 9 minutes.

Show me your f*cked ankles/knees/hips..edit as req! :wink:

datumhead said:
Badger_Heed said:

Show me your f*cked ankles/knees/hips..edit as req! :wink:
I was / am of the very same ilk. My joints are fine because I regularly do phys and am therefore a fit, virile harbinger of death.

The only injury I sustained from 5AB was broken knuckles from giving obese craphats a dose of instant Nightnurse. :D

since starting this topic i have now managed to reach sub 10 minutes, which i think is a good time for a lazy chav youth! one week left to train and the added pressure of the day im aiming for a 9:30 time which what i have heard from my friends in the reg's is a very good time for someone who hasnt started basic yet.

If you can't run a BFT in under 9:30 after drinking 15 pints the night before and spending all night fcuking some ugly tart you picked up, then you're sh1t, fcuk off and be a civvy.

Hope this helps

The best advice I can give is that it is not advisable to eat anything for at least 3 hours (preferably 4) before a PFT or any strenuous exercise. Food in your belly will just slow you down!

Just done selection myself, i take it thats what your talking about.

I went in with no training, a not so good diet and a serious week on the booze and i managed to do a 9:50 whilst holding a shit in (i knew i should of gone before the run)

Just dont have a heavy breakfast and drink plenty of water. Then establish who is the fastest group of runners in the run and stick to them like glue then after halfway run your heart out.

I was stressing far to much about selection but its a piece of piss compared to whats to come..and whats to come after that and after that.

bulldoze said:
The best advice I can give is that it is not advisable to eat anything for at least 3 hours (preferably 4) before a PFT or any strenuous exercise. Food in your belly will just slow you down!
3 or 4 hours? Are you having a laugh? You dont choose when you do the run - if its on the schedule for 30 mins after scoff then what?. Are you suggesting he misses a meal so he doesnt have a full stomach?

Fair enough, you dont want to run on a full gut but FFS its only a mile and a half - Its hardly the London marathon.

If your looking for a pre running energy boost, try a banana (ripe if possible). Also, make sure you drink plenty of water before any phys - regarless of how much you eat, your performance will suffer more through dehydration.

Good luck

no im not talking about selection, i have been told to do a 1.5 mile run on a day at chepstow. ITs only a day and have no other tests while im there, i wasnt expecting this and no one else i have spoken to has done it. Does any1 know why i may of been given this? I thought it may be because they dont think im fit enough but im not overweight and am in a fair shape.?