Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do?

TELBOI

Crow
I'm a Sgt VM in the REME. I have done 10 years but as I'm not going down the Artificer route I have been told I can't pick up another promotion until my 16 year point. I want to remain in the Army but don't want to mark time for 6 years. Anybody been in this situation before? Transferred? Re trade?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
I'm a Sgt VM in the REME. I have done 10 years but as I'm not going down the Artificer route I have been told I can't pick up another promotion until my 16 year point. I want to remain in the Army but don't want to mark time for 6 years. Anybody been in this situation before? Transferred? Re trade?
@spaz @verticalgyro

All yours.

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT

Anything reason why you're not going down the Tiffy route?

Is this a wider wanting a change of career plan or do you enjoy engineering but think Tiffy is the wrong choice for you?

You don't have to be a tiffy, just don't be a tiffy loathing twat because you didn't do/pass the board /course
but be prepared to pick up the reins when he is away furthering his career( after all thats what he went on his course for) and don't bleat because you aren't getting the same pay
If you got to Sgt at the 10 year point you are moving pretty fast....there are a lot of non tiffs waiting for promotion so you probably wont get there at the 16 year point anyway....what is the average time for a sgt to get picked up these days...in the good old bad old days it was usually in the last couple of years service

you could always sack it and get a job with Kwik-fit or the AA but you wont get sports afternoons and the pay out here is shite, unless you are apprenticed and trained by one of the big companies like VW or BMW....then you will be paid about the same as you are being paid now mate of mine is the supervisor in a very busy garage,shares the work with the boss and covers the front office if the assistant manager is away...he works 0830 till 5.45 daily lunch when he can fit it in (usually on the go) one or two nights overtime 0830 till 1 on Saturday for just over £22k as I said , wages are shite only people who were paying well were in the oil industry and the arse has fallen out of that recently

Did I just stick up for Tiffys there ....must be getting soft with old age.... 20 days till I retire

TELBOI

Crow
You don't have to be a tiffy, just don't be a tiffy loathing twat because you didn't do/pass the board /course
but be prepared to pick up the reins when he is away furthering his career( after all thats what he went on his course for) and don't bleat because you aren't getting the same pay
If you got to Sgt at the 10 year point you are moving pretty fast....there are a lot of non tiffs waiting for promotion so you probably wont get there at the 16 year point anyway....what is the average time for a sgt to get picked up these days...in the good old bad old days it was usually in the last couple of years service

you could always sack it and get a job with Kwik-fit or the AA but you wont get sports afternoons and the pay out here is shite, unless you are apprenticed and trained by one of the big companies like VW or BMW....then you will be paid about the same as you are being paid now mate of mine is the supervisor in a very busy garage,shares the work with the boss and covers the front office if the assistant manager is away...he works 0830 till 5.45 daily lunch when he can fit it in (usually on the go) one or two nights overtime 0830 till 1 on Saturday for just over £22k as I said , wages are shite only people who were paying well were in the oil industry and the arse has fallen out of that recently

Did I just stick up for Tiffys there ....must be getting soft with old age.... 20 days till I retire

Fantastic. Thanks for your reply. Your input was great. I have nothing against tiffys. I have past my PAAB but choosing not to go down that route. Guess you didn't promote well. Shame

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
Fantastic. Thanks for your reply. Your input was great. I have nothing against tiffys. I have past my PAAB but choosing not to go down that route. Guess you didn't promote well. Shame

I chose not to go Tiffy too, I'm with you brother, but can you answer my questions?

Are you tired of engineering and want a career change or is it just Tiff you don't fancy?

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
Can you please explain the difference of the artificer route please?

Artificers do a selection then a fairly tough course in order to turn Class One tradesmen into Engineering managers and leaders. They generally do this between 8-15 years service. They gain SSgt on completion of the course.

Artisans soldier on at the coalface and if they show ability some gain SSgt rank but not before 15 years service. A tiny handful of the most well endowed may promote further.

Artisan is not a route I would recommend, in addition to having the ability, you need the opportunities to showcase them in order to get the SJARs. Not all Units can give them nor choose to give them as the command and leadership opportunities are usually given to Artificers. Rightly so.

May I suggest a retrade and earning a snazzy little badge (see avatar) for your left arm.

OK you have to suffer the indignity of being RLC, but everything has its price.

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
I'm not tired of engineering. I just can't see myself chained to a desk on my computer. Re writing the EMS or UECD.

Fair enough. All I will say is that if your perception of Artificers is being chained to a desk, then the Tiffs you've worked for have been doing it wrong. That's not to say that compliance with policy or writing it isn't part of the job, but it needn't be onerous.

From someone who did the Artisan route, I understand your dilemma, if I had my time again I would like to have chosen Tiff. That's life though, I'm not bitter.

I've also often thought there are easier routes for intelligent motivated guys to promote outside of the REME, you just need to look at some of the clowns we support.

If you do enjoy engineering still, I would urge you to have a rethink ref Tiffy. If you want a no obligation grown up chat with someone who is undoubtedly outside your CoC, let me know I'll happily give you half hour of my time.

