What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

E2lBl_zXoAAENjq.jpg

WW2 films have evolved over the years in terms of accuracy.
Up until the nineties, German troops were almost always shown in immaculate early war issued kit with mandatory jackboots and gas mask cases, arms were always Kar 98’s and MP40’s, even in campaigns set late in the war. Nowadays, there is more of the ad hoc kampfgruppe look about the depictions and the uniforms and arms show the evolutions such as ankle boots, gaiters and STG 44’s and G43’s.
I’ll be really impressed when I start seeing foreign volunteer arm shields and cuff bands. Quite a few foreign elements of the German forces fought on until the end.
Don't forget the multiplicity of MP40s. Hollywood thinks every German soldier had one. At least in "Cross of Iron", Steiner had a PPsh-41 and his men looked like tramps.

In sci-fi movies sound clearly travels through a vacuum.
Well, the sound of slipstream passing over the spacecraft's wings certainly does.

That noise was presumably the sound of millions of voices suddenly crying out in outrage, "The Laws of Physics, you cnuts!" and being silenced.

You'd think they'd have drawn conclusions from the fact that their only notable victory was on a snow-covered planet and looked up the word 'camouflage.'

Their AARs must be shit.

H&S also: See Deathstar Gunners position. No Handrails or barriers.

... and the Drill. I feel faint.

Bordon/hants

Old-Salt
I have had to stare at lots of drawings in my life as I make stuff for a living, Now I don't know if that makes me tend to notice mistakes or continuity mess ups more, or if I am on the spectum......

Anyhow they ruin the scene for me, as per in say even a massive budget film like Schindler's List when Ben Kingsley is going to get it in the neck (literally!) for not making enough hinges....A major scene in the film.

If you ignore the nonsense with the non feeding P08 and other small self loader, ie. constant cocking, nowt ejected etc. etc.

When he walks off the small auto has somehow been transformed into a Military and Police / M1917 / Colt or similar revolver, he tosses it and his mates pick it up and start waving it about even.

I get they may have filmed it on two different occasions, but people get a lot of dosh to get this simple stuff right.

Apart from these sorts of things the usual wrong engine sounds, tyres screeching on gravel, no ammo pouches and another favorite these days, the constant cocking of pump shotguns in scenes every time they are waved about or to stress the threat of using one etc.

Last edited:
WW2 films have evolved over the years in terms of accuracy.
Up until the nineties, German troops were almost always shown in immaculate early war issued kit with mandatory jackboots and gas mask cases, arms were always Kar 98’s and MP40’s, even in campaigns set late in the war. Nowadays, there is more of the ad hoc kampfgruppe look about the depictions and the uniforms and arms show the evolutions such as ankle boots, gaiters and STG 44’s and G43’s.
I’ll be really impressed when I start seeing foreign volunteer arm shields and cuff bands. Quite a few foreign elements of the German forces fought on until the end.
The old Vic Morrow ''Combat'' series used to feature G43 rifles quite a bit among the Kar 98k's and it was in ''Go For Broke'' alongside a modified Reising SMG

What I used to hate was the WW1 Stahlhelms in 50's movies like ''To Hell and Back'', ''Attack''

Any Sci-Fi where there is an astronaut wearing a helmet, whether it be a spacecraft pilot (eg Battlestar Galactica) or someone doing a space walk or landing on some planet or moon. The helmets always have a light mounted inside the helmet aiming at the astronaut's face. If this were real they would not see anything outside as the light would just reflect off the inside of the glass and blind them, or the light itself would be in their eyes which also would blind them. I know why film makers do this (so you can recognise who the actor is), but it always makes me cringe. Any helmet mounted light should be outside the glass looking forward.
Fast jet crews flying with visors up and mask hanging in a cavalier fashion from their helmets. Also having to get within about 30 metres of an enemy aircraft before they can shoot it out of the sky. Also...also...huge numbers of aircraft flying in extended line to attack the enemy stronghold or formation.

NSP

LE
Any investigation/rescue mission sent to RV with a deep-space/Mars mission will find the lost spacecraft that's been in space for a few decades in mint condition, still with full power, pure air, no punctures from meteors and other space debris - factory-fresh and with a full load of fuel, in fact.

Any investigation/rescue mission sent to RV with a deep-space/Mars mission will find the lost spacecraft that's been in space for a few decades in mint condition, still with full power, pure air, no punctures from meteors and other space debris - factory-fresh and with a full load of fuel, in fact.
Yebbut, when was the last time you salvaged an interstellar vessel?
I read about it in 2000AD Ace trucking Co. innit
There was this one time, at SpaceCamp etc etc

The old Vic Morrow ''Combat'' series used to feature G43 rifles quite a bit among the Kar 98k's and it was in ''Go For Broke'' alongside a modified Reising SMG

What I used to hate was the WW1 Stahlhelms in 50's movies like ''To Hell and Back'', ''Attack''
I vaguely remember the combat series from when I was a kid. I must try to watch some of it again. I’m with you on the WW1 stalhelms. Worse still though is when Lee Enfields are used to equip axis troops, because they just happen to have wooden furniture and a bolt, so will do as Mausers or Arisakas.