What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

I have had to stare at lots of drawings in my life as I make stuff for a living, Now I don't know if that makes me tend to notice mistakes or continuity mess ups more, or if I am on the spectum......

Anyhow they ruin the scene for me, as per in say even a massive budget film like Schindler's List when Ben Kingsley is going to get it in the neck (literally!) for not making enough hinges....A major scene in the film.

If you ignore the nonsense with the non feeding P08 and other small self loader, ie. constant cocking, nowt ejected etc. etc.

When he walks off the small auto has somehow been transformed into a Military and Police / M1917 / Colt or similar revolver, he tosses it and his mates pick it up and start waving it about even.

I get they may have filmed it on two different occasions, but people get a lot of dosh to get this simple stuff right.

Apart from these sorts of things the usual wrong engine sounds, tyres screeching on gravel, no ammo pouches and another favorite these days, the constant cocking of pump shotguns in scenes every time they are waved about or to stress the threat of using one etc.
You're right he twats him on the head with the vz27 and the pistol dropped is clearly (now you've brought it up) a revolver.

It wasn't Ben Kingsley though. ;)

download (7).jpg

ETA: Beaten to it by @Nemesis44UK
I bet he stole the chicken as well.

If the main characters are shot in the chest they will survive. Minor characters take a grazing wound to the shoulder and spark out.
See Yellowstone.

S4 opens with the 3 main Character's surving a) A massive indoor explosion, b) an attack by assualt rifles, and c) an ambush (?). Cue a ga-billion round retaliaton firefight wherein non of the goodies get a scratch but the perps all die.

It was sooo bad I had to watch it 4 times, 3 of them with the surround bar cranked up.

Not to mention the DH82s in German markings.
they had a mixture of modified Tiger Moths, Stampes and a custom built Pfalz III replica. You couldn't do it nowadays. The IAA and CAA would have heart attacks at some of the mods and "field repairs" done during the making of the three WW 1 films in Ireland. The Blue Max, Darling Lili and Von Richtofen and Brown.

they had a mixture of modified Tiger Moths, Stampes and a custom built Pfalz III replica. You couldn't do it nowadays. The IAA and CAA would have heart attacks at some of the mods and "field repairs" done during the making of the three WW 1 films in Ireland. The Blue Max, Darling Lili and Von Richtofen and Brown.
CGI would play a part these days.
Or - as we've seen in EVERY WW2 movie, they'd just clamp an extra wing onto a Harvard...

Without checking, I seem to recall an air accident wherein the cine photographer was killed on ' The Blue Max' ?

TamH70

MIA
Without checking, I seem to recall an air accident wherein the cine photographer was killed on ' The Blue Max' ?
Same thing happened during the filming of "The Flight of the Phoenix", original version. That plane that the cast "built" over the course of the film was actually taken up in a of series of flights, by the aerial coordinator, a guy called Frank Tallman, l believe.

After a few takes the plane either broke up in the air, or a wing spar snapped, and it crashed at speed, killing the pilot on impact with the ground.

Needless to say, when they did that recent remake with Dennis Quaid, et al, all the flying scenes were CGI.

Same thing happened during the filming of "The Flight of the Phoenix", original version. That plane that the cast "built" over the course of the film was actually taken up in a of series of flights, by the aerial coordinator, a guy called Frank Tallman, l believe.

After a few takes the plane either broke up in the air, or a wing spar snapped, and it crashed at speed, killing the pilot on impact with the ground.

Needless to say, when they did that recent remake with Dennis Quaid, et al, all the flying scenes were CGI.
The pilot who died flying the “ Phoenix” was Paul Mantz, a famous stunt pilot who had been in the business since the 1920s.

TamH70

MIA
The pilot who died flying the “ Phoenix” was Paul Mantz, a famous stunt pilot who had been in the business since the 1920s.

Thanks for that. I wasn't quite sure of his name, but I was sure that whoever the poor sod was, he got killed during the film's production.

Thanks for that. I wasn't quite sure of his name, but I was sure that whoever the poor sod was, he got killed during the film's production.
Frank Tallman, who you mention, was also a stunt pilot and business associate of Mantz. Tallman died when he crashed a light aircraft in bad weather in the late ‘70s.
As a matter of interest, it was Mantz who flew the B-17 in 12 o’ Clock High for the famous belly landing opening scene (where a wing takes out a ground crew tent IIRC)

The rest of the scene ( the dying pilot with an exposed brain, and the shot off arm of the flight engineer/top turret gunner) is based on the real-life case of John “Red” Morgan, co-pilot, who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Impractical repurposing of transport. For example, Executive Decision just came up in Netflix. The team racing to intercept and board an in-flight hijacked B747 are riding in the space behind the cockpit of an F-117. Y'know - the rather small, steeply tapering area between the engines that's full of electronics modules, fuel bladders and weapons bays....

Similarly, apart from The Beast and Valley of Tears, all tank turret interiors are ballroom-like in size and spare space, and lack the clutter of controls, sights and kit.

Impractical repurposing of transport. For example, Executive Decision just came up in Netflix. The team racing to intercept and board an in-flight hijacked B747 are riding in the space behind the cockpit of an F-117. Y'lnow - the rather small, steeply tapering area between the engines that's full of electronics modules, fuel bladders and weapons bays....

Similarly, apart from The Beast and Valley of Tears, all tank turret interiors are catheral-like in size and spare space.
Watched the beginning of ‘Renegades’ last night. SEALs steal a tank to escape, driving round Sarajevo shooting up the baddies with the main armament, then drive off a bridge into a (deep) river, strap on rebreathers, pop the hatches and swim to safety. I gave up then and watched the rugby instead.

NSP

LE
Watched the beginning of ‘Renegades’ last night. SEALs steal a tank to escape, driving round Sarajevo shooting up the baddies with the main armament, then drive off a bridge into a (deep) river, strap on rebreathers, pop the hatches and swim to safety. I gave up then and watched the rugby instead.
Similar farce to the A-Team "flying" an MBT with an improbably spacious interior by using the MA and Newtons third law. Because something like an Abrams will be routinely transported both by air and with a full load of live ordnance...??

Impractical repurposing of transport. For example, Executive Decision just came up in Netflix. The team racing to intercept and board an in-flight hijacked B747 are riding in the space behind the cockpit of an F-117. Y'know - the rather small, steeply tapering area between the engines that's full of electronics modules, fuel bladders and weapons bays....

Similarly, apart from The Beast and Valley of Tears, all tank turret interiors are ballroom-like in size and spare space, and lack the clutter of controls, sights and kit.
The beast or beast of war as it’s sometimes listed as, very underrated film.

TamH70

MIA
Similar farce to the A-Team "flying" an MBT with an improbably spacious interior by using the MA and Newtons third law. Because something like an Abrams will be routinely transported both by air and with a full load of live ordnance...??

Small point of order to your eminently good post, if I may? The vehicle was an M8 AGS, I believe.