What to do?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by PaddyP91, Sep 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been thinking of joining the army for the last 6 months, u'm seventeen at the moment, my parents want me to go to uni, but i'm thinkin more of going straight to the army. Any ideas which one would be best?

I'm lookin at goin to sandhurt as well, would it be any good goin to uni if i'm thinkin of being an officer?

Another question. Whats the bet job dog trainer, light infantry or observation post assistant?

Thanks for any help
  2. I think you should go to Uni, get a PHD, then apply to join the Army as a Dog Trainer! It's the quickest way to the top!
  3. It is up to YOU and YOU alone. I personally was in the same position as you and decided to go to uni. I went for a year and hated it. I have now applied for the army and got to say I have never been so motivated to do something as much in my whole life.

The truth is no one can make that decision for you. However you could join the army and then do a degree whilst in the army? Getting a bit of both worlds there.
  4. Hmm... what is better a spoon or a pencil?
  5. You really need to see what grades Sandhurst requires for entry and compare against what you have and what you are likely to get. Then you need to understand the difference between commissioned and non-commissioned entry. I don't think you really 'get' it at the moment.

I'd always advise getting a degree if you can - it doesn't suit everyone, but it is a good thing to have if you can do it.
  6. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Uni v Army ? Your call. I joined at 18, never regretted it and ended up getting a Masters degree later on in life, whilst still serving.

The best job ? If you join as an officer, no dog training allowed - unless you are a vet ! LI - your call - I am not infantry but I've met some good blokes in the LI, etc etc. You need to think about what you would enjoy doing and then go with a gut call. If it does not work out, transferring to another cap badge is possible.

If you are undecided between joining as a Pte or as an officer, go to Uni, join the UOTC and see how you feel after 3 years on the lash, knobbing hottie's who have been unleashed from home/all girl's borading schools...

Uni v Army, well you can see Uni has its merits ! Mind you, the Uni of Life (Army) has done many of us proud.
  7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Without wishing to crush your spirit, I think you need to go away and have a good, long hard think about your questions. When you ask 'what or which is best' it strikes me that you simply have not reached that point where you can objectively weigh up different courses of action against each other. If you genuinely think that someone will be able to tell you which is 'best' on several key points including three wildly different job choices on a website, you are somewhat naive. Frankly, I've met and interviewed potential officers who, at the age of 17, have been markedly more coherent and clearer thinking than you appear to be.
  8. Burn.

It's a personal decision, that nobody can really help you with. How do you feel about going to university? If you definitely don't want to go, don't let anyone else make your decision for you. I'm not. You might be advised to go to university, to get some life experience or maturity.
  9. Paddy,

Welcome to the site. You aren't the first person to ask those questions, so use the "search" button and read all the threads.

What qualifications do you have, what are your interests and where do you see yourself in 5 year's time?

10. I just finished uni in June and i'm now partway through the process of applying. I really enjoyed my time at uni for the first 2 years but i started to get fed up towards the end of the 2nd year because of all the written work. I recomend it but its not everyones cup of tea. I guess i could say as much as i loved it there were also times when i hated it.
  11. Paddy, the job choices you have put are not available to Officers as you have put them - presumably you have looked at the jobs available to you as a soldier AND are interested in becoming an officer.

there is loads of material in here about becoming an Officer and degrees, but as CPunk points out, you seem to have some issues in constructing sentences - it is very 15 years old text speak and wouldn't immediately mark you down to be a good officer candidate.

If the Army is for you, but you aren't sure of Soldier or Officer that is one question. Answer that and then look at jobs. Going to Uni or not is a separate question, which only you can answer - do you want to study for 3 more years or not?

I went to Uni, loved it and decided on the Army later on (as in during Uni, rather than before). If you choose to go to Uni, you have 3 more years to decide on Army things and can do TA or OTC while there.
  12. I think perhaps now that the UCAS university applications process is getting into full swing, the prospect of uni has become a lot clearer, and perhaps less attractive, to a lot of people.

I find myself in exactly the same postition as Paddy, and I am very seriously considering signing up to the armed forces.

The RAF looks good, but the minimum contract length of six years is something of a downer- I get the feeling it's hard to join without making a full career of it.

On the other hand, the army looks much more like an agreeable lifestyle. Of course I don't believe the official gumph on the website, but I think reading around this forum has given me a lot of useful information.

I'm also looking at going for officer, and hopefully I should be able to pass the board (A levels predicted 4 As in Math, F Math, Physics, Chem). My fitness is nowhere near yet but I'm working on it (did the 1.5mile in 11:34 yesterday).

Do you guys think being so young is a disadvantage? And would it be worth perhaps trying uni, but being ready to drop out after maybe one year? Any relevant experiences much appreciated.

One other question- what days + times are the careers offices open? I can't seem to find that anywhere on the website.
  13. Good post.
  14. Wouldnt that depend on the task at hand, id personally love to see someone try and eat custard with a pencil... or to watch the perplexed look of someone trying to jot down some notes with a spoon

15. Thanks Smudge, that had me laughing out loud.

Paddy old son, I am not laughing at you but at what Smudge wrote.

There is plenty of good advice on here for you Join up, you are the

sort of bloke the Army will love.