What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

Superior ranks salute, inferior ranks return it.

Wehrmacht personnel throwing up the Roman salute all the time, even when out of the Fuhrer's presence*.

* Got a notion that the WH, LW and KM all saluted "normally," especially in-house...?
ISTR that late war a diktat went out that the Wehrmacht were to give the party salute instead of the military one - possibly post-Valkyrie?

Pretty much every B&W WWII film made with a British cast/by a British studio seems to have a character of a German officer called Lutze in it.
Was he the old wrinkled one, referred to as Sweeper?

I think it was "Fast & Furious: Hobbs and Shaw" that did this. The bad guy dropped a grenade on the kitchen floor, they had a fight for about a minute and still managed to stop the grenade from exploding.
I think it was Jason Statham in one of the ‘Transporter’ series. Handily the spoon stays attached.

I may be mistaken but bronn appears to be cleaning his nails with a bayonet
tumblr_m4e258mOjw1qe6vsbo1_500.jpg
S2 e8

In films set in the 'fifties and before, scenes of men wearing their trilby's or other headwear indoors.
Even as youngsters, it was a requirement to take off your school cap when crossing the threshold, especially when visiting.

In films set in the 'fifties and before, scenes of men wearing their trilby's or other headwear indoors.
Even as youngsters, it was a requirement to take off your school cap when crossing the threshold, especially when visiting.
Perhaps not in America. I remember an argument at work between an elderly lady and an American care assistant where his comment about how Americans do indeed wear their hats indoors was met with the observation that we were in England, where this is considered rude.

Hacking, that normally involves some bloke randomly banging out stuff on the keyboard, whilst green text appears on the screen like they're Matrix walts

A good example of the mad keyboard banging in the film Swordfish

Ironically the only remotely plausible hacking scenes I've seen on film had Dan Ackyroyd in it, yes you Sneakers I'm talking about you

Hacking, that normally involves some bloke randomly banging out stuff on the keyboard, whilst green text appears on the screen like they're Matrix walts

A good example of the mad keyboard banging in the film Swordfish

Ironically the only remotely plausible hacking scenes I've seen on film had Dan Ackyroyd in it, yes you Sneakers I'm talking about you
That was film of me trying to format a USB stick yesterday. "Semaphore time out period has expired"
Lots of 'f***, f***, f***' and booze involved, but none of the joy of successful completion.

TamH70

MIA
I thought that formatting solid state devices was a bit of a fox paw?
You're thinking about defragmenting them - that's a no-no. All raw, factory fresh SSD/SD cards need formatting unless you are happy with FAT 32, which most of the ones I have seen come with as standard.

You're thinking about defragmenting them - that's a no-no. All raw, factory fresh SSD/SD cards need formatting unless you are happy with FAT 32, which most of the ones I have seen come with as standard.
Can you explain that in more detail to the simpler beings among us? I bought an external hard drive the other day and it had a leaflet saying I wasn't to format it because of FAT 32 (or was it that I was supposed to format it because it was FAT 32 :rolleyes:), I tried googling it but the assumption was that anyone asking about FAT 32 already understood FAT 32, which wasn't the case with me.

TamH70

MIA
Can you explain that in more detail to the simpler beings among us? I bought an external hard drive the other day and it had a leaflet saying I wasn't to format it because of FAT 32 (or was it that I was supposed to format it because it was FAT 32 :rolleyes:), I tried googling it but the assumption was that anyone asking about FAT 32 already understood FAT 32, which wasn't the case with me.

This is one of these things when my trying to explain it would confuse both you and me since I've formatted drives so many times now it's basically automatic.

Hmm. This site looks like a starting point, though as I've said, most if not all the solid-state stuff I've seen has been pre-formatted to FAT32, as it's the most common standard, and NTFS is usually just a Microsoft-focused thingy. (Even though FAT32 was a Microsoft thingy first, everyone and their mummies has adopted it.)

Here's what FAT32 actually is (basically how your device recognizes what the storage is):

If that doesn't work, fire me across a link to what your hard-drive is, who makes it and so on, and I'll have a swatch with my Bing and/or Google-Fu.

Latest Threads