What to do out of trg hours on Camp

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I am doing some work on setting up and ACF det in Episkopi and am looking at the training program for annual camps.

Anybody got any suggestions for entertaining cadets in the evening. If the det gets off the ground it will be going on camp on its own - or possibly co-locating with the ATC.

The training time I can fill - but its the evenings I'm less sure of. I would expect the Cadets to spend about 4 nights 'in the field' either on Ex or AT so theres another 8 or so evenings to fill...

On Annual Camp we will have a disco/kareoke one or two nights over the fortnight. But that's about it.

To be brutally honest, if the training/testing is up to scratch, the cadets will be too busy cleaning from the day and prepping for the next day (and tired) so all they're fit for is slumping into a chair in the NAAFI and having a chin wag with their chums.

Organised sports, football etc.

And prep.

SCoy

War Hero
Some sort of skit/ short satire play thing is quite good - they usually end up taking the urine out of the AI's but thats the point!

Get the SNCO's involved, they'll know what the cadets'll enjoy and can be kept busy running it too. :D

I remember during annual camp as a cadet, riding motorbikes , go garts , football,cricket & rounders tourments, dossing round the NAAFI, deathslides, fun runs, British Bulldog & raiding other Battalions billets with pillows stuffed right to the bottom of the pillow case.All happening during the evening on camp..... fantastic days.

LT.

We try and have something different lined up for the cadets every night: organised sport, barbecue, trips into town, pony trekking, swimming or cinema etc. Best to get out of camp to avoid the back biting, arse licking and drunkenness.

hmm nights on an ACF camp, for me that was usually someone smuggling in a bottle of white lightning and copping a feel of the unit bike

Swimming at least on one night (usually after exped' or FTX) that way you defo know the little darlings have had a wash

T

taric

Thrash the little b*stards until they bleed from every oreface and tell them mummy and daddy doesn't love them ha ha ha!!!!!!

Hi,

I suppose heat is going to be a big factor in Cyprus.

Well, I would agree with most other posters, fun and exciting entertainment of an evening.

1) Sod's Opera, "Sarge can I borrow your glasses, jkt and beret) is a dead give away you are going to feature

2) Swiming

3) Inter unit sports

4) Video night

5) Dobie night / Personel Admin

6) Visit some centre of importance (should be plenty about)

7) 2 hours close order drill (if you want sharpens the mind)

8) Perhaps 2 hours reading aloud the Gospel according to 5.56mm should be made compulsary for all ACF units.

Another good suggestion was that the Cadets write an ACF Diary during the week and then offer a prize for the best diary detailing their time at camp, one night could be set aside for the final writing up of it.

Hope this helps.

Birddog.

Birddog said:
Hi,

Another good suggestion was that the Cadets write an ACF Diary during the week and then offer a prize for the best diary detailing their time at camp, one night could be set aside for the final writing up of it.

good ideas

although I could imagine the riot if some cadets were made to write up something like that :eek:

It's usually a good idea to make the activites optional now and then, otherwise it just pisses everyone off. On the camps I go on it's usually a case of being told what time lights out is, what we have to do before that (sort kit, prepare orders for an FTX or whatever) and then just left to do what we please. There's always a game of football going on, a room set aside for videos or a disco going on in the naafi. A bbq is always a hit on the last night as well!

Just edited to add - maybe it's a good idea to ask the cadets what they want and suggest things you've read here, it's their camp afterall!