what to do?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by paddi-8764, Mar 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've posted this in both fourms.

Chaps I recently attempted and failed my main board. Obviously I'm gutted, but im not going to let it get me down and I'm in the process of trying to figure out what to do with my six month delay.
    I havn't had a meeting with my ACA as of yet but I dont think its worth counting working over my weaknesses as i feel that's a given!
    At the minute I seem to have three options:

1.Join the ta
    2.Get a job
    3.Volunteer

Option 1 seems to carry the most benifits, get fit, get experience, get confident and get paid but would my papers clear in time? could i use the papers i submited for the aosb?

Option 2 is pretty self explanitory!

Option 3 I've made contact with the National trust for a stint of volunteer work and feel that this would benifit me the most in the long run with the AOSB second round.

This seems to be a pretty round about away of asking for advice, what did guys who failed 1st time round here do? any tips or ideas of what I should be doing with my time? Thanks in advance

2. Don't take this as a dig- it is intended as a constructive comment; your spelling is pretty bad- this is an area that you need to improve upon, otherwise you will come across as sloppy or unintelligent in any written exercise.

Don’t take a failure first time round to heart; plenty of people fail and still go on to be good officers- it’s not that you haven’t got what it takes, it’s more that you haven’t got what it takes at the moment. Whether it’s age, maturity, experience, etcetera, you will gain what they’re after if you know what it is that you lack.

You can request a detailed copy of your report, which will have a break-down of how you got on in various parts. Identify the areas that need attention and get some of the young officers in your unit, who should still have fresh memories of their boards, to give you advice and help.

Here is a direct quote from my report from Main Board, in relation to the Planex-
    ‘He only had a tenuous grasp of the process and had not penetrated the complexity of the problem. There was little evidence of logical thought and analysis which resulted in a weak plan’

They were quite right; my written answer as laughable. Despite this, I passed. If you are strong in other areas, they probably won’t fail you for one ‘grey area’.

If I were you, I’d join the TA, so as to keep abreast of things military and so you have people who are willing and able to help and advise. Having said that- if your report exposes that your shortcomings are of a nature that the Army cannot necessarily help you with, your time might be better spent doing something more relevant to the solutions, but that is for you to judge, obviously.

I did my Briefing about 14 months ago, and did Main Board about three weeks after that, so it is still fairly fresh and current in my mind. Any questions or advice you might want I’ll probably be able to help you with.

Good luck

YD

3. Probably not the place to ask but will anyway- how did you get to see your report? I seem to remember someone mentioning they have it at RMAS, and someone else mentioned that your sponsor gets a copy but I wasn't quite sure whether someone just had an informal chat with you about how you did or whether you have to formally request to see the report.

I'd quite like to see mine as I still don't really know where exactly I went wrong/right.

5. You could do all three of those but be prepared to have no spare time. Did you have any particular TA unit in mind?

6. TA won't be interested, as it's a clash of applications. (thats if your going to continue and go in 6 months to Main board).

I was crap at my first main board. Better at my second but still shyte. What's meant to be!

7. Write to the president of the board, requesting report. Apparently what's quoted up above is exactly whats on my report. Funny that. It does sound a bit generic. I suppose thats what happens for the crap people like me.

8. You could do all three of those but be prepared to have no spare time. Did you have any particular TA unit in mind?[/quote]

Im from NI so maybe the RI in Portadown. I'll make contact with a few and see what happens.

9. I failed my first attempt as well and requested the report from my sponsor. They were quite happy to supply it to me. I'm not sure if it's the full report, I don't think it is, but I have all the feedback I need from it.

Also, I have decided myself to join the TA as a tom and from the time I finish CIC in October to the time I hope to attempt my second main board, I will have been in the unit for 5 months (including xmas, which I shouldn't but I don't know how long the break period is).
    From other posters I have learnt you cannot join as a officer because of the time frame required, however as long as you are up front with the regiment you wish to join, you should be ok as it fosters the regular/TA one army priciple. This advice was given by The Duke.

I would remind the original poster. You only have one more chance, unless you're coming up to the cut off age, I wouldn't rush. 6 months passes very quickly (it will have been 6 months when I start RT training next month).

That said, I'm 26 now and 27 in February 2010, so time is running out for me.

That's what I'm doing mind and since I failed my first attempt it might go wrong, but its the COA I have gone with.

edit- paddi, did you by any chance do your briefing last year during the summer, say June/July?

10. There are only several ways of saying "this person is crap" and that is one of the posher versions!

Litotes

11. msr

msr LE

Not true. As long as you are open and honest with the TA unit you are planning to join., they will help you out.

This also allows you to do options 1+2.

msr

12. [/quote]edit- paddi, did you by any chance do your briefing last year during the summer, say June/July?[/quote]

I did my brief in November 2008. So you think that as long as I'm honest with the TA say I've failed my Main board and that I want to join for a bit to bost my chances second time round they will accomadate me? Perhaps I won't say it quite lke that when I make contact but I think you get the gist!

13. edit- paddi, did you by any chance do your briefing last year during the summer, say June/July?[/quote]

I did my brief in November 2008. So you think that as long as I'm honest with the TA say I've failed my Main board and that I want to join for a bit to boost my chances second time round they will accomadate me? Perhaps I won't say it quite lke that when I make contact but I think you get the gist![/quote]

You're not the fella I thought you were then :oops: .

For me, I was straight about my intentions from the get go. As you said, I didn't exactly word it like that, but they understood where I was coming from and after a phone call to RHQ to check with the powers that be, there were happy for me to join them.

14. cool. Well I've made contact with my local detachment of signals so fingers crossed and all that!