What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

You've mebbe got yer message through to yer man, but I promise you - your "German" spelling will find no favour on Google Translate :thumleft:
It's an excellent example of writing like a native.

Admittedly, one who can't spell.

Yup, I think it might have been actually the pilot episode. It's been quite a while since I've watched the show so I am not sure.
If you remember the pilot you're bound to remember the theme from season 1, the best intro to a cop show since Z Cars.

The thing is for some reason most of my mates didn't get into S&H until the second season (when they moved it to Saturday nights I think). And I couldn't convince them that the show used to have a really brilliant theme tune, not the rubbish that was played then. But of course this was nearly half a century ago and I began to doubt myself that any such "original" theme existed and for that matter I couldn't even remember what it sounded like.

Thank God for YouTube, brings back memories.

Cromarty

War Hero
Another thing, in American TV shows or films whenever a cop or anyone else picks up a handgun they just put a live magazine in and cock the weapon straight away? Why?

So it's ready if you need it.

I saw a yootoob video (which i can't find), that showed a very brave female State Trooper (i think) that got shot in the arm/hand during a traffic stop.

Short version.

Bad guy speeds off and Trooper gives chase. Bad guy pulls over and the Trooper gets out with her AR-15. She gives all the correct commands, etc but.... Her body cam is the perfect position to show there is no magazine in the rifle. Thankfully the gunman didn't want another go at her.

Cromarty

War Hero
How about the rocket pods on aircraft that shoot like a machine gun. Crappy flames shoot out of the missile cells and there is a never ending amount of ammunition.

What's the Bond film with Pierce Brosnan in an L-39, Tomorrow Never Dies?

Or the AIM-9 a2a missile that is used for ground attack as in Tears of the Sun.

Cromarty

War Hero
You can force a live mike though, and I suspect they might have. You can do that with almost any phone setup.

Or, as happened to a couple of my former colleagues, the PTT can stick "open". It was strangely only in our vehicle sets.

The 2 guy were heard (and recorded) giving their opinions on every member of the unit and discussing their search for new jobs. Everyone was trying to call the assigned work mobile to alert them but they were using that to call prospective employers.

Surprisingly they didn't get the sack everyone took their critique well. But the recording made regular appearances especially as a warning to new people.

From then on it was SOP to regularly flick the PTT to get a reassuring blip-blop-bloop to confirm Emcon silent.

If you remember the pilot you're bound to remember the theme from season 1, the best intro to a cop show since Z Cars.

The thing is for some reason most of my mates didn't get into S&H until the second season (when they moved it to Saturday nights I think). And I couldn't convince them that the show used to have a really brilliant theme tune, not the rubbish that was played then. But of course this was nearly half a century ago and I began to doubt myself that any such "original" theme existed and for that matter I couldn't even remember what it sounded like.

Thank God for YouTube, brings back memories.

I remember that

Cromarty

War Hero
The ambulance triage process is just a level of questions that are Yes or No and lead the call handler to ask more specific questions based on your answers.

As certain questions are clicked Yes, then a dispatcher is fed the info, as the call is still going on to prioritise the response. It's not uncommon, in fact it's usual, for units to be on Blues & Two's before the call has ended.

I'll wager you didn't answer the questions properly

Edited to add - There's no real emotion involved in the process, it's all systemic

Were you a 000 call taker in Perth (WA) in the late '90's?

I thought not.

How about the rocket pods on aircraft that shoot like a machine gun. Crappy flames shoot out of the missile cells and there is a never ending amount of ammunition.

What's the Bond film with Pierce Brosnan in an L-39, Tomorrow Never Dies?

Or the AIM-9 a2a missile that is used for ground attack as in Tears of the Sun.
Good job that the MOD never twigged on that you can also succesfully operate a tank with one bloke . :rolleyes:

American police get the special cop build cool car.
The more unorthodox the cop the cooler the car.
McQueen in Bullet being the prime example
Only Columbo went against the norm with a banger

The cop special is bullet proof, explosive proof and can be slid round corners without damaging the tyres.
The bad guy stock motor explodes on impact with the slightest thing.
Again see Bullit the Charger explodes on impact while Steve's Mustang spins off the road and is still in working condition
Ahem Dragnet got the motor pool cars point across

and @Stonker It's an excellent example of writing like a native.
Admittedly, one who can't spell.

Dammit, I honestly typed that on purpose so that a) it wouldn't be reported as a nasty Nazi slogan upsetting our snowflake members. and b) it was Americanized so GB would understand it was a joke. :)
:party:

Dammit, I honestly typed that on purpose so that a) it wouldn't be reported as a nasty Nazi slogan upsetting our snowflake members. and b) it was Americanized so GB would understand it was a joke. :)
:party:
That makes me wonder how our current snowflake generation would react to reading the original Victor or Commando comics?

Yokel

LE
What would you do ?

Whatever the instructors taught me! Surely one can load a hand gun without making it ready? I have never fired one myself but you do not cock a rifle until it is time to make ready.

Surely a handgun is the same? Perhaps TV and film characters do not need to worry about weapon safety?

NSP

LE
Particularly in low budget productions SS officers will have the correct collar badge for their rank but the shoulder straps will be one rank higher (e.g an obersturmfuhrer with the two pips of a hauptsturmfuhrer) or vice versa - possibly due to skimping on technical advisors who know that the pips were changed post-war (to unify with other NATO armies, was it? - one pip for a junior lieutenant, three for a captain, etc... Or to distance the new military from that that fought the war?).

Also, addressing an SS officer or NCO with the Wehrmacht-equivalent rank when using German titles or German speech for German parts - possibly due to use of Nazi things being banned in Germany...?

Whatever the instructors taught me! Surely one can load a hand gun without making it ready? I have never fired one myself but you do not cock a rifle until it is time to make ready.

Surely a handgun is the same? Perhaps TV and film characters do not need to worry about weapon safety?
Interesting question.

I've carried a Browning 9mm Hi Power as a personal protection weapon in NI, wearing civvies (pistol stuck down the back of my waistband) with no formal training for its use in that role (fvckall but basic load/ready/aim/fire/stoppage/unload/show clear) and was never at ease with either of two competing things:
1. That the weapon you might need at a moment's notice to save your life, should not be loaded, cocked and ready to use at all times;​
2. That the weapon you might need at a moment's notice to save your life, was at high risk of accidental discharge if carried loaded, cocked and ready to use at all times.​
Personally, where TV/fillums are concerned, I've always had my doubts about the number of times you see the hard man threatening some bugger else with an automatic pistol, only then to cock the dam' thing to use it in a fight - or (worse yet) to cock the fvcking thing twice or more in the same scene, without firing it thereafter, simply for dramatic effect.

. . . . . without ejecting an unfired round . . . . . :roll:

Latest Threads