What to Claim after being medically discharged?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Rhys_Cowe, Apr 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Looking for some suggestions on what to claim for in terms of benefits after being Medically Discharged during training at ITC. I had surgery on 13th March this year to reconstruct my knee following an injury i obtained November last year. My discharge date is 19th May which is next week but the problem i have is that i cant currently work given that i'm still recovering from surgery. My rehabilitation will take the best part of 9 months but obviously i expect i can get a job in civvie street well before that. According to the Direct.Gov website i'm not eligible for any benefits but i find that extremely hard to believe. I obviously can't claim JSA because i wouldnt be actively looking for work, so im not quite sure where to go with this? I'll be claiming on my PAX insurance for sure but im not expecting anything remotely soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. What advice did you ignore before from your RCMO?

    Speak with the good people at the RBL they might have done a few similar cases.

    If only there people in a similar situation to yours that have posted this before then we could maybe install a search function to avoid asking the same questions again and again and again.
  3. Granted i should have used the search function.

    Here's the fun bit, i literally got jack shit advice or help from anyone before i was sent home on USL to wait for my discharge papers to come through, because of my "unique" situation. Because i was expecting surgery on the good old NHS instead of private healthcare (which i should have been given since im not discharged yet) they didn't have the faintest idea of what would happen to me after my discharge date. I repeatedly got told to "sign on" but since i can't work it means nothing to me. Inviting me to all these job fairs and employment shin digs, its a shambles.
  4. Speak with Royal British Legion; they are the schnizle at advice.
  5. Thanks, I'll do that
  6. Hate to break it to you but the Army use the NHS not private healthcare.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. My mistake i meant to say "Priority treatment" you know, one of the main benefits of joining the army.
  8. Priority treatment, it's nice when you can get it. I know people who've waited years for operations.
  9. I went through something similar. If you can get a med/sick note from your GP declaring your unfit for work you could claim Employment Support Allowance.

    Re the RBL, I found them a bit hit and miss. The volunteers and workers who actually come see you are lovely and very supportive but they always stressed to me how frustrating it is trying to help people when they are being ignored by management and office workers but, I digress.

    Pm me if you have any questions mate I've dealt with the DWP and ESA people a lot because of my surgery.

    Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  10. Arrange an appointment with your local job centre and tell them of your medical discharge, rehabilitation etc and ask what benefits are available to you. People in the system are generally much better than the web site.

  11. Linky: Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

    Sad news. Has anyone pointed this dept out?

    I'm off out so haven't time to check if it's any use, but maybe. I know it's not benefits but something to check.
    Good luck.
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 2
  12. Grumblegrunt

    Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

    ESA is lower than JSA by around 20 quid according to my advisor from last time. you should be eligible for the incapacity benefit replacement at least while you are on doctors orders so you will get away with it for a while. then you'ld be better off claiming jsa and putting up with the interviews which is easier of you have a good advisor.

    while you are proper broken then the atos ******* can't touch you at least but they will try. if you want to play the system then not living with parents as far as they are concerned will get you more benefits so if you have a mate with a house use it or say you are living at aunties because she has a bungalow etc...

    whatever happens though put your health first as its far to easy to ruin a recovering knee.
  13. Thanks for that Grumble, i suppose i best just go to the doctor and tell him it straight that i cant work and i refuse to go back to work until im fully fit. given my home exercises have to be done 4 times a day and take around an hour and a half every time, theres not a chance in hell im working.
  14. My bold - Do that & you're f*cked.

    You would be much better advised to inform your doctor that you have been advised by the hospital that it would not help your rehabilitation by rushing to get back working whilst neglecting your physiotherapy exercises which have to be completed 4 times a day, taking 90 mins per session.
  15. Grumblegrunt

    Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

    the doctor will go for it just to get you out of his hair but you know your body so don't suck it up, tell him if it's an issue and you are in pain.

    jobcentrewise your claim advisor will probably be sympathetic and give you enough advice so make sure you have enough workplace restrictions so no stairs, long periods standing, trip hazzards etc... try and get on free courses or look for a suitable vocational course or sit down job. show willing and maybe get something part time to allow plenty of rest while still getting benefits.

    never refuse anything but point out the short comings and get a proper set of dos and don'ts off the consultant and physios. it sounds like your rebuild will leave you unstable for a while and finding a sympathetic employer will be difficult.

    petrol station attendant would probably suit you activity wise.