What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

syrup

LE
Any film based around LA, they often tend to have a car chase in the "canal" (the rain drainage sluces)

And there's always a burnt out car or 2 abandoned in them.

Don't forget particularly in the 80's the car chase always ended with the car being chased hitting a conveniently placed object which would allow it to fly through the air and roll over

Nobody on CHIPS ever had a rear end shunt it was always to barrel rolls and a twist as they flew up the boot of the car in front of them like a Sea Harrier up a Ski ramp

TamH70

MIA
When I was a student a couple of Plod were in our halls of residence asking if we knew anything about an incident where a student had taken a kicking from the local youth. After the serious bit was out of the way and there was the "well, stay safe, kids - by doing this, this and this" prevention chat I asked why matey-boys BFO Maglite was scuffed to buggery and full of dents.

This was back before extendable batons or the US style baton had been brought in and they still had the traditional hitting stick in the long trouser pocket. "Because it's longer and heavier than my truncheon, lad," was the deadpan reply.

Did the police stop using the 6D Maglites then?

And multiple exclaimation marks as a sign of sanity was from Maskerade

Yokel

LE
Perhaps this is not quite what this thread is about, but my brother is a Landscaper. In the days of Ground Force with Alan Titchmarsh, Charlie Dimmock, et al, customers would ask why their job would take more than a couple of days.

The answer was because they were doing the job properly.

Perhaps this is not quite what this thread is about, but my brother is a Landscaper. In the days of Ground Force with Alan Titchmarsh, Charlie Dimmock, et al, customers would ask why their job would take more than a couple of days.

My mate used to run his own landscaping business and was on one of those Ground Force type shows that were all the rage in the ‘90s.

They were supposed to have done a complete garden in about 10hrs or similar for the tv.
Reality was 4 days.

syrup

LE

A bit like 50 minute makeover
He're your new house don't touch anything
Wet paint and lumpy damp wallpaper everywhere

In Action films, an endless number of spear-carriers are Blown Away by the good guy, who does not then endure many hours of note-taking, statement-checking, cross checking with witnesses or any of the other inconvenient nonsense involved in law enforcement. I've just watched a Travolta vehicle (Eye for an Eye, Amazon; not recommended) and couldn't keep up with the body-count at all. Surely the brutal killing of just one of those poor dead henchmen deserves some proper Justice?

TamH70

MIA
In Action films, an endless number of spear-carriers are Blown Away by the good guy, who does not then endure many hours of note-taking, statement-checking, cross checking with witnesses or any of the other inconvenient nonsense involved in law enforcement. I've just watched a Travolta vehicle (Eye for an Eye, Amazon; not recommended) and couldn't keep up with the body-count at all. Surely the brutal killing of just one of those poor dead henchmen deserves some proper Justice?

That's the reason why I always call "Hot Fuzz" a documentary film rather than just a buddy cop film - it's the only one of the crop that shows an iota of an inkling of the amount of paperwork that the carnage in the third act would cause if it happened in the real world.

I know, it has occurred to me that the various series of '24', should rightly be called '1'. After the first hour, he would be in the HQ giving statements, completing paperwork and handing over all the evidence. Then he would be on admin leave or suspended while the fatal shooting by a federal agent was investigated.

That's the reason why I always call "Hot Fuzz" a documentary film rather than just a buddy cop film - it's the only one of the crop that shows an iota of an inkling of the amount of paperwork that the carnage in the third act would cause if it happened in the real world.
In that case, I'll watch it.

Didn't the Austin Powers films have scenes where the consequences of henchmens' demise is explored? A bachelor party I think.

Sooooo, in 2 or 300 years time space ships will have warp drive and all sorts of fancy gizmos and the weaponry, computer power and the detectors and sensors that go with it will be so much further advanced than what we have now (unless you’re a conspiraloon who believes ‘they’ have an alien space ship hidden in a secret base) which is radar and missiles which allows stand off and shooting at the enemy many miles away.

And yet the protagonists Star Wars and Star Trek and similar films need to throw their fighter spacecraft around zapping each other in almost visual range as if they’re in a WW1 dogfight.

Unless of course the weapons and sensor race will have effectively cancelled each other out and they have to resort to Battle of Britain tactics.

NSP

LE
In sci-fi movies sound apparently travels through a vacuum.

Whoooooooomm. Pew pew.

Yokel

LE
I think
Sooooo, in 2 or 300 years time space ships will have warp drive and all sorts of fancy gizmos and the weaponry, computer power and the detectors and sensors that go with it will be so much further advanced than what we have now (unless you’re a conspiraloon who believes ‘they’ have an alien space ship hidden in a secret base) which is radar and missiles which allows stand off and shooting at the enemy many miles away.

And yet the protagonists Star Wars and Star Trek and similar films need to throw their fighter spacecraft around zapping each other in almost visual range as if they’re in a WW1 dogfight.

Unless of course the weapons and sensor race will have effectively cancelled each other out and they have to resort to Battle of Britain tactics.

I think it was @Archimedes who made a similar comment about Top Gun.

Apparently the film producers were shown a realistic practice dogfight with the real ranges at which air to air combat and Sidewinder engagements would occur, but the producers felt it would make poor viewing. World War Two ranges were used instead.

In sci-fi movies sound apparently travels through a vacuum.

Whoooooooomm. Pew pew.
Strangely, in such close combat, the energy-weapon beams usually miss, or cause so little damage that only the cockpit fills with smoke, enabling the pilot time to view the photograph of, and send love to his Mrs by Interstellar TightBeam, before dying horribly, if quickly. I feel that more work needs to be done on target acquisition.

Latest Threads