Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Any police procedural/crime thriller movie set in the UK has a CID department staffed entirely by Detective So-and-so's and/or Officer Whoisit's. There's never a DI, DS or newly-hatched DC (dicked to get the brews sorted).

Are you serious? There are loads of them. Anything set anywhere other than a rural village.

NSP

LE
I know - was that before or after 2000? Why did they do it? Was there a problem with people seeing black, cream, blue, or green extinguishers and not recognising them?
As best I could tell it was Brussels having to - just simply having to - make their mark on absolutely everything. Plus maybe a bit of bashing the upstarts across the water (us). I reckon that if we'd standardised on all-red extinguishers they'd have ruled that there should be a pan-EU standard colour-coding for them based on contents.

:rolleyes:

syrup

LE
Surely one of the problems these days is that people pick up fire extinguishers and think that they are Red Adair! The average fire extinguisher lasts for what? A minute? Also when foam extinguishers are used on the TV are they used properly? Or do they wave them around and chase the flames?

Do the normal laws of heat transfer apply in films?

We used to do fire extinguisher training when I was on refuelers.
Fireman lights a big tray with about a gallon of fuel in it and invites you to use the extinguisher to put it out.

There you are Gentlemen that's how you fight a fuel fire - questions

You know when one of the planes catches fire why do you need a big fire engine with a cannon on top and 6 of you with hoses to put it out.
Lots of fuel it all needs to be contained blah blah blah

Yet you expect me to tackle 7500 gallons of burning fuel with a 5L fire extinguisher
Do you see where I'm going with this?

I called an ambulance for a fella in his late 40's, split his head, lots of blood but conscious and talking. Unfortunately it was ambo shift change and did i think it was serious enough to divert the knocking off crew?

No idea i says and go through the incident again, injury description and give an update on his condition.

Call taker decides to wait until the new shift come online. So we wait. Ambulance shows up eventually and i get a bollicking for not making it more urgent. Turns out i was "too calm" on the phone.

Jeez, can't do bloody anything right!

The ambulance triage process is just a level of questions that are Yes or No and lead the call handler to ask more specific questions based on your answers.

As certain questions are clicked Yes, then a dispatcher is fed the info, as the call is still going on to prioritise the response. It's not uncommon, in fact it's usual, for units to be on Blues & Two's before the call has ended.

I'll wager you didn't answer the questions properly

Edited to add - There's no real emotion involved in the process, it's all systemic

Last edited:

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Still issued to the cavalry in 1914 (and used in action).

Australian Light Horse used SMLE bayonets from horseback in 1918 in Palestine IIRC as the swords had been withdrawn.

Swords last used in action by the British Army at Huj in 1917 during a mounted charge by the Warwickshire Yeomanry and Worcestershire Yeomanry...

Lady_Butlers_Charge_at_Huj.jpg

Details here... Charge!

4th Light Horse Brigade - Australian Mounted Division, Beersheba, 31 October 1917.

Hit me with so many uppercuts I'd be suspended in mid air.
That made me laugh and reminded me of a certain Sgt Major Ryan who yelled at me to stop laughing at a funny comment HE had made to ME. " If you don't stop laughing I'll punch you so ******* hard you will orbit the earth and land right back on my fist for a second tour."

diesel_jim

Swinger
Why do senior UK (and maybe US, I don't really watch any) police use their own cars?

Like Vera with the beaten up blue defender 90 (and for the anoraks, it's been converted to an auto, but they use a manual for interior shots)
Morse with his maroon Jaaaaag
Think Barnaby uses a proper pool car as it tends to have blues on.
The bay (I think it was, SWMBO was watching it the other week), police woman drive her own old Volvo

I'm sure there's more.

TamH70

MIA
Why do senior UK (and maybe US, I don't really watch any) police use their own cars?

Like Vera with the beaten up blue defender 90 (and for the anoraks, it's been converted to an auto, but they use a manual for interior shots)
The bay (I think it was, SWMBO was watching it the other week), police woman drive her own old Volvo

I'm sure there's more.
It gets worse than that - Starsky and Hutch used Starsky's red body with a white flash Ford Gran Torino on undercover police operations more often than Hutch's brown sedan of indeterminate make.

At least Lieutenant Columbo's Peugeot coupe was a bland as anything browny-beige colour.

Chef

LE

I'm sure there's more.
New Tricks , the OC of the team, the only serving copper (Amanda Holden then Tamzin Outhwaite*) in it always tooled around in her own car.

'Maigret' has duty cars for him to be driven around in.

*Bringing up a second police point: Since the days of 'Prime Suspect it is a fact that all female police officers are excellent leaders, superb at their job and often held back or frustrated by over promoted male superiors. The new version of 'Van der Valk' changed his boss to a competent woman. Which rather echoes the older US cop shows where the captain was usually a shouty black guy.

syrup

LE
It gets worse than that - Starsky and Hutch used Starsky's red body with a white flash Ford Gran Torino on undercover police operations more often than Hutch's brown sedan of indeterminate make.

At least Lieutenant Columbo's Peugeot coupe was a bland as anything browny-beige colour.

Isn't there a Starsky and Hutch episode where the Mafia / criminals are shooting up Red and White Torino's to get to our hero's

Isn't there a Starsky and Hutch episode where the Mafia / criminals are shooting up Red and White Torino's to get to our hero's
Unbeknownst to the viewing audience this particular Gran Torino was fitted with 4" thick armor plate, RPG & 7.62 bullet proof windows, and ballistic absorbing plether seats.
1614101507377.png

TamH70

MIA
Yup, I think it might have been actually the pilot episode. It's been quite a while since I've watched the show so I am not sure.

Latest Threads