What to call an SO2 (W) appointment on a civilian CV

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Interceptor, Oct 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd appreciate some help from the combined might of the Arrse community. I'm redrafting my CV in the hunt for civilian employment and the area I'm having most trouble with is describing my last SO2 (W) appointment, particularly in translating the job title into civvy speak.

Does anyone have any useful ideas?

2. msr

msr LE

Can you tell us what the job entails and what you achieved?
  3. I've pm'd you, msr.
  4. Interceptor

I still use my SO2 (W) in my CV and have done for the last 12 years. Explaining what the post entailed is more important than the job title.
  5. SO2(WALT)?
  6. You are correct. My 24 years in uniform is a complete fiction!

Now kindly fukc off and do one you throbber!
  7. well in 18 years of uniform i've not heard of a SO2(W), but i've only been a staff officer in 3 x 1*HQs, a 2* HQ and a 3* HQ...so i'm relatively inexperienced which is why i don't know!
  8. SO2 (Weapons) i.e. it was technical staff appointment

i.e you had top be able to do sums.
  9. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

10. A lot of CV's now are no longer done in chronological order, but are skills/role based. Therefore converting SO2(W) would not be a drama, because if it is done as skills type CV, it would just be a straight read-across of what you did etc, rather than trying to explain the job title.
  11. How does "Product Development Manager" sound?

I was WO1(RSMI) Comms and Veh Systems at ATDU for 2 years and thats what I put on my CV.
  12. I have used "i/c Unforeseen Circumstances" in the past. Didn't get me a job, but it raised a smile at the interview.
  13. I tried to 'civilianise' my CV and it just bounced too often so, following the kind advice of an ex-mil head hunter, I ignored all the bumf I got from CTP and went back to mil titles with a short explanation underneath. It worked a treat and lead to a stream of interviews.

Basically, if they like the idea of ex-mil it's a step-up, if they don't then it doesn't matter what you write.

14. Thanks for all the help and advice. I have used the term "Communications Systems Project Manager" and incorporated "product development" into the spiel.

Thanks also to Goon_Bde for raising a smile. Eighteen years and never come across an weapons staff officer? Were you stacking shelves in the QM's?
  15. Nice one.