What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

Particularly in low budget productions SS officers will have the correct collar badge for their rank but the shoulder straps will be one rank higher (e.g an obersturmfuhrer with the two pips of a hauptsturmfuhrer) or vice versa - possibly due to skimping on technical advisors who know that the pips were changed post-war (to unify with other NATO armies, was it? - one pip for a junior lieutenant, three for a captain, etc... Or to distance the new military from that that fought the war?).

Also, addressing an SS officer or NCO with the Wehrmacht-equivalent rank when using German titles or German speech for German parts - possibly due to use of Nazi things being banned in Germany...?
I'm a little worried by your clear familiarity with Nazi regalia trivia, and the strange resonance of your 3-character username with the name of a certain now-defunct/mid-20thC Herman party of misrule. . . . . .

NSP

LE
I'm a little worried by your clear familiarity with Nazi regalia trivia, and the strange resonance of your 3-character username with the name of a certain now-defunct/mid-20thC Herman party of misrule. . . . . .
NSDAP.

NSP.

Yep - farkin' identical.

Cops holding flashlights like daggers at shoulder level. Seems most unnatural, like sideways pistols.

CFB
You mean holding a 6D Maglight by the lens end and resting the battery cap end on your shoulder? That’s just like how UK cops hold their batons; just a short swing away from a cracked skull. Additionally, your torch is less likely to slip out of your hand, and you’re not going to break the lens or bulb whilst dispensing justice.

US cops love the TV shows with the baddies holding handguns sideways because it really screws their accuracy.

holding a 6D Maglight by the lens end and resting the battery cap end on your shoulder? That’s just like how UK cops hold their batons; just a short swing away from a cracked skull.
A mate of mine (ex Red Freds) joined the Old Bill when he left the army.

It was the 1980s.

He said the first thing he he was taught about real policing was "hit them with your radio". The radio being heavy, compact and ready to hand, with no requirement (unlike using a baton) to complete statements of biblical proportions afterwards :-D

It was the 1980s.

He said the first thing he he was taught about real policing was "hit them with your radio". The radio being heavy, compact and ready to hand, with no requirement (unlike using a baton) to complete statements of biblical proportions afterwards :-D

I’m surprised they were still saying that after the Blair Peach kerfuffle.

When was that? The bells ring, but faintly. Nor was it a Swindon event, which is where my mate was coppering.

Defo not Swindon. Late 70’s I think. It was the Met, iirc Blair Peach was a teacher who died after he was hit hard in the head with a radio by a member of SPG.

Edit. I’ve just looked it up and can find no mention of a radio, however I’m certain I heard it stated during reports at the time.

Further edit. A report was unable to identify the weapon, but speculated it could have been a truncheon, a riot shield or a walkie-talkie.

Last edited:
Defo not Swindon. Late 70’s I think. It was the Met, iirc Blair Peach was a teacher who died after he was hit hard in the head with a radio by a member of SPG.

Edit. I’ve just looked it up and can find no mention of a radio, however I’m certain I heard it stated during reports at the time.

He wasn’t out of range then?

You mean holding a 6D Maglight by the lens end and resting the battery cap end on your shoulder? That’s just like how UK cops hold their batons; just a short swing away from a cracked skull. Additionally, your torch is less likely to slip out of your hand, and you’re not going to break the lens or bulb whilst dispensing justice.

US cops love the TV shows with the baddies holding handguns sideways because it really screws their accuracy.

Whilst working for the MoW in the Bahamas, I snaffled a 6D torch from a pile of stores that had to be written off because the roof had caved in on it (as well as a 1940s issue gas mask in its pouch). Took it back home and showed it to an ex US marine neighbour who, and since it was the unPC 80s, called it a ni**er knocker. I can imagine the cops having used them for that.

NSP

LE

When I was a student a couple of Plod were in our halls of residence asking if we knew anything about an incident where a student had taken a kicking from the local youth. After the serious bit was out of the way and there was the "well, stay safe, kids - by doing this, this and this" prevention chat I asked why matey-boys BFO Maglite was scuffed to buggery and full of dents.

This was back before extendable batons or the US style baton had been brought in and they still had the traditional hitting stick in the long trouser pocket. "Because it's longer and heavier than my truncheon, lad," was the deadpan reply.

"Because it's longer and heavier than my truncheon, lad,"
1614306083313.png

Chef

LE

It was the 1980s.

Shortly after the affair I was at Armoury House where the HAC live. They have/had a specials detachment. On observing a couple of them setting off on patrol somebody commented

'Off they go, with their Blair Peach radios'.

I think he was a Kiwi, the council offices in Tower Hamlets had some posters of him up on the notice board.