What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

arfah

ADC
These superhero films where an entire urban area, typically New York, gets completely flattened. What’s the human cost? Also who cleans up and rebuilds? I bet it ain’t some beefer in spandex with a broom or magic cement mixer.

Have you seen NY, lately?

Vagrants/Street dwellers and garbage alles über der plaatz.

No one would notice the aftermath of a super villain vs super hero clash.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Indeed, Captain Kirk is never taking a dump when the Klingons turn up. Perhaps they have reverse replicators in their colons. Which would be useful, as they have no pockets in their trousers to store bum roll if they beam down for a shït…

Pockets in special costumes (scI-fi uniforms, etc) cost money so they are generally not made. However, in one episode of Battlestar Galactica, one scene required Commander Adama (the brilliant Edward James Olmos) to produce an item from his trouser pocket. A special uniform (with pockets), was made for him.

He spent most of that episode wandering around with his hands in his pockets whiich, reportedly, annoyed the other cast members no end. I can’t remember which episode it was, but if you see it, you’ll see Edward James Olmos with his hands constantly in his pockets with a very smug grin on his face. Top bloke.

Edited to correct stupid spellchecker and grandma.

Last edited:
You never see Kirk taking a dump, but you do hear lots of references to the Captain's log
Maybe they use the transporter to beam the doo-doo directly over the side. No mess, no fuss.

RABC

LE
Pockets in special costumes (scI-fi uniforms, etc) cost money so they are generally not made. However, in one episode of Battlestar Galactica, one scene required Commander Adama (the brilliant Edward James Olmos) to produce an item from his trouser pocket. A social uniform (with pockets), was made for him.

He spent most of that episode wandering around with his hands in his pockets, whiich, reportedly, annoyed the other cast members no end. I can’t remember which episode it was, but if you see it, you’ll see Edward James Olmos with his hands constantly in his pockets with a very smug grin on his face. Top bloke.

Thought it was Lorne Green

Pockets in special costumes (scI-fi uniforms, etc) cost money so they are generally not made. However, in one episode of Battlestar Galactica, one scene required Commander Adama (the brilliant Edward James Olmos) to produce an item from his trouser pocket. A social uniform (with pockets), was made for him.

He spent most of that episode wandering around with his hands in his pockets, whiich, reportedly, annoyed the other cast members no end. I can’t remember which episode it was, but if you see it, you’ll see Edward James Olmos with his hands constantly in his pockets with a very smug grin on his face. Top bloke.
As I recall the uniforms in Babylon 5 had pockets from the start, Garibaldi has frequently got his hands in his pockets in fact.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Thought it was Lorne Green

Lorne Green in the original 1978 series, Edward James Olmos in the 2004 reboot.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Indeed, Captain Kirk is never taking a dump when the Klingons turn up. Perhaps they have reverse replicators in their colons. Which would be useful, as they have no pockets in their trousers to store bum roll if they beam down for a shït…
Possibly because Kirk is played by W Shatner, past tense you see.

exspy

LE
I've yet to be pulled over by Plod but the day it happens the conversation will go something like this:-

As it happens, I was caught speeding today by an unmarked radar-equipped car while driving my wife's son to work. Female officer said I was doing 90 km/h in a 60 zone. I confess, I didn't address her as a young welp nor did I insist she refer to me as Mr. Exspy. It was all please and thank-you's from me, and for a reason. Over here, officers have the discretion to reduce the speed observed when writing up the ticket. For instance, I was doing 30 km/h over the limit. Four points off your driver's licence and a fine in the three figure realm. She reduced the speed on the ticket to 15 Km/h over. Result? No points and a two figure fine, which I will pay with much alacrity.

Having the satisfaction of calling her names and insisting on being treated with undue respect was not worth 4 points off my licence and a couple of hundred bucks in fines.

I must confess however, that I have my old police business card which I carry with my ownership and insurance and include whenever I present my documents after a traffic stop, The officer immediately returned it saying "I won't be needing this." Kids today.

endure

GCM
It makes my teeth itch watching a "fly on the wall" programme such as infest Dave about the old bill, and twenty-something plod is pulling D-Day veteran type over and tapping on the window then, when it is wound down, going, "Alright, mate?! How's it going...?"

No, you whelp. It's, "Good afternoon, sir. How are you today?"

I've yet to be pulled over by Plod but the day it happens the conversation will go something like this:-

PC: "Alright, mate? How's it going...?"

Me: "Good afternoon, constable. How may I be of assistance today? Oh, by the way and begging your pardon but we've just met and thus I am not your mate. You will please address me as 'sir' or, having learned my name, as Mr. ******. In return I will show my respect for your office and the authority of your (somewhat scruffy compared to the one worn by my dad in the '60s) uniform and your holding of the Queen's warrant by addressing you as 'constable' or 'sir'."

Depending on how that goes I may or may not add something along the lines of, "I shall address you as 'sir' and you shall address me as 'sir' - only you will actually mean it."
Is this you with the jeans on?

PRI_169890349-640x360.jpg

NSP

LE
As it happens, I was caught speeding today by an unmarked radar-equipped car while driving my wife's son to work. Female officer said I was doing 90 km/h in a 60 zone. I confess, I didn't address her as a young welp nor did I insist she refer to me as Mr. Exspy. It was all please and thank-you's from me, and for a reason. Over here, officers have the discretion to reduce the speed observed when writing up the ticket. For instance, I was doing 30 km/h over the limit. Four points off your driver's licence and a fine in the three figure realm. She reduced the speed on the ticket to 15 Km/h over. Result? No points and a two figure fine, which I will pay with much alacrity.

Having the satisfaction of calling her names and insisting on being treated with undue respect was not worth 4 points off my licence and a couple of hundred bucks in fines.

I must confess however, that I have my old police business card which I carry with my ownership and insurance and include whenever I present my documents after a traffic stop, The officer immediately returned it saying "I won't be needing this." Kids today.
Dickhead; addressing a constable as "constable" is showing due respect, given that they are a constable and carry the Queens warrant as such. I mean, they would be less than impressed if they were addressed with, "Wotchoo want, cunt...?" Which is quite common, apparently.

Last edited:

Local road intersection has two lanes going straight, one turning left.
People come bombing down centre lane, and forcing their way into the queue of left turners, crossing a solid white line.
Aha - what is this? Plod round the corner pulling in all the queue jumpers.
Mate of mine is often one of the cops on duty.
If you are nice and polite, suitably grovelly, you'll pick up a fine and an 'on your way, sir'.
IF you want to be a dick about it, expect a 'full monty' check on license, car registration, a 'roadworthy' check, search for outstanding warrants, breathalyser ("Morning after") etc etc etc
The record in 90 minutes, I'm told.

Do they even bother stopping matatus? Absolutely no regard for the law and blow right past cops who pretend they haven't seen them.

Every Star Trek, particularly the 90's telly (not TV) series', seems to be resolved with a flick of a switch or some tech being fixed on the spaceship.
You can always reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.

Otherwise known as low level police corruption. If the superiors tolerate that then they can expect no respect from the public that they are supposed to be policing by consent. The rozzers may think it's dead clever and cool to be bullies, but the public don't.
I don't have any Superiors mate. Only the wife and she's not here.