What to do with those who can't close their left eye?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jun 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Every now and again I see a recruit shooting with a patch over his left eye; not for "Look at me I'm a pirate" reasons, but because they say they can't close their left eye. Poor people, or those being treated badly by the Big Boys use black and nasty

Is the use of patches acceptable? Just seems wrong to me; you can hardly be expected to wait 30 seconds to put a patch on before returning fire...

TIA

BB

• Like Like x 1
  2. From the other side of the argument the inability to close ones left eye shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of marksmanship training either.

Perhaps as concurrent activity on the range they could be be shown exercises that could be conducted to assist in the closing of the left eye.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Teach 'em to shoot with both eyes open (or get an SLR).

• Like Like x 2
  4. I go with the keeping both eyes open when shooting so I can see what is going on around me. (Those who know me will know what I mean).

5. Re;- the use of black nasty as opposed to a patch.....surely that's where the old saying originated, "Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick".

6. The issue is less to do with the ability to close the left eye, but eye dominance. Right eye dominant shooters won't need to close the left eye. Check which eye is dominant before worrying about his facial mong paralysis.

7. just leave them with grenades and a bayonet on a broom handle?

8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I used to suffer from this affliction. After about a year of eyepatch shooting, I decided to try without, turns out I'd inadvertently trained myself to turn my left eye off.

It still doesn't shut entirely but I have the ability to kind of blur it out, concentrating only on what my right eye is doing.

Anyway it appears to be working because I'm a ******* brilliant shot.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 2
  9. In the good old dayz (circa 1976) I had as an instructor in my first recruit training team, an Angle-Iron full screw (a truly cracking bloke) who always carried a drinking straw in his top pocket on range days. Soldiers such as the OP's were treated to a gentle steady stream of air directed into their left eye during their first few range exercises, as an aid until they mastered the voluntary closing thereof.

Simples, back then. Prolly get told nowadays that this was an H&S hanging offence or brutalising the little dears.

OP: I suggest you PM Jumpinjarhead - I'll bet he has thoughts'n'tips to offer.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Get them to run up and down just behind the firing point while the detail fires. This is good practice for when under fire and the section commander cannot identify the target and requires someone to expose themselves to draw the enemy's fire.

"Can anyone see the enemy?"

"No" etc etc

"Pte Bloggs, start running around, everyone else watch and shoot, watch and shoot!"

If he survives long enough he will come to be a valuable member of the team...

:)

Rodney2q

11. We've got one like that, however he's now G4 assistant so he can **** that up instead.

12. What manner of Gimp joins the TA? Dont you lot have some level of fitness and health standard that has to be met before letting people sully the Queens uniform? Is there not some form of eye test with the words " Now, close your left eye and focus on the letters in front of you" or "with your right eye closed, read the third line down".

Seriously, do you do any pre joining screening or just recruit any old scranbag and hope they'll work out?

13. "Draft Dodger I need you to move up to 2 section"

"no bother boss, i'll just cut along this walled irrigation ditch"

"er, actually i need you to run across the field"

"what?"

"i need you here as quickly as possible"

-cue running, shooting and much hilarity had by all -

upon arrival

"i'm not ******* stupid boss"

"yeah....sorry"

i'm not even a bad shot! (i am ginger though)

14. Very interesting - I was discussing this very thing only yesterday..

Ever since I started shooting (aged about 12 in the ACF) I have always tried to shoot with both eyes open. This was because it was recommended by one of our instructors (not taught: as I'm sure it's not in the SAA syllabus) He also used his second finger on the trigger, not his index finger - but I have no idea why.

My right eye has always been the dominant eye and now that I'm filming I still try to keep both eyes open (except for a quick focus check) Unlike shooting where you are unlikely to need to keep an eye closed for more than a few minutes at a time, occasionally I'm looking down the viewfinder for 10-15 minutes.

If I shut my left eye for such long periods of time it temporarily degrades my eyesight significantly.

Furthermore the 'lead parrot' means that I have a large blind side on camera right (as evidenced by my balls-up when I panned right to show something I shouldn't have during the G8 protest). To further restrict my field of view on the other side when things are getting fruity would be asking for it.

Back to shooting: My first 'cheap' side-by-side had a severe left eye cast which, as it was shaped for a left eye dominant, right shouldered bloke with very short arms, was an awkward bitch with a kick like a mule.

15. closing the eye can have a negative effect on the open eye (apparently) so on eye tests we are supposed to have the applicant cover the eye with something but not to put pressure on the eye.