What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

Nobody ever picks up a weapon from the armoury, I've never once seen a collumator and nobody zero's in their weapon.

I always see bad guys in films as beefed up tattooed snarling aggresive bullies over 6ft. They stand out like sore thumbs, I'd like to see a film where the bad buys are numerous and anonymous, maybe not actually seeing them would be great adding to the suspense.

Nobody ever picks up a weapon from the armoury, I've never once seen a collumator and nobody zero's in their weapon.

I always see bad guys in films as beefed up tattooed snarling aggresive bullies over 6ft. They stand out like sore thumbs, I'd like to see a film where the bad buys are numerous and anonymous, maybe not actually seeing them would be great adding to the suspense.

A pedant writes:

'Collimator'

fin

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nobody ever picks up a weapon from the armoury,

loads of films have a long line of people collecting weapons from a rack, just handed out to the next person.

1. where are the half dozen parades before standing at the armoury for 30 minutes before it opens?
2. what, no signatures?
3. we don't see anyone attempting to hand weapons back in while the armourer claims to be able to see invisible carbon (such as the lying twat who claimed we had carbon on the brand new A1's we'd only been issued for skill at arms lessons prior to range days)
4. coppers (who have been playing by their own rules etc) are "asked" for their badge and gun, rarely is it ever unloaded or checked, just bunged in the drawer (by Alec Baldwin)

loads of films have a long line of people collecting weapons from a rack, just handed out to the next person.

1. where are the half dozen parades before standing at the armoury for 30 minutes before it opens?
2. what, no signatures?
3. we don't see anyone attempting to hand weapons back in while the armourer claims to be able to see invisible carbon (such as the lying twat who claimed we had carbon on the brand new A1's we'd only been issued for skill at arms lessons prior to range days)
4. coppers (who have been playing by their own rules etc) are "asked" for their badge and gun, rarely is it ever unloaded or checked, just bunged in the drawer (by Alec Baldwin)
Point 1. So much Point 1.
We must have been in the same unit!
Pre parades were a specialty.

syrup

LE
Same thing happened during the filming of "The Flight of the Phoenix", original version. That plane that the cast "built" over the course of the film was actually taken up in a of series of flights, by the aerial coordinator, a guy called Frank Tallman, l believe.

After a few takes the plane either broke up in the air, or a wing spar snapped, and it crashed at speed, killing the pilot on impact with the ground.

Needless to say, when they did that recent remake with Dennis Quaid, et al, all the flying scenes were CGI.

Paul Mantz was the guy killed in Flight of the Phoenix.
He was reportedly the first guy to fit water tanks to bombers for firefighting from the air.

Three of his pallbearers were Jimmy Doolittle, Chuck Yeager and James Stewart

syrup

LE
Executive Decision had a scene where the bad guy sprayed the cockpit from outside with an uzi, somehow killing both pilots but not hitting a single instrument. Then Kurt Russells character lands the plane because he had been learning to fly single engine cessnas.

I remember Mythbusters took a crack at the "Someone with video game flying skills can land a plane in real life" but I can't remember the outcome of it.

Ahem (although technically they didn't land it)

second-jetliners-terrorists-al-Qaeda-smoke-billows-crash-Sept-11-2001.jpg

NSP

LE
In supernatural films at some point the possessed person/one of the possessed will be found crawling across the ceiling or lurking up on a wall in the corner of the room.

In westerns, the would-be settlers heading west almost invariably have American accents.

And when they finally settle into their homestead, they never have a pasty, scouse or pan haggerty for tea.

NSP

LE
They should build APCs and IFVs from the polymer that they make the interior trim of movie car doors out of - they'd be a lot lighter but retain the resistance to projectile penetration that the thicker armour plate that they are currently made from possesses.

Last edited:
They should build APCs and IFVs from the sheet steel they make the interior trim of movie car doors out of - they'd be a lot lighter but retain the resistance to projectile penetration that the thicker armour plate that they are currently made from possesses.
If they made them out of corrugated sheet, the projectiles could be returned to sender.

They should build APCs and IFVs from the polymer that they make the interior trim of movie car doors out of - they'd be a lot lighter but retain the resistance to projectile penetration that the thicker armour plate that they are currently made from possesses.
If they made them out of corrugated sheet, the projectiles could be returned to sender.
Coat any battle wagon with Politician's skin and they will survive any kind of incoming missile or sh1t thrown at them.

I remember Mythbusters took a crack at the "Someone with video game flying skills can land a plane in real life" but I can't remember the outcome of it.
It wasn't about "computer games skills" it was about whether someone with no previous flying experience could be talked down by an experienced pilot over the radio. They basically tried it first unassisted in a simulator and both crashed (although Savage got further, possibly due to having played games) and then with someone telling them what to do with both succeeding.
Apparently the pilot giving the instruction found it incredibly stressful.

It wasn't about "computer games skills" it was about whether someone with no previous flying experience could be talked down by an experienced pilot over the radio. They basically tried it first unassisted in a simulator and both crashed (although Savage got further, possibly due to having played games) and then with someone telling them what to do with both succeeding.
Apparently the pilot giving the instruction found it incredibly stressful.
They did the same with the World Champion Rally driving , on a computer gamer . He was shite in a real car.

They did the same with the World Champion Rally driving , on a computer gamer . He was shite in a real car.
About a decade back, the computer game folk (probably playstation?) and Peugeot had a great idea, to do a 24Hrs of Le Mans at the local track... for video gamers.
Bloody impressive, with a pantechnicon arriving, doing a 'Transformer' stunt, and providing a shedload of 'suites' where the gaming youth could pile in, all according to LM24 rules.
There were 10 teams all racing against each other, IIRC, and the big 'master' system kept it very real.
Anyhats, during the day, we were taking some of the kids round the track in various Peugeot models, and a few Ferraris, Porkers etc.
I was roped in to do some Pug driving, and the youth were quite amazed at how much G they were subjected to when I was pedalling hard... and that was a 'sporty' road car.
The Ferrari/Porker passengers got quite queasy, I believe.

About a decade back, the computer game folk (probably playstation?) and Peugeot had a great idea, to do a 24Hrs of Le Mans at the local track... for video gamers.
Bloody impressive, with a pantechnicon arriving, doing a 'Transformer' stunt, and providing a shedload of 'suites' where the gaming youth could pile in, all according to LM24 rules.
There were 10 teams all racing against each other, IIRC, and the big 'master' system kept it very real.
Anyhats, during the day, we were taking some of the kids round the track in various Peugeot models, and a few Ferraris, Porkers etc.
I was roped in to do some Pug driving, and the youth were quite amazed at how much G they were subjected to when I was pedalling hard... and that was a 'sporty' road car.
The Ferrari/Porker passengers got quite queasy, I believe.

Hence why TWOCers from that demographic are in the news with depressing regularity, having run out of 'skill' a nano-second before they run out of road.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I wish somebody would explain to the MSM and the Covid community that the current variant is Omicron (pronounced Oh me cron) not Ommicron or worse Omnicron (which sounds to me like Greek for All the time, which describes nicely how often I hear it).