What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Me and my cousins created our own version of Ecky Thump called Puggy Whak. I can't remember much about it but one cousin became an accountant and the other drank himself to death, so that just shows you!
Was this a result of Puggy Whak or because they were related to you?

Have you tried Llap Goch?

LLAP01.gif

I am a Krav Magoo practitioner.

Issi

LE
In olden times, running a sword across the back of a mail clad warrior will kill him stone dead.

Similar deadly effects are obtained by an arrow in the belly

NSP

LE
Apparently a grenade with a removed pin and popped spoon can be stopped from exploding by clamping the spoon back down against the body and shoving the pin back in to secure it. About twenty seconds after the pin was first pulled and spoon released.

British army personnel without headdress saluting indoors. Using the naval palm-down salute...

bob231

War Hero
Apparently a grenade with a removed pin and popped spoon can be stopped from exploding by clamping the spoon back down against the body and shoving the pin back in to secure it. About twenty seconds after the pin was first pulled and spoon released.

British army personnel without headdress saluting indoors. Using the naval palm-down salute...
The American palm-down salute, rather than the RN palm-about-45-degrees-down-and-back. Which you never see anywhere.

The American palm-down salute, rather than the RN palm-about-45-degrees-down-and-back. Which you never see anywhere.
4-4. HAND SALUTE
The Hand Salute is a one-count movement. The command is Present, ARMS. The Hand Salute may be executed while marching. When marching, only the soldier in charge of the formation salutes and acknowledges salutes. When double-timing, an individual soldier must come to Quick Time before saluting.

a. When wearing headgear with a visor (with or without glasses), on the command of execution ARMS, raise the right hand sharply, fingers and thumb extended and joined, palm facing down, and place the tip of the right forefinger on the rim of the visor slightly to the right of the right eye. The outer edge of the hand is barely canted downward so that neither the back of the hand nor the palm is clearly visible from the front. The hand and wrist are straight, the elbow inclined slightly forward, and the upper arm horizontal (1, Figure 4-5).

b. When wearing headgear without a visor (or uncovered) and not wearing glasses, execute the Hand Salute in the same manner as previously described, except touch the tip of the right forefinger to the forehead near and slightly to the right of the right eyebrow (2, Figure 4-5).

c. When wearing headgear without a visor (or uncovered) and wearing glasses, execute the Hand Salute in the same manner as previously described, except touch the tip of the right forefinger to that point on the glasses where the temple piece of the frame meets the right edge of the right brow (3, Figure 4-5).

salute.PNG

I think it was "Fast & Furious: Hobbs and Shaw" that did this. The bad guy dropped a grenade on the kitchen floor, they had a fight for about a minute and still managed to stop the grenade from exploding.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think it was "Fast & Furious: Hobbs and Shaw" that did this. The bad guy dropped a grenade on the kitchen floor, they had a fight for about a minute and still managed to stop the grenade from exploding.
Must have missed that, I was too busy lusting after the leading lady!
1625808317529.png

"What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?"

Footage

Ah, Vanessa Kirby, a great shame the White Widow's proposed naughty thread with Ethan Hunt was discarded in the Mission Impossible series.

NSP

LE
That's the puppy. Watched it last night.

Seen similar in other blockbusters, too.

NSP

LE
Dunno how the RN salute other than some fly-on-the-wall thing I watched about HMS Ocean (I think it was) years ago where some big cheese from NATO was visiting so the old man and staff were lined up to greet him and threw up palm-down salutes, a la the Septics.

However, as I was referring to British soldiers on screen I referenced the RN rather than the Septics to keep it "in house."

I'm given to understand that the RN do it palm-down so as not to show disrespect by showing a dirty palm from grafting on deck to their superiors. Due to the maritime involvement in colonisation of the New World (shipping people over there and providing security, etc.) the fledgling Yank forces adopted saluting based on nautical practices whether soldiers or sailors (touching the big hat for officers, bend finger and knuckle to forehead thing for other ranks and then followed the RN as it went to a more formalised saluting format.

bob231

War Hero
It's subtly different: whereas the Yanks salute to a very strict form with the palm down and held to the side of the head, the RN salute is slightly further inboard and shows the back of the hand.

Drill is a very intermittent feature of RN life, saluting drill even more so, which makes for massive variation. However, the guideline is that the fingers just graze the brim of the peaked cap and the palm of the hand is visible to the saluter.

As far as I know, it's unique to the RN.* You're much more likely to see the American version on screen, since lots of actors will have seen that in Yank films.

*And fortunately not quite as weird as the Marine Nationale equivalent.

ETA: link. Afraid it's from a funeral, but a quick image search illustrates my point: there is enormous variation in RN saluting.

Last edited:
Dunno how the RN salute other than some fly-on-the-wall thing I watched about HMS Ocean (I think it was) years ago where some big cheese from NATO was visiting so the old man and staff were lined up to greet him and threw up palm-down salutes, a la the Septics.

However, as I was referring to British soldiers on screen I referenced the RN rather than the Septics to keep it "in house."

I'm given to understand that the RN do it palm-down so as not to show disrespect by showing a dirty palm from grafting on deck to their superiors. Due to the maritime involvement in colonisation of the New World (shipping people over there and providing security, etc.) the fledgling Yank forces adopted saluting based on nautical practices whether soldiers or sailors (touching the big hat for officers, bend finger and knuckle to forehead thing for other ranks and then followed the RN as it went to a more formalised saluting format.

I thought it was because we could (can still) be trusted by HMtK/Q not to be hiding a weapon in our hand; unlike the traitorous army.

NSP

LE
Couple of female army captains in Collateral (Netflix) - crossing the depot square all the time, never with any headdress. All the squaddies wandering about all wearing berets - half of whom salute in passing, half of whom don't.

NSP

LE
Superior ranks salute, inferior ranks return it.

Wehrmacht personnel throwing up the Roman salute all the time, even when out of the Fuhrer's presence*.

* Got a notion that the WH, LW and KM all saluted "normally," especially in-house...?

NSP

LE
Pretty much every B&W WWII film made with a British cast/by a British studio seems to have a character of a German officer called Lutze in it.

Latest Threads