What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

No kidnapped child is ever ugly.

pinback2001

War Hero
Also the female always pulls the sheets up to cover her t*ts. They’ve just been going at it like a pair of sex starved nympho chimps all night, no doubt scoring in every orifice and ending with a man custard facial, but all of a sudden she gets embarrassed about flashing her t*ts.
Post shag when the man gets out of bed he's wearing his boxers. WTF is that all about then?

I've never seen one in real life, but do hand grenades explode in a fireball?
Nope, generally just a puff of black smoke. If you're unlucky enough to be close, you may see a brief orange flash but you're likely to be more concerned with your sudden collection of piercings.

Except Michael Mann

[/QUOTE.

Have you seen the ammo expenditure of de Niro and Kilmer in the heat shootout?

Ok I was generalising and there are exceptions. Black hawk down also included some reasonable examples of semi auto. Generally the better the film, the better the drills

Last edited:

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Nobody ever seems to catch their pocket on a door handle - you know, like I do most days in real life. Course, that could just be me...

Bad guys always smoke, good guys don't.

Abandoned cars always have the keys left under the sun visors.

Every estranged father is always a bad father trying to do good. It's never the mum who is a psychopathic, unhinged control freak - you know, like in real life.

When the good guy has a female in tow who he's protecting from the bad guy, after telling her to keep quiet and stay put and don't move while he checks things out. You just know she's not going to listen and she'll get herself captured by the bad guy creating more problems for the good guy.
I think you'll find that reflects life.....;)

No one uses a mouse when working a computer. It’s always tippy-tippy on a keyboard, even for the most complex tasks.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you seen the ammo expenditure of de Niro and Kilmer in the heat shootout?

Ok I was generalising and there are exceptions. Black hawk down also included some reasonable examples of semi auto. Generally the better the film, the better the drills
Yes, but they do change magazines when you'd expect, as does Tiny Tom in the night club.

Yes, but they do change magazines when you'd expect, as does Tiny Tom in the night club.
They do indeed and in the shootout, their weight of firepower overwhelms the police response, underlining their ruthlessness, planning and situational response, which I’m sure is what Michael Mann wished to portray. I’m more on about the firing from the hip, not in cover, uncannily accurate, never ending magazine situations you see on many of the less cerebral films.

"When did <baddie> get out of jail/disappear/leave his job?"

It's ALWAYS "about 6 months ago"

Computers cold boot in 3 seconds

No "technical expert" ever uses a mouse, they just perform a billion keystrokes, and the screen always looks like this:

Capture.PNG

(GEEKtyper.com - Secure Contain Protect just hit random keys)

The product placement can be quite funny: in "White Collar", Neil and Peter are following a bad guy. They need to park up and follow up on foot. Neil says "Find a space, quick!" Peter says "Why Neil, this is a Ford Taurus, it will park itself." And sure enough, the Taurus finds a space and parks itself up, with attendant shots of the interior and exterior. You can see the two actors barely holding their shit together, trying not to laugh.

Here's another clip from the same show

In shows set in the past, the cars are from the year the show is set in (that is, no cars that would be ten years old) and 99% are in tip top condition. I get that the cars are probably obtained from enthusiasts but at least get them dirty, or make them look careworn.
Which is why there are, in 80s dramas, streets full of Saabs, Volvos and minter Capris!
I'm sure everything else from that time has rusted.

Oh, and notice how anybody shot with anything larger than a peashooter always gets blown backwards about 10 yards, through a plate glass window or into a pile of boxes.

I've never seen one in real life, but do hand grenades explode in a fireball?
Have you learned nothing from the movies? Forget that the velocity of detonation of most high explosives is in the 7000 m/s range, it’s apparently quite possible for our hero (and the bird) to run away from the resulting fireball that expands at a rate slower than my BFT time...

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Any soldier in any war film who shows a photo of his sweetheart/family is a 100% certain to get killed.

DITA

MIA
Ah it's not just American cars. In Where Eagles Dare when Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood rolled a kubelwagen down a mountainside, halfway down it burst into flames then exploded. Planes on the airfield also burst into flames and exploded when they were given a bump on the tail with a kubelwagen
Pretty sure it was the school bus with the snow plough blade?

Anyway, back on topic:

Every manual gear boxed car has about twenty gears in it when being chased/racing.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Nobody ever seems to catch their pocket on a door handle - you know, like I do most days in real life. Course, that could just be me...

Bad guys always smoke, good guys don't.

Abandoned cars always have the keys left under the sun visors.

Every estranged father is always a bad father trying to do good. It's never the mum who is a psychopathic, unhinged control freak - you know, like in real life.
I bet.you always catch your pocket/belt loop/other on a door handle when you're already pissed off and in a hurry?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
No one uses a mouse when working a computer. It’s always tippy-tippy on a keyboard, even for the most complex tasks.
And also, every time a new window is opened or moved on a screen or ANYTHING is done, there is a blip, beep or a 'diggydiggydiggy' noise like Pacman having an orgy. None of the nearby colleagues turns round and screams "will you switch the sound off on that shagging PC?"

Latest Threads