What to do now the Stock Market has crashed.

Funbaby

Old-Salt
I picked up some Boeing stock for 99 bucks a share last week.

BP also was a bargain.

Probably going in for some airline stock next.

What to do now the Stock Market has crashed.
They haven't - YET

Give it another couple of months and then you can call it a crash / devastation / wrecked / other expressions available.

Unless of course, you have an amazingly accurate crystal ball.

Last edited:

jmb3296

Old-Salt
I do this stuff for a living, I have a very good idea what I'm talking about and I'm happy to discuss such matters.
I for one find your overview helpful.

I look at it more as an opinion piece or a blog and not financial advice. You are very clear that is not what you are giving. Please keep it up.

I have dabbled buying Shares in the past, some have been good, and some bad, I have lost money in the crashes and made a few pennies in the boom

Whilst the stock market has recovered from previous crashes, the crashes in my lifetime have been confined within the financial market - Bull Market Dotcom boom, Speculation dropping out of the ERM, 2008 Sub Prime Financial organisation playing pass the parcel with risk rated assets being fraudulent rated as prime.

Cannot remember the date 1989 maybe BP partially floated on the Stock Exchange the next day the market crashed, I bought 100 BP shares for my son (he was 2 ) the shares have been held in his name he is now over 30, when available dividend reinvested using DRIP now taking a dividend. This has been a good buy, I wish I had brought thousands (Never had the money at that stage of my life)

Not withstanding this is a different crash and has a long journey before there is a sustainable recovery, why a different crash - this is physical - this will cut across capitalism and consumers, the whole system

The UK never recovered from the 2008 crash and was being propped up the BoE suppressing Interest rates, buying back Treasury Bonds, Corporate bonds and QE, so we are not starting at an idea place - same applies to the Euro Zone

Do you think that Joe public is going to accept the bailout of the Financial World while PAYE, Self employed and small business get peanuts, This pandemic will change ambitions, aspirations and lives

The Government will have a huge task on its hands - more money to NHS for pandemic readiness, more Police, there will be a lot of areas of public lift that will be shown as painfully inadequate.

I would only invest on the basis of a very long term outlook - and I don't have that long, maybe for my Grandchildren just maybe

Remember the Stock Market is an irrational place, driven by the extremes of the juxtaposition of Fear and Greed

Archie

PS. The future in the UK will be driven by public perception of how we are in this position (the subsequent enquires are going to be very revelling) and how we recover, if individuals or organizations are seen to prosper (ie. City Bonuses) they are going to be very angry.

Remember Winston Churchill PM for WW2 and we won it, post war General Election out on his ear.

Last edited:

jg505

Old-Salt
Again people asking and worse still giving, financial advise on an anonymous multi media web site.
At least, here, I haven't seen any blatant rampers, derampers or the classic pump and dump tossers that infest the LSE or ADVFN chat pages.

Best bit of advice i was ever given, when playing the stock market, is that it is a gamble, so never invest/stake more than you can afford to lose.

Last edited:
I for one find your overview helpful.

I look at it more as an opinion piece or a blog and not financial advice. You are very clear that is not what you are giving. Please keep it up.
Thank you.

Well, only because they don't exist any more.

Replaced (broadly) by Client Dealing Certification Employees under SMCR.
Still shown against my name on the FCA Register.
He's piled in quite badly, hasn't he?

They haven't - YET

Give it another couple of months and then you can call it a crash / devastation / wrecked / other expressions available.

Unless of course, you have an amazingly accurate crystal ball.
You're now actually saying stock markets haven't crashed...

Interesting.

Flogging QROPS, as you have previously claimed to be your bread and butter, is hardly the basis to provide investment advice.
I am qualified to give investment advice as well as advise on QROPS.

Not doing very well here, are you?

I was close to realising the value of my Standard Life shares, which had been very much on the up since the election. I'll sit tight (have done for a decade or more). They'll get back there.
I too have Shares in Standard Life ... by chance I had a small Private Pension with them before they were floated and had free Shares and later benefited from other bonuses / options ... it has been an interesting investment .... into which I have always reinvested Dividends .... experienced a Share Buy Back but they took a bit of a hit when Lloyds withdrew a portfolio they had with them ... at some cost to Lloyds who incidentally we also have Shares with ... The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away .... but in the long haul I believe probably a wise move to take up the flotation option .

Last edited:
You're now actually saying stock markets haven't crashed...

Interesting.
They have fallen and entered bear territory - They have certainly not crashed and I have never claimed that they have. Laughing at you on the other thread ( FTSE 8000 by end of year ) and posting pointers that upset you, is not claiming the Markets have crashed.

I know this might be difficult for you to understand - It is not me that is making any claims, I am merely posting the opinion / views of others.

October 2019 - There were plenty of indicators

Dec 2019

Warnings aplenty about economies taking a hammering even before Klung Flu kicked off.

The cumulative fallout from economic contraction / recession and Klung Flu may well cause a crash - That will not be known until further down the line.

Just watch the following indicators on a monthly basis.

Job losses

Business's closing ( Never to reopen once Governments stop paying wages )

Monthly PMI's ( as I posted yesterday )

Then add in the problems created by ever increasing debt to fire fight the current crisis.

They have fallen and entered bear territory - They have certainly not crashed and I have never claimed that they have. Laughing at you on the other thread ( FTSE 8000 by end of year ) and posting pointers that upset you, is not claiming the Markets have crashed.

I know this might be difficult for you to understand - It is not me that is making any claims, I am merely posting the opinion / views of others.

October 2019 - There were plenty of indicators

Dec 2019

Warnings aplenty about economies taking a hammering even before Klung Flu kicked off.

The cumulative fallout from economic contraction / recession and Klung Flu may well cause a crash - That will not be known until further down the line.

Just watch the following indicators on a monthly basis.

Job losses

Business's closing ( Never to reopen once Governments stop paying wages )

Monthly PMI's ( as I posted yesterday )

Then add in the problems created by ever increasing debt to fire fight the current crisis.
You've actually said, for the second time, that stock markets haven't crashed...

Excruciating.

Latest Threads