Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

Yokel

LE
again with the signing the OSA,

blah blah, nobody signs it but they may have to sign to indicate awareness of it, rant, grrr etc

My point is that the media feeds the misconception that it only applies to you if you sign the form. On the screen it is always referred to as 'signing the Official Secrets Act'. That was my objection.

Picture the scene, hospital waiting room full of family awaiting the news of a relative who's under the knife at that moment, surgeon appears through door after completing said surgery, gives the good news that he's been repaired and will make a full recovery, family ask to see him, surgeon says "yes fine, he's through there, he might be a bit groggy though". Family arrive in room to see patient fully concious, conversant and probably eating a strawberry Jello (other deserts are available). Now, don't get me wrong, but either they aren't giving the guy enough anaesthetic and he's come round straight from being in theatre or the surgeon has taken his own sweet time to tell the family that he's ok, maybe stopping off to shag the fit nurse or have a 3 course lunch, because the last time I had an op, I was still under around 2 hours after completion.

Also nobody passes wind when coming round post operation.

Picture the scene, hospital waiting room full of family awaiting the news of a relative who's under the knife at that moment, surgeon appears through door after completing said surgery, gives the good news that he's been repaired and will make a full recovery, family ask to see him, surgeon says "yes fine, he's through there, he might be a bit groggy though". Family arrive in room to see patient fully concious, conversant and probably eating a strawberry Jello (other deserts are available). Now, don't get me wrong, but either they aren't giving the guy enough anaesthetic and he's come round straight from being in theatre or the surgeon has taken his own sweet time to tell the family that he's ok, maybe stopping off to shag the fit nurse or have a 3 course lunch, because the last time I had an op, I was still under around 2 hours after completion.

After 1 operation I did come round pretty quickly. It was an experimental drug at the time though.

Mmmm, minty drugs. Zonk!

TAFKA

Old-Salt
Having fenced (sabre and epee), five minutes is exhausting as you're carrying your weight on the leg muscles and not using the skeleton for support. Hits are best made as quickly as possible before fatigue and errors put you in a losing situation. In a real fight, first hits would be to put the opponent in shock or try to bleed him out before trying for the fatal blow.

In a real fight the first hit would be a C Stores peasant running a 10 foot spear through the bloke attacking with a 3 foot sword.

Mel Gibson isn't Australian.
You are quite correct, sorry.

I'm pretty sure that Mel Gibson told the whole fucking world that he's Scottish,

The lying Aussie Septic winger

You are quite correct, sorry.

I'm pretty sure that Mel Gibson told the whole fucking world that he's Scottish,

The lying Aussie Septic winger
He has Irish and US citizenship, he lives in Australia. I think the only time he ever "told the world" he was Scottish was in a movie, in which he acted as a Scotsman.

You have a hardon for the Jews don't you. No guesses for your favourite politician.
No not really, it just irks me that they have to bring it up even when it has diddly shit to do with the story.

Oh, and your politician guess would be 100% wrong ;-)
Different Continent, different set of ideals.

The lying Aussie winger.

Wrong, on at least two counts. Firstly, I'm unaware that Gibson ever played on the wing, in any code of football, although he did do a bit of running in 'Gallipoli'. Secondly, he's not now, nor has he ever been, an Australian citizen.

'Gibson was born in Peekskill, New York, the sixth of eleven children, and the second son of Hutton Gibson, a writer, and Irish-born Anne Patricia (née Reilly, died 1990).[10][11] Gibson's paternal grandmother was opera contralto Eva Mylott (1875–1920), who was born in Australia, to Irish parents,[12] while his paternal grandfather, John Hutton Gibson, of English, Scottish and Welsh descent, was a millionaire tobacco businessman from the American South.[13][14] One of Gibson's younger brothers, Donal, is also an actor. Gibson stated his first name is derived from St Mel's Cathedral, the fifth-century Irish saint, and founder of Gibson's mother's local native diocese, Ardagh.[15] His second name, Colmcille,[16] is also shared by an Irish saint,[17] and is the name of the Aughnacliffe parish in County Longford where Gibson's mother was born and raised. Because of his mother, Gibson retains dual Irish and American citizenship.[18] Gibson is also an Australian permanent resident.'

Last edited:
In any film not set in the US but intended to make it's main coin from the US market everything is Americanised because the Spams are too thick to understand that in, say, the UK a police department constabulary is not organised the way it is in the US and that investigators, whilst being detectives, are not called "detective," "lieutenant" and "captain" but "detective constable," "detective sergeant," detective inspector," and so on. I found the "Metropolitan Precinct" sign on the wall behind the "Chief of Police" (not Commissioner) making a statement to the press on the steps up into the main entrance of "Scotland Yard" in one such London-based movie particularly amusing.

In the film The Sweeney, the hero Regan, after ballsing up is asked by his boss for 'his gun and his badge'

Latest Threads