What things in life have been handed to you?

I read at one time George was the highest paid British entertainer!
I believe he was.
He was also a total fanny rat, his missus had to keep him on a short leash. She also controlled his money to stop him splooging it on other women.

After she died he said that life was hell with her.

Johned

War Hero
I believe he was.
He was also a total fanny rat, his missus had to keep him on a short leash. She also controlled his money to stop him splooging it on other women.

After she died he said that life was hell with her.
Many years ago, the BBC interviewed his last surviving sister on TV. She said George was his parents' favourite and got everything he wanted. She recalled one teatime, he brought up the subject of a new Alvis, I think it was, sports car advertised in the paper. His mother averred "You're not having one George, so that's that!" but as his sister dolefully said, one was delivered to the house the following Friday! There again George went out to entertain the BEF in France in 1940 and at the start of his performance in a crowded marquee, on hearing distant gunfire said "What's that noise?" Some wit replied "That's the Jerries!" George, mindful his was a free performance, shouted back "If they are coming in, they are paying!"

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Donald Maclean’s tea set - a birthday present from his FO colleagues that he never got. My Mum was given it after he defected.

A decent sized farm, large cash inheritance, courtesy of the Father in law ( the wife's really), a mahoosive collection of W. Britain soldiers and accessories, a large collection of unbuilt vintage balsa planes and a large collection of vintage air pistols/rifles.

A decent sized farm, large cash inheritance, courtesy of the Father in law ( the wife's really), a mahoosive collection of W. Britain soldiers and accessories, a large collection of unbuilt vintage balsa planes and a large collection of vintage air pistols/rifles.
Can you adopt me?

Does herpes count...;-);-);-)

Huh, all I can think of is: "My Arse On A Plate" - far too frequently to being anywhere remotely funny.

Never thought much about it before. Now I do, I’ve been given pretty much nothing beyond a decent upbringing. Which to be fair isn’t to be sniffed at. Joined the army straight from school and looked after myself since. Anything I have or have accrued is through my own (and Mrs Foggys) efforts. Saying that I certainly don’t feel hard done by and consider myself more fortunate than some.

Last edited: