Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

Yokel

LE
Wasn’t he shagging Ginger Rogers?

No - that was Fred Astaire. Alright I recognised the wah but... I was going to say Red Adair was a renowned fighter of oil fires from Texas. The point remains - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. People copy things they see on TV without knowing what they are doing, and often injure themselves or others, sometimes badly.

Which rather echoes the older US cop shows where the captain was usually a shouty black guy.

Captain Dobie in "Starsky and Hutch", who ISTR had a weakness for the gee-gee's. The info came from Huggy Bear in the pilot before it settled into familiarity.

EDIT Why I can recall shit like this from the 70's and not any number of actually usefull things in the intervening period I do not know.

Last edited:
I had a poster of that on my wall in 1978.
I was more info sport for my posters
1614109991887.png

Indeed

Most Japanese sword disciplines such as Iaido start with drawing the blade as the first lethal cut. The blade is drawn at speed and the cut directed at the enemy's throat. A second cut follows, aimed at the head.

The next movement is chiburi - shaking the blood from the blade, followed by re-sheating the blade.

All over in a few seconds...
I've seen a very brief video of a Samurai master doing that drill*. Fast, and precise simply don't do it justice.
= = =
* Royal Armouries, Leeds I think was the venue.

I've seen a very brief video of a Samurai master doing that drill*. Fast, and precise simply don't do it justice.
= = =
* Royal Armouries, Leeds I think was the venue.

Don't forget the blades are sharpened to cut like a razor as well...

This chap draws the sword and cuts the second target 4 times in 3 seconds.

We used to do fire extinguisher training when I was on refuelers.
Fireman lights a big tray with about a gallon of fuel in it and invites you to use the extinguisher to put it out.

There you are Gentlemen that's how you fight a fuel fire - questions

You know when one of the planes catches fire why do you need a big fire engine with a cannon on top and 6 of you with hoses to put it out.
Lots of fuel it all needs to be contained blah blah blah

Yet you expect me to tackle 7500 gallons of burning fuel with a 5L fire extinguisher
Do you see where I'm going with this?

Away. Bloody quickly.

Room for improvement there, definitely.
In his defence, he doesn't have any POWs to practice on. Give the man a break!

TAFKA

Old-Salt
In his defence, he doesn't have any POWs to practice on. Give the man a break!
Mrs T's grandfather had a scar on the back of his neck as a souvenir from his time as a 'guest' of the Japanese in Changi. I'm not sure whether the sword was blunt, the guard incompetent or it was merely a warning. On the plus side he did get to meet Ronald Searle.

syrup

LE
Why do senior UK (and maybe US, I don't really watch any) police use their own cars?

Like Vera with the beaten up blue defender 90 (and for the anoraks, it's been converted to an auto, but they use a manual for interior shots)
Morse with his maroon Jaaaaag
Think Barnaby uses a proper pool car as it tends to have blues on.
The bay (I think it was, SWMBO was watching it the other week), police woman drive her own old Volvo

I'm sure there's more.

American police get the special cop build cool car.
The more unorthodox the cop the cooler the car.
McQueen in Bullet being the prime example
Only Columbo went against the norm with a banger

The cop special is bullet proof, explosive proof and can be slid round corners without damaging the tyres.
The bad guy stock motor explodes on impact with the slightest thing.
Again see Bullit the Charger explodes on impact while Steve's Mustang spins off the road and is still in working condition

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Lots of it in modern films and t.v. also

In We were soldiers when they call broken arrow it's footage from 3 or 4 different films.
A lot of the time the U.S. Navy helpfully puts fleet numbers on the nose of the aircraft so 114 takes off 167 flies along 172 lands.

And the artillery doesn't stop while the jets bomb from extremely low level right over the attack helicopters.

Latest Threads