What things in life have been handed to you?

What are housing prices in Australia? Are they a bit overpriced like they are in America at this point in time?
Yeah, you could say that, especially around Sydney and Melbourne

Added to that the growing number of defective apartments being built where the liability is dumped immediately on the new owner once they take ownership, as well as the banks going gangbusters loaning money out to anyone at record low interest rates (still can't get $150 grand for some land up near QLD for some bizarre reason). It's a flow on effect. People who can't afford Sydney or Melbourne are flocking to QLD and TAS, driving up prices and putting strains on the system in those states.

Yet somehow the new NSW government leader still says we need 2 million more migrants a year for reasons (to keep the housing market ponzi scheme going still)

At least in the US, you have a lot more habitable land.

Last edited:
Yeah, you could say that, especially around Sydney and Melbourne

Added to that the growing number of defective apartments being built where the liability is dumped immediately on the new owner once they take ownership, as well as the banks going gangbusters loaning money out to anyone at record low interest rates (still can't get $150 grand for some land up near QLD for some bizarre reason). It's a flow on effect. People who can't afford Sydney or Melbourne are flocking to QLD and TAS, driving up prices and putting strains on the system in those states.

Yet somehow the new NSW government leader still says we need 2 million more migrants a year for reasons (to keep the housing market ponzi scheme going still)

At least in the US, you have a lot more habitable land.
The same thing is going on here, we just have many new comers who want to try their hand at life on Hoth. I give 9 out 10 about three winters before they call it and seek life elsewhere.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was handed the port a few times, does that count for this thread?

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
What are housing prices in Australia? Are they a bit overpriced like they are in America at this point in time?
Depends where you go mate, if you're trying to buy in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and their respective surrounding areas then the prices are at the higher end of imbecilic. The further you go into the bush the lower the prices, mainly as citysiders don't want to live "all the way out there" so demand is lower. I paid $235k for 5 acres with a 2 bed house and some outbuildings and I'm about 6 hours West of Sydney. You wouldn't get anything for that price nearer the city.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Single bloke in Aus at the moment, looking at moving to the bush to escape the increasingly unaffordable house prices.

Dad died when I was young, mum had to go it alone raising 3 kids. I don't expect a handout from her (not that I want one, everything I've got in life I got myself without help from anyone). I suppose I am lucky being completely debt free (apart from monthly insurance and rent) but I'm in my 40's and still struggling to own a house by the time I retire.
"Bush" is relative, if you're moving near a decent sized country town you'll get enough amenities and all that and still get a solid property for a good price. Top tip - if looking to buy out of town check your phone signal as you look around the place and ask if they have internet access - some places still don't.

Last edited:
"Bush" is relative, if you're moving near a decent sized country town you'll get enough amenities and all that and still get a solid property for a good price. Top tip - if looking to buy out of town check your phone signal as you look around the place and ask if they have internet access - some places still don't.
Every man and his dog in NSW is moving to the bush at the moment due to being unable to afford Sydney prices, COVID lockdowns drove the demand for country residences even further.

AirBnB'ers have bought a lot of country properties now since people will be flocking to regional Australia for holidays rather than go overseas. It's driven the price up in these towns to the point where fruit pickers are unable to afford rent in these towns, which means the farmers have been bringing in near-to-slave labour that they can treat like shit.

AirBnB needs to be banned. Doubt the LNP will bother to do anything about it though.

Also NBN was supposed to cover Australia (before the LNP got their hands on it)

My main problem living that far out in the sticks is finding work, which is why I hope to have something completely paid off by the time I retire.

Redundancy notice, Triumph Motors, '78. Got another job straight away, so redundancy cheque straight in the bank.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Every man and his dog in NSW is moving to the bush at the moment due to being unable to afford Sydney prices, COVID lockdowns drove the demand for country residences even further.

AirBnB'ers have bought a lot of country properties now since people will be flocking to regional Australia for holidays rather than go overseas. It's driven the price up in these towns to the point where fruit pickers are unable to afford rent in these towns, which means the farmers have been bringing in near-to-slave labour that they can treat like shit.

AirBnB needs to be banned. Doubt the LNP will bother to do anything about it though.

Also NBN was supposed to cover Australia (before the LNP got their hands on it)

My main problem living that far out in the sticks is finding work, which is why I hope to have something completely paid off by the time I retire.
What kind of work are you looking for?

My arse handed to me on a plate several times - maybe one day I'll learn not to try to punch above my weight, because I'm not very good at it.

Ritch

LE
Eff all until ten years and three days ago when I arrived in Australia with my new Aussie wife. I've been given a fair bit of initial new-arrival employment by the in-laws (in what I now recognise as appreciation and admiration for being brave enough to take her on)and financial support to get us going, followed by a house deposit and doubling my savings five years ago to buy a reasonable family car. And I get to live in Oz, which is great.

I honestly think that if you don't get a leg up from your family at the beginning you have to spend the best part of your life scrabbling to escape the grind. I was extraordinarily lucky in that I married a girl whose father is patient to a fault with poms with no useful skills, even-tempered, and very open handed. It certainly focuses my mind on those occasions when I'm wondering if I'd be better off ditching the bloody woman and going it alone!

I should damn well think your father in law is good to you. Just think, if his great Grandfather wasn't a criminal, he could have been one of us! ;)

Shamelessly stolen from Del Boy.

From my father - far call apart from a fountain pen and a healthy disregard for authority.

From my mother - good genes (she is 100 next year), stud muffin looks and animal magnetism.

From the society my parents and grandparents created - free healthcare; free education to postgraduate level.

From somewhere - two great daughters and four great grandsons.

Depends where you go mate, if you're trying to buy in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and their respective surrounding areas then the prices are at the higher end of imbecilic. The further you go into the bush the lower the prices, mainly as citysiders don't want to live "all the way out there" so demand is lower. I paid $235k for 5 acres with a 2 bed house and some outbuildings and I'm about 6 hours West of Sydney. You wouldn't get anything for that price nearer the city.
Well give it a few more years and those places that were not thought to be desirable, will be colonized by the non millionaires.

Gone2ratshat

Old-Salt
The same thing is going on here, we just have many new comers who want to try their hand at life on Hoth. I give 9 out 10 about three winters before they call it and seek life elsewhere.
Living bush/outback takes either a lot of work or a lot of cash , many can not provide either.

Ritch

LE
When I turned 21, I received a cash sum from my old man who won the lotto jackpot in 1998. He had to share that win with eight others from around the country but his share was £1,234,612.

Gone2ratshat

Old-Salt
My old man had a theory that the govt should give everyone £1m when they hit 21 , then they make their own way in life , no pension , no health care etc , he forgotten most of the population would blow it in 5 years and be trying to claim benefits.

My grandfathers pocket watch and chain, both went through WW1. in the trenches, then the Syrian desert, Aleppo, and Palestine, and witnessed the surrender of Jerusalem by the Turks to Gen Allenby in December 1917. :salut:

8 grandchildren, priceless.

Chef

LE
Looking back, a large helping of good luck. Being born in the right place and the right time.

Above all, whilst not handed to me on a plate, an intelligent, attractive wife who still puts up with me.

Pretty much everything else I've had to learn or earn, including the realisation that all my needs are met and I have enough spare funds to indulge myself from time to time.

Financially I never benefitted from anything inherited.
But life experience - even before joining up - was priceless. Some of the stuff I was able to see and do are almost impossible today.

How quickly the world changes.

From my parents, a £500 IKEA sofa when I bought my first house. A total understanding that if I ever needed anything I could have it....but also a well inculcated understanding that need means what it says.

Latest Threads