Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

It's worse than that - there's plenty of movies where the cuts of the heroes/"cavalry to the rescue" flight from external close-up to long-shot and back feature entirely different aircraft types.
Ah yes... badass climbs into a Jet Ranger to escape, good guys chase and shoot at/launch missile at it, and it magically turns into a Hughes 500 before it explodes.
(...probably because R/C H500s are widely available and have plenty of space inside for pyro...)

Boxy

GCM
Huh. You learn something new every day!

I guess it wasn't that strongly researched for that bit. Or a chunk of creative liberty! The book still has her in bits for quite some time afterward and it is less of a "hold your breath and jump" scene.
The show had her in bits as well, she is shown having trouble gripping and holding things among other difficulties

It's worse than that - there's plenty of movies where the cuts of the heroes/"cavalry to the rescue" flight from external close-up to long-shot and back feature entirely different aircraft types.
From black and white TV days, it might have been Ironside (or Hawaii Five-O)?

Whenever a character made a civilian flight they always showed the same clip of an aircraft undercarriage as it took off or landed.

Twin wheels on a stubby leg on four corners of the fuselage.

I'm sure it was a B52.

edit..
Looks like the same clip featured on other shows.
Screenshot_20210123-103815~2.png

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Ah yes... badass climbs into a Jet Ranger to escape, good guys chase and shoot at/launch missile at it, and it magically turns into a Hughes 500 before it explodes.
(...probably because R/C H500s are widely available and have plenty of space inside for pyro...)
Probably why the baddies' chopper of choice in every episode of Airwolf was invariably a '500...

Wow. One of the best examples of this just now on 'Travelers' (Netflix). Traveler/FBI Agent returns home to change blood-soaked shirt after saving city from nuclear explosion. Bitchwife asks where he's been; "...Saving city from nuclear explosion...". Bitchwife purses lips; "of course you were. They just cancelled the evacuation alert. Get what you need, get changed and go." "What? ... just because I couldn't remember what happened 17 years ago" (first meeting at beauty spot on lake) Her: "you know what I really threw away; the chance to have a life with John (who failed to turn up to a date at beauty spot on lake 17 years ago).

Sigh.

Wow. One of the best examples of this just now on 'Travelers' (Netflix). Traveler/FBI Agent returns home to change blood-soaked shirt after saving city from nuclear explosion. Bitchwife asks where he's been; "...Saving city from nuclear explosion...". Bitchwife purses lips; "of course you were. They just cancelled the evacuation alert. Get what you need, get changed and go." "What? ... just because I couldn't remember what happened 17 years ago" (first meeting at beauty spot on lake) Her: "you know what I really threw away; the chance to have a life with John (who failed to turn up to a date at beauty spot on lake 17 years ago).

Sigh.
TBH that happens in real life too, I spent a long time traveling all over North America working on trade show installs, all expenses paid and making decent coin. The wife bitched and moaned about being stuck at home while I was going on holiday every other week or so. For some strange reason the bitching got worse if the jobs were in :sunny:Florida, New Orleans, Las Vegas, or California.

TAFKA

Old-Salt
TBH that happens in real life too, I spent a long time traveling all over North America working on trade show installs, all expenses paid and making decent coin. The wife bitched and moaned about being stuck at home while I was going on holiday every other week or so. For some strange reason the bitching got worse if the jobs were in :sunny:Florida, New Orleans, Las Vegas, or California.

I used to get the same.

'Oh it's okay for you away with all your mates while I'm stuck at home looking after the pets with all the housework...'

A few years later she started working for a company with its headquarters in Bavaria and had to spend a few months there.

'Oh it's okay for you at home with all our stuff around and the pets to keep you company...'

When she got back it was back to whinge no 1.

Issi

War Hero
How do they get the continuity so wrong on so many films/TV shows?

Picks up a blue cup and then puts down a red one.
Has a green coat in one shot and then a black one in the next.

Do they stop for lunch, and while they’re off eating, somebody comes along and tidies the set up, and they all forget what they were doing when they come back?

OK, I see the need to move the story along, but does nobody leave the action for a while because of a night on the lash and a curry leaves them delicate and need to stay within 90 seconds of porcelain? Keep it real.

I used to get the same.

'Oh it's okay for you away with all your mates while I'm stuck at home looking after the pets with all the housework...'

A few years later she started working for a company with its headquarters in Bavaria and had to spend a few months there.

'Oh it's okay for you at home with all our stuff around and the pets to keep you company...'

When she got back it was back to whinge no 1.
When she got back, how deep were the empty beer cans and pizza boxes?

Chef

LE
Earlier observations that every military camp will have a tank driving by, squads out doing PT, low flying helicopters and an assault course just by the accommodation.

Any Napoleonic camp will have a couple of cannon and some spare cavalry trotting by.

In other items aside from keeping underwear on in bed all modern beds come with 'L' shaped bed clothes the reach to the man's belly but all the way up to the woman's neck.

How do they get the continuity so wrong on so many films/TV shows?

Picks up a blue cup and then puts down a red one.
Has a green coat in one shot and then a black one in the next.

Do they stop for lunch, and while they’re off eating, somebody comes along and tidies the set up, and they all forget what they were doing when they come back?
On the Graham Norton TV show, the guests all have big glasses full of wine when they start.

Just before they break to the next shot, the glasses are all 3 parts empty.

In the next shot, they're all brim full.

It keeps happening throughout every show . .

Slackest continuity I've ever seen.

Astonished the show's so funny . . .

On the Graham Norton TV show, the guests all have big glasses full of wine when they start.

Just before they break to the next shot, the glasses are all 3 parts empty.

In the next shot, they're all brim full.

It keeps happening throughout every show . .

Slackest continuity I've ever seen.

Astonished the show's so funny . . .
Did a Friday Night Now recording years ago about a bunch of us who met in a wine bar each week for trivia and copping off with the opposite sex. An hour before recording a gopher showed up with a dozen opened bottles of wine, winked at us and buggered off. I guess it is a common 'production value'.

Latest Threads