TELBOI

Crow
May I suggest a retrade and earning a snazzy little badge (see avatar) for your left arm.

OK you have to suffer the indignity of being RLC, but everything has its price.

Re trade to AT. I have thought about that. I will have to do some digging and find out the ins and outs of the job first.

TELBOI

Crow
Fair enough. All I will say is that if your perception of Artificers is being chained to a desk, then the Tiffs you've worked for have been doing it wrong. That's not to say that compliance with policy or writing it isn't part of the job, but it needn't be onerous.

From someone who did the Artisan route, I understand your dilemma, if I had my time again I would like to have chosen Tiff. That's life though, I'm not bitter.

I've also often thought there are easier routes for intelligent motivated guys to promote outside of the REME, you just need to look at some of the clowns we support.

If you do enjoy engineering still, I would urge you to have a rethink ref Tiffy. If you want a no obligation grown up chat with someone who is undoubtedly outside your CoC, let me know I'll happily give you half hour of my time.

Thanks very much mate

The way I see it you have a few options.

1. Stick with it. Exploit the fact you aren't promotable for the time being, do courses that suit you and get some money out of your ELC. In tree years or so, get back in driving the shop floor and looking for an Artisan SSgt promotion.

2. Transfer. Only you can decide which trade or capbadge suits you. Remember that AGC commission from Sgt - not a bad option but think about how long you will have to do before you are pensionable.

3. Exploit the MTI route. Pick up some SERE, C-IED and Range quals. Get an MTI post in phase one or two.

You say you don't want to be sat behind a computer, fair enough but as a Sgt you are pretty soon going to pick up Pl Admin Sgt and JAMES jobs doing exactly that if you aren't doing so already.
I saw Tiffy course as a means to an end. It meant I was still on the ladder and being churned rather than having to flog myself for reward.
I am glad I did it. I had two very different Tiffy posts, a great WO2 post (in a training unit) and 4 awesome ASM jobs. It's not always about writing the EMS as you say as you can shape what you do at that level...
Happy to offer more advice if you want it.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Re trade to AT. I have thought about that. I will have to do some digging and find out the ins and outs of the job first.

Have a look and I'm here to help where I can. I'll caveat that by admitting I'm seven years out of trade.

TELBOI

Crow
The way I see it you have a few options.

1. Stick with it. Exploit the fact you aren't promotable for the time being, do courses that suit you and get some money out of your ELC. In tree years or so, get back in driving the shop floor and looking for an Artisan SSgt promotion.

2. Transfer. Only you can decide which trade or capbadge suits you. Remember that AGC commission from Sgt - not a bad option but think about how long you will have to do before you are pensionable.

3. Exploit the MTI route. Pick up some SERE, C-IED and Range quals. Get an MTI post in phase one or two.

You say you don't want to be sat behind a computer, fair enough but as a Sgt you are pretty soon going to pick up Pl Admin Sgt and JAMES jobs doing exactly that if you aren't doing so already.
I saw Tiffy course as a means to an end. It meant I was still on the ladder and being churned rather than having to flog myself for reward.
I am glad I did it. I had two very different Tiffy posts, a great WO2 post (in a training unit) and 4 awesome ASM jobs. It's not always about writing the EMS as you say as you can shape what you do at that level...
Happy to offer more advice if you want it.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Thanks. I will take your advice onboard

1. You don't have to be a tiffy, just don't be a tiffy loathing twat because you didn't do/pass the board /course
2. If you got to Sgt at the 10 year point you are moving pretty fast....there are a lot of non tiffs waiting for promotion so you probably wont get there at the 16 year point anyway....what is the average time for a sgt to get picked up these days...in the good old bad old days it was usually in the last couple of years service

3. you could always sack it and get a job with Kwik-fit or the AA but you wont get sports afternoons and the pay out here is shite, unless you are apprenticed and trained by one of the big companies like VW or BMW....then you will be paid about the same as you are being paid now mate of mine is the supervisor in a very busy garage,shares the work with the boss and covers the front office if the assistant manager is away...he works 0830 till 5.45 daily lunch when he can fit it in (usually on the go) one or two nights overtime 0830 till 1 on Saturday for just over £22k as I said , wages are shite only people who were paying well were in the oil industry and the arse has fallen out of that recently

4. Did I just stick up for Tiffys there ....must be getting soft with old age.... 20 days till I retire

1. Unfortunately not always easy to do because it's easier to blame someone else or "the system" I'd also point out that some of us, admittedly not many, wanted to further our own career to benefit others to protect them from the sh1te that we went through as young soldiers.
2. Very much agree, bit of a mover, or would have been considered one when I were a lad. ISTR it was at about the 18 year point but not sure what it is today.
3. I concur, very difficult to get similar wages at trade in civvy street and it takes quite some effort, and a good deal of luck, to find a job that does. Factoring in the phys and adventure trg opportunities and opportunities for career training I'd say it's pretty much impossible.
4. Yes you did and I hope you're ashamed of yourself :) I take it your lot are treating you to a pi55 up when you hang up your boots then? Who are they going to find to do the caretakers lawnmower and fix their cars once you've gone?

Last edited:

Latest Threads