What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

TamH70

MIA
Thank fornication that Hollywood directors seem to be blissfully unaware of the China Lake...

Thankfully, video games creators have heard of it. It shows up twice in Fallout: New Vegas as both itself, and some weird cobbled together creation that fires solid balls of light that explode on impact, instead of the usual forty mike-mike grenades.

US federal agents, members of the CIA or secret service are always depicted in lounge suits, no matter how situationally inappropriate. Whether in Bogata in summer or the northern US in winter. The suits never get dirty, they never tread in animal faeces or step shin deep into a puddle or slip on ice. The black SUV is also the only vehicle they ever drive.
For several years I was working in Alice Springs in Central Australia which also happens to be very near one of Uncle Sam's signals intelligence gathering bases. I was working as a commercial pilot at the time and our office at the airport was almost immediately adjacent to ramp 29 where the aircraft servicing said intelligence base would park so we got a good look at what was coming and going there.

One January, with temperatures closer to 50 C than 40 a Gulfstream pulled up adorned in US government colours. Door opens and three men all dressed in black lounge suits come down the steps and inspect local area then one goes back up and shortly afterwards a man dressed in open neck shirt and chinos comes down and is driven away. The three men in suits then have to stand guard outside of the aircraft for the next two to three hours. The VIP in question turned out to be the US head of signals intelligence for (I think) Pacific & SE Asia.

Those three guards were made of sterner stuff than I. They did not waver or relax the whole time the aircraft was there. However, I bet when the boss turned up and all reboarded there was a huge sigh of relief.

Thankfully, video games creators have heard of it. It shows up twice in Fallout: New Vegas as both itself, and some weird cobbled together creation that fires solid balls of light that explode on impact, instead of the usual forty mike-mike grenades.
Also shows up in Call Of Duty: Black Ops in its original form

NSP

LE
There will, in a "modern" movie, inevitably be at some point a moment where a heroic character will pick up a minigun and fire it, with no noticeable recoil, a 100rd belt hanging out of the mechanism and no apparent power supply. Despite this dearth of power and ammunition, the hero will lay down a good thousand rounds before the gun goes dry and they toss it for the final hand-to-hand denouement with the protagonist.

Redeeming moment: in Boss Level Frank Grillo at least visibly braces against the recoil as he triggers a minigun with no apparent power supply and no evident ammo feed but which nonetheless manages to deliver a good thirty seconds of fire (so, between 2000-3000rds). From the hip...

I mean, I'm no expert but I'm fairly certain that these things are installed on hard mounts in helicopters and so on and not issued on a sling to infantry for a reason...

There will, in a "modern" movie, inevitably be at some point a moment where a heroic character will pick up a minigun and fire it, with no noticeable recoil, a 100rd belt hanging out of the mechanism and no apparent power supply. Despite this dearth of power and ammunition, the hero will lay down a good thousand rounds before the gun goes dry and they toss it for the final hand-to-hand denouement with the protagonist.

Redeeming moment: in Boss Level Frank Grillo at least visibly braces against the recoil as he triggers a minigun with no apparent power supply and no evident ammo feed but which nonetheless manages to deliver a good thirty seconds of fire (so, between 2000-3000rds). From the hip...

I mean, I'm no expert but I'm fairly certain that these things are installed on hard mounts in helicopters and so on and not issued on a sling to infantry for a reason...

For infantry use they run off 3 AAA batteries. Good for days of shooting...
Screenshot_20211020-084916_Chrome.jpg

After 5 minutes of extreme banginess, with shells, grenades, miniguns, mortars, rockets, mines, heavy machine guns, the sergeant can ask, in a normal voice 'Are you guys Ok?'
And everyone, even those 30 yard away, hears him say it.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Tell you what you don't see any more a scene which was in almost every British film up to the 70's

Scruffy old boy with a tray around his neck " wanna buy a box or matches Guv "

TamH70

MIA
Tell you what you don't see any more a scene which was in almost every British film up to the 70's

Scruffy old boy with a tray around his neck " wanna buy a box or matches Guv "

That very thing showed up in one of those horror anthology films - Donald Pleasance was the seller, I think it was Ian Bannen who was the buyer, and the whole thing was connected to an antiques shop ran by a very creep Peter Cushing.

This film, in fact:

syrup

LE
After 5 minutes of extreme banginess, with shells, grenades, miniguns, mortars, rockets, mines, heavy machine guns, the sergeant can ask, in a normal voice 'Are you guys Ok?'
And everyone, even those 30 yard away, hears him say it.

Out going Mortars simply make a tonk noise also allowing everyone to fire them and call out orders to those round them

TamH70

MIA
At the risk of being accused of repetition in the thread - "Over and out".

Heresy! Purge the user of False Voice Procedure! Get him Hence to a Signals School!

TamH70

MIA
Roger that :D

I've said that a few times on the net over in BATUS. Usually while trying to keep the OpFor, Battlegroup, and our own DS staff from trying to kill themselves on range roads. Idiots the whole damn lot of them.

Latest Threads